It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

pandi428 HB User
Birth Control, Differin, Help!

I am a 22 year old female, who started to get acne pretty late in my teens, around 17. I've been seeing the same derm for 5 years and I have been using Differin gel (at night) for 5 years. My skin has never completely cleared up. I tried going off the Differin a while back and my face just went nuts, I think I'm dependent on it now. I was also on Duac Gel during the day, but it wasn't helping much at all. I tried oral antibiotics, but they just caused me to get yeast infections so I had to stop taking them. Over the summer, I tried Retin A Micro, but it was WAY too harsh for my skin, making it dry, itchy, red, and breaking out like crazy. Last year, I started birth control pills in another effort to clear my skin. I was on Yasmin and my skin did start to clear up a little bit. I was pretty happy with the results, but I wanted my skin to be completely clear so I thought I would try Ortho-Cyclen. I was put on the generic of that, Sprintec. I've been on Sprintec for 3 months now and I am not happy with it. I feel like my face is worse than ever. I am constantly breaking out on the sides of my face and my forehead. These areas were relatively clear before the Sprintec. My derm also prescribed me Cleocin T 1% Pledgets to use during the day. Does this make acne worse before its better? I'm going to call my gyno tomorrow and see about getting switched back to Yasmin. I don't know what else to do, I am so frustrated!! I'm also thinking about seeing a new derm. Has anyone had succeess with Yasmin? Have I been on Differin too long? I'd appreciate anyone's opinions or similar experiences. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

honey4 HB User
Re: Birth Control, Differin, Help!

If I were you I would try Accutane. It might be the best way to go. I know two people who tried it. It worked for one person right way. The other had to go back to it, and now his acne's all cleared up.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

pandi428 HB User

I would consider trying Accutane, but my derm has never seemed to think my acne is THAT bad. I am really going to try a new derm, I'm sick of her rushing me out of the office and not taking my concerns seriously. I'm also unsure why she is keeping me on Differin gel when I've been on it for 5 years and my skin isn't clear. I'd like to get another derm's opinion. Thanks for your response btw.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

I would maybe stick it out with the tri-sprintec for a couple more months. I'm on retin-a/doxy/tri-sprintec and things started to really clear up for me after about 4-5 months.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

Katrina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandi428
I am a 22 year old female, who started to get acne pretty late in my teens, around 17. I've been seeing the same derm for 5 years and I have been using Differin gel (at night) for 5 years. My skin has never completely cleared up. I tried going off the Differin a while back and my face just went nuts, I think I'm dependent on it now. I was also on Duac Gel during the day, but it wasn't helping much at all. I tried oral antibiotics, but they just caused me to get yeast infections so I had to stop taking them. Over the summer, I tried Retin A Micro, but it was WAY too harsh for my skin, making it dry, itchy, red, and breaking out like crazy. Last year, I started birth control pills in another effort to clear my skin. I was on Yasmin and my skin did start to clear up a little bit. I was pretty happy with the results, but I wanted my skin to be completely clear so I thought I would try Ortho-Cyclen. I was put on the generic of that, Sprintec. I've been on Sprintec for 3 months now and I am not happy with it. I feel like my face is worse than ever. I am constantly breaking out on the sides of my face and my forehead. These areas were relatively clear before the Sprintec. My derm also prescribed me Cleocin T 1% Pledgets to use during the day. Does this make acne worse before its better? I'm going to call my gyno tomorrow and see about getting switched back to Yasmin. I don't know what else to do, I am so frustrated!! I'm also thinking about seeing a new derm. Has anyone had succeess with Yasmin? Have I been on Differin too long? I'd appreciate anyone's opinions or similar experiences. Thanks so much.
Hello, I am a 25 year old female with basically the same exact skin issues as you. If you want to clear up hormonal acne, don't switch to orthocyclin from yasmin! That is going in the wrong direction. I believe there is less estrogen in ortho which promotes higher testosterone levels (what causes hormonal acne). It completely screwed my skin up for more than 3 years. Yasmin is also anti-androgen. I had terrible skin on orthocyclin (to the other folks, please take note that we are talking about regular ortho, NOT the tri which is different). I recently switched to Yasmin and am on my third month and have seen awsome results. I too, am on differin (which my skin loves and I don't think I could go off of it either) and I quit duac too, because it was only making my skin red. If I were you, I would get off ortho immediately and try riding out Yasmin for at least 4 months and see if you notice results. Also, consider using gentle organic products and procedures on your skin (along with the differin which I still use as well). These changes have really helped with my sensitive skin/redness issues that I think are hormone related as well as my acne. I have never tried it, but I also heard that Spiro in conjunction with Yasmin is a great combo for hormone-related acne in women. I had severe acne and cleared it without resorting to accutane. If I were you, I would try other methods before trying accutane to avoid the possible major side effects, including possible birth defects in future children if you want them someday. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #6

Lady_Raven HB User

I was on ortho-tricyclen... that's supposed to help your skin, right? Well it made my skin worse than ever. I ended up switching to min ovral.

I use differin as well and it keeps my acne under control. However, recently I stopped using it and now I just use cetaphil cleanser with clindamycin in it. I can not stress enough how amazing cetaphil with clindamycin is. I think everyone with acne should ask their dr to prescribe it to them. It's so gentle and it doesn't dry your skin out too much.

You mentioned you've been getting a lot of acne on the side of your face. Do you change your pillow case often? And do you try really hard not to touch your face? I used to get acne on the side of my face and even under my jaw just because it touched my pillow case (a clean one). I had to sleep with as little of my face touching the pillow as possible in order for it not to break out.

I would try staying on the bc that you're on now just because it's only been a couple of months and it's normal for your acne to flare up for the first few months. Seriously, ask your dermatologist to prescribe you cetaphil with clindamycin... it works WONDERS. It's the only thing that has worked for me and I've even been on accutane. I wash my face with the cetaphil/clindamycin twice a day and use the differin gel once a day.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Raven
I was on ortho-tricyclen... that's supposed to help your skin, right? Well it made my skin worse than ever. I ended up switching to min ovral.

I use differin as well and it keeps my acne under control. However, recently I stopped using it and now I just use cetaphil cleanser with clindamycin in it. I can not stress enough how amazing cetaphil with clindamycin is. I think everyone with acne should ask their dr to prescribe it to them. It's so gentle and it doesn't dry your skin out too much.

You mentioned you've been getting a lot of acne on the side of your face. Do you change your pillow case often? And do you try really hard not to touch your face? I used to get acne on the side of my face and even under my jaw just because it touched my pillow case (a clean one). I had to sleep with as little of my face touching the pillow as possible in order for it not to break out.

I would try staying on the bc that you're on now just because it's only been a couple of months and it's normal for your acne to flare up for the first few months. Seriously, ask your dermatologist to prescribe you cetaphil with clindamycin... it works WONDERS. It's the only thing that has worked for me and I've even been on accutane. I wash my face with the cetaphil/clindamycin twice a day and use the differin gel once a day.

Good luck!
Can you use the cetaphil with clindamycin if you're using retin-a at night? What size bottle does the cetaphil come in? my perscriptions are kind of expensive, so I'm wondering how fast it would take for me to go through a bottle.. Thanks for your help

Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #8

Lady_Raven HB User

Hi Peachy,
Yeah, you can use it with Retin-A. Also, the bottle it's in is just the size you see in the store of the cetaphil. They take a bottle of it off the shelf and put the clindamycin in it. Mine lasts me for about two months but I only use mine once a day now that my skin isn't bad. Seriously the stuff is amazing with the clindamycin in it. I don't think it's very expensive either.... wayyyy less expensive than most prescription cleansers.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Like you, Differin hasn't COMPLETELY cleared up my skin but knock on wood it sure does a good job. I've been on it over 2 years and if I start to get lazy about it I always break out.
You didn't say why you switched from Yasmin. If you were having problems with it you might consider Desogen. I had to make that switch and I'm pretty happy.
Spironolactone is another thing you could try.

Closed Thread