It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

honey4 HB User
Exclamation Acne Depression?! HELP ME!!

Has anyone felt depressed because of their acne? Tell your story.
Sometimes I feel that my acne is all others see in me. This makes me feel so rotten and ugly. Has anyone ever had this happen?
Is it normal to feel this way?
Does anyone have an acne "pick-me-up" that might help me?

Last edited by honey4; 01-09-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

honey4 HB User
Re: Acne Depression?!

Anyone? Please!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #3

Lady_Raven HB User

When I had bad acne I wouldn't even leave my house unless I absolutely had to. When I did I felt like everyone was looking at my face and how disgusting it was. I tried using coverup but that didn't help. I refused to look at myself in mirrors or reflections of any sort.

What do you do for your skin? I went to my doctor and I asked him to prescribe me cetaphil with clindamycin and differin gel. Now my skin is just fine. Tell me what you use and maybe I can help. I've tried almost everything! I have lots of really good tips though because I suffered from acne for almost 10 years.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I starting getting really bad acne just before summer. I had it on my back, chest, neck and face - I felt HORRENDOUS. I couldn't even wear a tanktop or anything nice and I wore a hat all the time. I had to wear full foundation even on the hottest days - which of course felt like my acne was worse.

Though It's cleared up by about 98% now but it was a horrible experience to go through. I was obsessed. All I wanted to do was find a cure. I felt it prevented me from living a full life.

I think its perfectly normal to feel depressed when you have acne because its so disfiguring (please, no offense intended to burn victims who are extremely and painfully disfigured)

I don't know why my acne went after almost 2 years. Maybe that was how long it was meant to last or maybe its because I've completely changed my diet and started exercising.

Good luck with your situation, I know how you feel.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

honey4 HB User

Thanx for your reply. I use an antibiotic, minocycline, and a Tea Tree and Pumpkin Seed Cleanser that I absolutely love with dalcanin T. I also use a light moisturizer from mary kay.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #6

Lady_Raven HB User

I tried minocyclin but it didn't do anything for me. I went on the pill (min ovral) to even out my hormones and everything and that has definitely kept it under control probably more than anything else. Like I said before, I would give cetaphil with clindamycin a try. I also used to use cetaphil moisturizer but I'm not using eucerin cream because it seems to be the only thing that helps my dry skin in the winter.

Anyway, I completely understand what you're going through. I know how depressing it can be and I don't wish it on anyone. My advice would be just to stay with something long enough so you can see if it will work but DON'T keep using/taking something if it's not helping at all. It's just a matter of either letting it run it's course, finding (if anything) what is causing your acne (mine was allergies) and finding the right remedy.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
(female)

honey4 HB User

i've tried cetaphil and it was too mild. it left my skin feeling too oily. but thanx for the input!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

wesodl HB User

I feel depressed because of my acne. I'm 38 and can't take it anymore. Since I had kids 11 years ago I have had bad skin. I have been on overy antibiotic they prescribe, accutane, birth control pills, topical retin A's, topical antibitics.......
Since my last appointment with my derm, about 1 month ago we have decided that the antibiotics are not doing anything so I have decided to go back on the pill. It's been 3 weeks since I started taking them and am waiting for my skin to get a little better.
Oh, I have also tried, proactive, murad and every OTC there is....
It is definitely hormonal and cycles with my period..
I have been told that I will have to deal with this until menopuase.
It's funny, as I am typing the proactive commercial is in TV

Old 01-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
(male)

fixme HB User

you are definitely not alone with this...I have taken so many days off of school when i get a few zits because I just feel so ugly. I put my hand over the zits that i get some times around my chin and look at myself and i look SO good and it just bugs the crap out of me how these little tiny things can just throw off my entire appearance like that. i am usually clear but some times it can come out of nowhere and really get to me

Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

Fixme, I know what you're saying!!!! Boy acne pisses me off!
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 01-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Inactive

atti HB User

I want to kill myself when my face gets really bad. I feel ugly to the world.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #12
(female)

MommyPox HB User

No, I also feel very depressed because of my acne. I don't leave my house either. Unless i have to ofcourse. But that alone could depress anyone. when I do go out, i notice when people look at me, and i know why they are looking. I have only gotten really bad since I had my last baby, so I feel like if i hide in my house I can hide from people till it clears up, then they will have never seen me at my worse. Buts that's kinda crazy isn't it? When my skin was clear (2-4 pimples tops) I felt like I was ugly, now when I look in the mirror, I feel like I have a pretty face hidden by all these pimples. So when, or IF, my skin ever clears, I will appreciate my face alot more. I think I will be more confident than ever. It will be like getting freedom back. Am I crazy? Or do other people feel like me?

Old 01-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

No your not crazy. I wouldn't go out. Look at my face like every 30 mins. Wash my face alot and pick on my face. Felt very depress , I even wanted to drop out of highschool.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:16 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixme
you are definitely not alone with this...I have taken so many days off of school when i get a few zits because I just feel so ugly. I put my hand over the zits that i get some times around my chin and look at myself and i look SO good and it just bugs the crap out of me how these little tiny things can just throw off my entire appearance like that. i am usually clear but some times it can come out of nowhere and really get to me
lol i kno that trick. i do it all the time too! I dropped out of college because of my acne an trust me thatz not a move that any of you want to do. The secret is just not to stress it. I've seen people come and go pass acne just because they never cared. The one's that do care always seem to struggle longer with it. It's something called STRESSING it to much. An everyone knows STRESS causes acne. But yeah if it helps I'll give you the regimen I'm on right now and it's working wonders!

Morning - Wash face 3 times in the shower with Cetaphil (For Normal to Oily Skin) I like this because you can never overdo it with that cleanser. So on the days your face feels really horrible, you can wash it as much as you want.

Pat my face dry with NAPKINS, don't use the towel you use to take a bath or dry your body whatever!

I wait 15 minutes and throw on the Benzaclin.

Wait 10 minutes until it's dryed up and throw on Banana Boat Sunblock SPF 30 with Aloe and Vitamin E <----- VERY IMPORTANT!!!! The sun is good for your acne but make sure to protect it first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night - Wash face 3 times in the shower with Cetaphil (For Normal to Oily Skin)

Pat my face dry with NAPKINS, don't use the towel you use to take a bath!

Wait 15 minutes an throw on Benzaclin.

Wait 30 minutes - 1 hour and alternating nights I throw on a mask of Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel 100% or Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque.

MAKE SURE TO DRINK AN OUNCE OF WATER FOR EVERY POUND YOU HAVE!!!!! EXAMPLE - I weigh 160 lbs so I drink 160 ounces of water a day!!!!

I also take Milk Thistle capsules 350mg a day divided into 2 servings. 1 at breakfast and 1 at dinner time.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #15

Acid_Rain HB User

You definitely aren't alone in your situation. I've going through rough times myself because of acne. The antibiotics and Accutane and wreak havoc on my skin and general health and when i look at myself in the mirror i feel like disfigured and see no reason to go on.

I went to a private highschool and because of the military discipline they had there, it was impossible for me to skip class, but now i've been in college for 2 years and failed pretty much all of my classes because of the social anxiety that i have due to my acne. I'm not allowed to go back to college this semester because of my bad grades, so acne has not only ruined my social life but it also took away my right to get a good education and the career that goes with it.

Whatever happens, just don't give up. Life isn't easy for everyone, and those of us who have it very rough right now will be the ones who know how to live life at it's fullest one day.

Closed Thread