It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User
worse on accutane

hey guys,

i have been on accutane for a month now, I started off at 20mg's for 1 week and have been on 40mgs for the last 3 weeks. I am getting these horrible cysts that take forever to go away. Is this normal? they usually weren't as big or persistant, I am afraid of scarring. I heard that I should probably see results after about a month, is accutane not right for me, should I be seeing results? Do you think that if I move up to 60mgs it will get worse, because I am getting bumped up next week tuesday the 18th.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
hey guys,

i have been on accutane for a month now, I started off at 20mg's for 1 week and have been on 40mgs for the last 3 weeks. I am getting these horrible cysts that take forever to go away. Is this normal? they usually weren't as big or persistant, I am afraid of scarring. I heard that I should probably see results after about a month, is accutane not right for me, should I be seeing results? Do you think that if I move up to 60mgs it will get worse, because I am getting bumped up next week tuesday the 18th.

This is probably not going to make you feel better, but yes, what you're going through is completely normal. My daughter started at 40 mg and was bumped to 80mg and it just got worse. This might not happen to you if you get bumpled up. Everyone is different. They finally put her on prednisone which took everything down very quickly. She was on prednisone months 3, 4 and 5 gradually reducing the dosage. Do not pick your face. I don't know if dd did or didn't but she has a tendency to do that and also has some scarring. She didn't get good results till right here at the end so try not to get discouraged.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

hopeless118 HB User

Quote:
hey guys,

Hello, I am on day 48 and my skin is still getting worse. The derms keeps telling me that things are going fine! But trust me..i KNOW how frustrating it is!

Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #4

Acid_Rain HB User

Be careful NEVER to play with those big bumps you're getting. I didn't even touch mine and they popped by themselves and gave me 7 gigantic, pit scars for the rest of my life, so be extra careful.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

the thing is everyone says not to pick, but what are you supposed to do when it is a whitehead? It will not go away unless you pick it. What happens with me is that I get a huge bump and I leave it and keep putting some Queen Helene Mint julep mask on it at night until I see something white, I then either poke it with a needle or stretch the skin out and then push from under the bump until the plug comes out and then the thing begins to heal. If I were to just leave it, it just stays there or gets bigger but definitely does not heal on its own. How do you get away without touching them. Oh yeh and by picking do you mean picking off the dead skin or doing what I just said I do? Somebody please help...I reallly don't want scarring

Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

skimom,

what is predisnone?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
skimom,

what is predisnone?
Prednisone - it's an anti-inflammatory steroid drug. It can only be prescribed by your doctor.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimom
Prednisone - it's an anti-inflammatory steroid drug. It can only be prescribed by your doctor.
are there any side effects for taking it?

Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Don't give up in the end you will be clear.

Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

kme0021 HB User

I was on accutane about 7 years ago. It worked great. My sister took it as well and never gets any acne. I just recentely started to break out, but I think a lot of it has to do with my hormones. Nevertheless, after reading about all the side effects of accutane, I am not quite sure I would get on it again.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kme0021
I was on accutane about 7 years ago. It worked great. My sister took it as well and never gets any acne. I just recentely started to break out, but I think a lot of it has to do with my hormones. Nevertheless, after reading about all the side effects of accutane, I am not quite sure I would get on it again.

7 years!!! awesome - I think it would be totally worth the risk to go on it again but that's just me.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
are there any side effects for taking it?
There can be side effects as with any drug. It's a short term treatment. My daughter thought she had a little extra hair growth on her face. That is a possible side effect. I haven't asked her if she thought that went away but I can. I think it can affect your immune system to a degree also

Last edited by skimom; 01-14-2005 at 12:00 PM.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimom
There can be side effects as with any drug. It's a short term treatment. My daughter thought she had a little extra hair growth on her face. That is a possible side effect. I haven't asked her if she thought that went away but I can. I think it can affect your immune system to a degree also
skimom,
but it doesn't cause indents or anything like that does it? becuase i know cortisone shots can. I was also wondering how much vitamin e you had your daughter on becuase i remember you mentioning it. I was also wondering if she is using anything topically and how bad she has scarred or if the vitamin e has helped. Sorry to bombard you with questions

Old 01-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
skimom,
but it doesn't cause indents or anything like that does it? becuase i know cortisone shots can. I was also wondering how much vitamin e you had your daughter on becuase i remember you mentioning it. I was also wondering if she is using anything topically and how bad she has scarred or if the vitamin e has helped. Sorry to bombard you with questions
She has some indents so I don't know if it was the accutane or the prednisone that caused it. She didn't take Vit E after all. I was trying to get her to take 400 iu per day. She's taking any scarring in stride. She said "what do you expect, I had 50 zits on my face". She views anything on her face as temporary so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by skimom; 01-16-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Closed Thread