It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 332
curiousP HB User
worse on accutane

hey guys,

i have been on accutane for a month now, I started off at 20mg's for 1 week and have been on 40mgs for the last 3 weeks. I am getting these horrible cysts that take forever to go away. Is this normal? they usually weren't as big or persistant, I am afraid of scarring. I heard that I should probably see results after about a month, is accutane not right for me, should I be seeing results? Do you think that if I move up to 60mgs it will get worse, because I am getting bumped up next week tuesday the 18th.

 
Old 01-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
hey guys,

i have been on accutane for a month now, I started off at 20mg's for 1 week and have been on 40mgs for the last 3 weeks. I am getting these horrible cysts that take forever to go away. Is this normal? they usually weren't as big or persistant, I am afraid of scarring. I heard that I should probably see results after about a month, is accutane not right for me, should I be seeing results? Do you think that if I move up to 60mgs it will get worse, because I am getting bumped up next week tuesday the 18th.

This is probably not going to make you feel better, but yes, what you're going through is completely normal. My daughter started at 40 mg and was bumped to 80mg and it just got worse. This might not happen to you if you get bumpled up. Everyone is different. They finally put her on prednisone which took everything down very quickly. She was on prednisone months 3, 4 and 5 gradually reducing the dosage. Do not pick your face. I don't know if dd did or didn't but she has a tendency to do that and also has some scarring. She didn't get good results till right here at the end so try not to get discouraged.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37
hopeless118 HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
hey guys,

i have been on accutane for a month now, I started off at 20mg's for 1 week and have been on 40mgs for the last 3 weeks. I am getting these horrible cysts that take forever to go away. Is this normal? they usually weren't as big or persistant, I am afraid of scarring. I heard that I should probably see results after about a month, is accutane not right for me, should I be seeing results? Do you think that if I move up to 60mgs it will get worse, because I am getting bumped up next week tuesday the 18th.
Hello, I am on day 48 and my skin is still getting worse. The derms keeps telling me that things are going fine! But trust me..i KNOW how frustrating it is!

 
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 30
Acid_Rain HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Be careful NEVER to play with those big bumps you're getting. I didn't even touch mine and they popped by themselves and gave me 7 gigantic, pit scars for the rest of my life, so be extra careful.

 
Old 01-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 332
curiousP HB User
Re: worse on accutane

the thing is everyone says not to pick, but what are you supposed to do when it is a whitehead? It will not go away unless you pick it. What happens with me is that I get a huge bump and I leave it and keep putting some Queen Helene Mint julep mask on it at night until I see something white, I then either poke it with a needle or stretch the skin out and then push from under the bump until the plug comes out and then the thing begins to heal. If I were to just leave it, it just stays there or gets bigger but definitely does not heal on its own. How do you get away without touching them. Oh yeh and by picking do you mean picking off the dead skin or doing what I just said I do? Somebody please help...I reallly don't want scarring

 
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 332
curiousP HB User
Re: worse on accutane

skimom,

what is predisnone?

 
Old 01-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
skimom,

what is predisnone?
Prednisone - it's an anti-inflammatory steroid drug. It can only be prescribed by your doctor.

 
Old 01-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 332
curiousP HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimom
Prednisone - it's an anti-inflammatory steroid drug. It can only be prescribed by your doctor.
are there any side effects for taking it?

 
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 591
DiselPower4 HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Don't give up in the end you will be clear.

 
Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 44
kme0021 HB User
Re: worse on accutane

I was on accutane about 7 years ago. It worked great. My sister took it as well and never gets any acne. I just recentely started to break out, but I think a lot of it has to do with my hormones. Nevertheless, after reading about all the side effects of accutane, I am not quite sure I would get on it again.

 
Old 01-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kme0021
I was on accutane about 7 years ago. It worked great. My sister took it as well and never gets any acne. I just recentely started to break out, but I think a lot of it has to do with my hormones. Nevertheless, after reading about all the side effects of accutane, I am not quite sure I would get on it again.

7 years!!! awesome - I think it would be totally worth the risk to go on it again but that's just me.

 
Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
are there any side effects for taking it?
There can be side effects as with any drug. It's a short term treatment. My daughter thought she had a little extra hair growth on her face. That is a possible side effect. I haven't asked her if she thought that went away but I can. I think it can affect your immune system to a degree also

Last edited by skimom; 01-14-2005 at 12:00 PM.

 
Old 01-16-2005, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 332
curiousP HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimom
There can be side effects as with any drug. It's a short term treatment. My daughter thought she had a little extra hair growth on her face. That is a possible side effect. I haven't asked her if she thought that went away but I can. I think it can affect your immune system to a degree also
skimom,
but it doesn't cause indents or anything like that does it? becuase i know cortisone shots can. I was also wondering how much vitamin e you had your daughter on becuase i remember you mentioning it. I was also wondering if she is using anything topically and how bad she has scarred or if the vitamin e has helped. Sorry to bombard you with questions

 
Old 01-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: worse on accutane

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
skimom,
but it doesn't cause indents or anything like that does it? becuase i know cortisone shots can. I was also wondering how much vitamin e you had your daughter on becuase i remember you mentioning it. I was also wondering if she is using anything topically and how bad she has scarred or if the vitamin e has helped. Sorry to bombard you with questions
She has some indents so I don't know if it was the accutane or the prednisone that caused it. She didn't take Vit E after all. I was trying to get her to take 400 iu per day. She's taking any scarring in stride. She said "what do you expect, I had 50 zits on my face". She views anything on her face as temporary so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by skimom; 01-16-2005 at 05:21 PM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
acne back and worse than ever suzannecaroline Acne 0 12-06-2006 05:25 PM
Think Accutane made my skin worse.... XxDecember88xX Acne 9 07-29-2006 08:09 PM
acne worse on one side of face indianacne Acne 18 12-09-2005 10:51 AM
So what's all of this about AccuTane Making your Acne Worse? Initial Breakout.etc.??? LynX21 Acne 4 08-24-2005 12:37 PM
Sunlight Makes Acne Worse. . . mikegoons Acne 4 06-19-2005 02:23 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Accutane
Aspirin
Benzoyl
Clindamycin
Differin
  Accutane
Aspirin
Benzoyl
Clindamycin
Differin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



WhenItRains (10), ClearSkinRomy (6), mmisty (5), MSNik (5), poozers (3), jonnstar (3), LitS917 (2), lisamariemoon (2), ladybud (2), crookedhearts (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1162), MSJayhawk (992), Apollo123 (890), Titchou (827), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (757), ladybud (744), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!