It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
(female)

MommyPox HB User
ACCUTANE vs SPIRONOLATONE (females)

Hi all,
I was just wondering, to those with experience, what do you think would be better for someone who hasn't had either? The permantent dry lips thing about accutane really sounds bad to me. But I am afraid to go on spiro because I am so scarred of being disappoined again. I can't help but get my hopes up everytime I try something new.

Any females with a spiro story to tell?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
(female)

mgowdy HB User
Re: ACCUTANE vs SPIRONOLATONE (females)

I did not want to try the accutane because of all the possible side effects. I have been on spironolactone for at least 3 years now. It does help, but I still get the cysts ( I have cystic acne which I got when I was 24 and pregnant with my son) sometimes, just not as often. I take Doryx when I get them. Some of them are still very bad. But, I do have to say it has helped. I take 2 pills a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
(female)

MommyPox HB User

C'mon, there must be more than one female who has taken htis, plz tell us

Old 01-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I've never taken spiro before, but I was on accutane. I know there are a lot of horror stories out there about it, but it worked like a miracle for me. My last pill was in September and I've had one pimple since, which was easily covered by my hair. It didn't last too long like mine usually do. No bad side effects except chapped lips, slight dry nose, and dry skin.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
(female)

MommyPox HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGirl44
I've never taken spiro before, but I was on accutane. I know there are a lot of horror stories out there about it, but it worked like a miracle for me. My last pill was in September and I've had one pimple since, which was easily covered by my hair. It didn't last too long like mine usually do. No bad side effects except chapped lips, slight dry nose, and dry skin.
Have the chapped lips stayed after you stopped the accutane? I read that it had become a permanent problem afterwards and some are required to put lip gloss every ten min or so. Even years after the accutane

Old 01-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #6

honeybearkitty HB User

I take Spiro and it has helped tremendously! I would very highly suggest trying Spiro before Accutane. Spiro has been used for 20-30 years and is soooooooooo much safer than taking Accutane!!! Also, people who've not had luck with Accutane have had results with Spiro. I myself would NEVER even consider taking Accutane! The Spiro cleared my acne by 95% within 3 weeks. I take 100mg/day.

Old 01-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
(female)

saxlover12 HB User

Hi, I haven't tried that other thing you mentioned, but I was on an Accutaine Treatment (40mg) for 6 months, and it worked like magic on me. I went from having severe acne, to basically only red spots (from the acne--which is supposed to go away, the dermsaid) left, and my face has totally changed. Instead of getting the huge pimples everyday, I might get 1 or two tiny ones once a week, that go away like overnight.

[ No off-board contact of any kind, for any reason. No exceptions. ].

By the way, the chapped lips thing went away after about a month I was off accutaine.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-08-2005 at 04:43 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Old 01-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

I've only been on spiro, not Accutane, and I love it. I stayed on the topicals I was on before also to help keep things under control.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
Inactive

Aries872 HB User

I am on spiro. I like it. Helps with my oily skin (and hair) and overall skin texture. I take 50mg in the A.M. and 50 in the P.M. Another side effect, which i personally enjoy is that i have gone up a cup size in my breasts and they are firmer. I will go down to 50mg a day for maitainance here soon. I had started taking it for a particularly bad breakout. Hope this helps. I have never taken Accutane.

Aries872

Old 01-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
(female)

MommyPox HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxlover12
Hi, I haven't tried that other thing you mentioned, but I was on an Accutaine Treatment (40mg) for 6 months, and it worked like magic on me. I went from having severe acne, to basically only red spots (from the acne--which is supposed to go away, the dermsaid) left, and my face has totally changed. Instead of getting the huge pimples everyday, I might get 1 or two tiny ones once a week, that go away like overnight.

[ No off-board contact of any kind, for any reason. No exceptions. ]

By the way, the chapped lips thing went away after about a month I was off accutaine.

My email address is [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Last edited by moderator2; 01-08-2005 at 04:45 AM. Reason: No off-board contact of any kind, for any reason. No exceptions.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:36 AM   #11

Kelly1212 HB User

I've been on accutane twice and now i'm on spiro.The accutane helped me but hasn't completely cleared my skin.I've only been on spiro for nearly two weeks so i can't comment on whether that works for me yet.I can't say which one you should try first.I guess you'll just have to pick one and try it and if it works...great,if it doesn't you can always try the other one

Those of you who are on or have been on spiro;my skin is breaking out worse nearly two weeks in.Did you have an initial breakout?If so,when did it pass?Also,when did you start noticing an improvement and when did your skin actually clear?

thanks

Last edited by Kelly1212; 01-08-2005 at 03:37 AM.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPox
Have the chapped lips stayed after you stopped the accutane? I read that it had become a permanent problem afterwards and some are required to put lip gloss every ten min or so. Even years after the accutane
Chapped lips aren't a problem for me anymore. I'd say within 1 to 1 1/2 months my lips were back to normal.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
Inactive

Aries872 HB User

No initial Breakout for me!! Sorry to hear that.

Aries872

Old 01-09-2005, 06:40 AM   #14

busybee HB User

I used Spironolactone for about for about 2-3 months. The only reason I stopped was b/c I got pregnant. In those months I immediately noticed a change in oil production. I am 31 and have been a grease factory since puberty so this was wonderful. Since I wasn't on it any longer I can't say a lot about it. I am off all prescription meds b/c I am pregnant and I would love to stay that way after giving birth....but I will resume Spiro. if needed and resume taking Doryx, the antibiotic I used b/f getting pregnant.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #15
(female)

LauraOSU05 HB User

I am on 50mg of Spiro/day. Unfortunately, I have yet to see major results b/c I was taking it concurrently with OTC Lo--which broke me out horribly. I just got switched to TriNessa 28, so I am hoping that, with this BCP, my skin will be more tolerant to all of my medications.

If I did have an initial breakout on Spiro, I wouldn't have known b/c of OTC Lo....sorry you are having problems Kelly. How many mg/day are you taking? I started out with 25mg/day and was just moved up to 50mg/day in December. Maybe you should work your way up to 100mg...that is what I am planning on doing! Good luck!

Closed Thread