It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
Thumbs up Getting thePoint Across: Definition of “Healthy”

With so many threads and posts about the diet-acne correlation, I thought that by now most acne sufferers that come to this forum would understand the knowledge and apply it properly.

However, that is isn’t the case.

As an acne war veteran, I still keep reading and reading numerous posts and threads of people claiming to be eating “healthy”, and other threads and posts with people giving advice to others to eat “healthy” and to eat “lots of fruits and vegetables.” Eating lots of fruits and vegetables can be one of the best and TERRIBLY WORST things you could do to your face.

Tell me first, what is healthy? Please define what is healthy.
Tell me, Is the Atkins diet suppose to be healthy? It is heavily controversial, with the Atkins Diet leading to many long term health consequences.

Next, is Milk suppose to be “healthy?” Sure, got milk? = Got height?
But this is the same case for Got Milk? = Got Zits? Got Milk? = Got Mucus? Got Milk ? = Got Fat? Got Milk? = Got Prostate cancer?

Now, when you are defining “healthy,” most of you think of “healthy” in terms of general well-being of the body and fighting long term fatal diseases like cancer and heart attack. However, “healthy” for skin and “healthy” for the entire body is not the same thing. When most of you think of “healthy”, you simply eliminate the oils and fatty foods and whatever society condemns as “unhealthy.” That’s a good starting point. Instead, you are eating what you regard as “healthy”. Make no mistake about it, these foods may be indeed “healthy” in providing essential nutrients for the body, but at the same time, they may be triggering acne. Simply put, there are HEALTHY FOOD THAT CAUSE ACNE.

For example,

Eating carrots provides a certain type of vitamin A good for vision and is also a source of vitamin c, but carrots are high in sugar, that can cause acne.
Eating bananas provides potassium, but also causes acne.
Eating milk can make you grow taller and develop stronger bones, but can also cause acne.
Eating fish can be a source of protein and can lower cholesterol, but it is rich in iodine, which can possibly trigger acne.
Eating breads and pastas provide are carbohydrates that provide energy, but are converted into sugars that not only cause fat but acne as well.

Fortunately, many of you have begun to stop eating foods such as breads and pastas can contribute to acne. That’s a good start. Next, many of you have already been avoiding junk foods, greasy foods, and sweets. That’s another good thing. But again, many of you still fall into the misconception of what is “healthy” and what is not.

Another example, some people eliminate eating bagels, greasy fried eggs, and fatty sausages for breakfast. Instead, they start eating the so called healthy breakfast cereal and milk, which is no better. Corn is a possible cause of acne. Cereal is a type of a corn. What makes things worst: cereal + milk = acne tag team power combo. I suggest eating oatmeal instead.

Therefore, stop advising other people in this forum to eat “healthy”. It is such a vague term and often misleads them into eating the wrong foods. First, you have to define what healthy really is. Think in terms of what is “healthy” for your skin. Next, stop advising other people to “eat lots of fruits and vegetables.” This is a terrible, and I do mean TERRIBLE, generalization to make. Again, you might lead them into signing their death warrant for their face. (this is what happened to me before).

Another thing, this is not just the issue with food, but this includes vitamins as well. I used to take Centrum, with the assumption that it was healthy for my face and it broke me out terribly.

Trust me. Really. Seriously. I have read many many horrific tales of people taking the so called "healthy" appoach by eating "lots of fruits & vegetables" and their face getting worst. People are so misled. So for your sake and your skin's sake, please open your mind and really look at ALL the food you are eating. Stop assuming that what is traditionally regarded as "healthy" won't hurt your face.

Instead of unhealthy vs healthy, think in terms of inflammatory vs anti-inflammatory.

There are many threads and posts with diets with foods, and if you research well you will notice how many healthy foods some people lists as possible precipitator of acne. From there, it is up to you customize what foods would apply to you.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by froe; 05-14-2005 at 10:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
(female)

MissK HB User
Re: Getting thePoint Across: Definition of “Healthy”

So basically we're all screwed. ha.

Since I've become older, I have become more health conscious. However, I still eat crap and love the crap I eat. But I do take vitamins everyday and have been for quite a while... and I don't mean just the "multi-vitamin"... I take 12 vitamins a day. Some of them twice a day. Some of them I have to take with meals and others on an empty stomach....

Not only do I feel more well rested, have NOT been ill or a small small cold (sniffles, cough, etc) for 3 years now, but my acne has dramatically reduced. Now, the only time I break out is the week of my period.

Vitamins have worked for me. but peoples bodies are completely different from one another, so this could really mess up someone else.

so again we're all pretty much screwed.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

frogprince and acid rain, your posts were very informative and i agree with alot of what you both have posted. We all know what foods are healthy, but u are correct that some of these "healthy foods" do aggravate acne. We need to figure out what foods effect our own skin because we are all different. some people have oily skin with acne, while others have dry with acne, some with little breakouts and some with cystic acne...all acne is not the same and while alot of us come on this website to find help and cures, we have to remember what helps one person might aggravate somone elses skin. i know from my own personal experience that fish and carrots do not break me out, but it might break someone else out. i agree with u acidrain when u say milk is horrible, u really dont need to drink it. But as for fruit and veggies i believe they are very important (im not advising everyone to eat them to achieve clear skin) but i know id take a carrot over a doughnut or a nasty cheeseburger anyday, even if the carrot gave me a pimple, for my own satisfaction i would feel so much better putting that into my body rather than a discusting doughnut or a cheeseburger. I know im rambling and what im saying might not make sense but all i know is do whats right for you and just because one person says they cleared their skin a certain way dont expect it to work for you. I should tell you that currently i dont have any pimples and i found out from my own experience what is right for me, and although i do appriciate what has worked for others and i do post what has helped me, in short, everyone is different.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissK
So basically we're all screwed. ha.

Since I've become older, I have become more health conscious. However, I still eat crap and love the crap I eat. But I do take vitamins everyday and have been for quite a while... and I don't mean just the "multi-vitamin"... I take 12 vitamins a day. Some of them twice a day. Some of them I have to take with meals and others on an empty stomach....

Not only do I feel more well rested, have NOT been ill or a small small cold (sniffles, cough, etc) for 3 years now, but my acne has dramatically reduced. Now, the only time I break out is the week of my period.

Vitamins have worked for me. but peoples bodies are completely different from one another, so this could really mess up someone else.

so again we're all pretty much screwed.
Seems that your liver can't handle all the hormones it's getting during your monthly cycle. Try to detoxify your liver and take milk thistle. This should help strengthen it up so when the time comes it can handle it better. :-) Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

MissK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needzhelp
Seems that your liver can't handle all the hormones it's getting during your monthly cycle. Try to detoxify your liver and take milk thistle. This should help strengthen it up so when the time comes it can handle it better. :-) Hope this helps.

hmmm. thanks for the advice. maybe i'll finally be acne-free! haha.

what is milk thistle? and can i get it where i purchase my vitamins??

thanks again!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

yea they sell it in the vitamins area and i also heard chasteberry is good for females that get acne because of their cycle, maybe you might like to google that up.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

For some women, chaste tree supplementation may help to relieve hot flashes and other symptoms associated with menopause. Initial evidence from small studies suggests that the progestins in chaste tree berries may also help to treat acne in some individuals--especially women whose acne seems to be associated with their menstrual cycles. Women who have symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, menopause, or menstrual-related acne should talk to their doctors before beginning to use chaste tree berries, however.

Lol I did it for you I guess.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

MissK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needzhelp
For some women, chaste tree supplementation may help to relieve hot flashes and other symptoms associated with menopause. Initial evidence from small studies suggests that the progestins in chaste tree berries may also help to treat acne in some individuals--especially women whose acne seems to be associated with their menstrual cycles. Women who have symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, menopause, or menstrual-related acne should talk to their doctors before beginning to use chaste tree berries, however.

Lol I did it for you I guess.

haha. thanks!! I'll try the milk thistle first. adult acne is a pain; at least now I know it only pops up during my cycle.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

It's nice to see that many people are recognizing the fact that many of their so called "healthy" food are indeed the acne triggerers.

For me, having been an acne war veteran, I know my skin so well. I just wished I possessed the knowledge I do now about the acne-healthy food correlation back then so I wouldn't have had such bad scarring on my face. If I had stopped foods such as carrots, corn, peas, diary products, and other "healhty foods" the damage on my skin could have been prevented.

In the past I just kept blaming oily foods and fatty foods and avoiding these never even made a difference.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

You've definately got a point that the term "healthy" is about as specific as "a little" or "a lot"!!

I think there are many stages of 'healthy' eating....give up coffee, give up processed foods, eat more veggies, eat ony organic veggies, exchange rice for quinoa or millet, get rid of dairy, portion control, and the final - and I think ultimate stage - is (mainly) a live, raw diet.

I think we made moderations, declare our diet sound - only to discover that we must omit more things. And so on, and so on.

But, I think discourse about diet - via this site amongst other places - is defineatly a positive thing as it makes us think more about what we put into our bodies.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissK
hmmm. thanks for the advice. maybe i'll finally be acne-free! haha.

what is milk thistle? and can i get it where i purchase my vitamins??

thanks again!
Milk thistle is a herb that has been used for centuries to help protect and regenerate the liver (both cure and prevention!!). You can buy it in any healthfood store.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Anibanani HB User

you guys have a lot of good points here; there needs to be a lot more posts like these on the web. Most people are on the antibiotic and prescription cream craze and they don't even realize that acne is an internal problem. Also while some foods can be eaten by one person w/out breaking out it might make another person breakout. So it reallly is about customizing your own diet eliminating what triggers acne on you and not from what others say. Like most people agree that dairy breaks you out but I eat plain yogurt everyday and that doesn't break me out. This whole diet thing is rea;ly hard but it seems like its the only thing that really works. The best way to do it is to eat only fruits and vegetables that are known in general not to cause acne and then start adding food little by little to see what causes breakouts.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anibanani
you guys have a lot of good points here; there needs to be a lot more posts like these on the web. Most people are on the antibiotic and prescription cream craze and they don't even realize that acne is an internal problem. Also while some foods can be eaten by one person w/out breaking out it might make another person breakout. So it reallly is about customizing your own diet eliminating what triggers acne on you and not from what others say. Like most people agree that dairy breaks you out but I eat plain yogurt everyday and that doesn't break me out. This whole diet thing is rea;ly hard but it seems like its the only thing that really works. The best way to do it is to eat only fruits and vegetables that are known in general not to cause acne and then start adding food little by little to see what causes breakouts.
You're so right about people looking for drugs or topicals without regard for diet!!

I went exactly that route and now I'm back where I started but with a 'clean from within' mentality.

Although, I have to say that the medical community doesn't exactly help the lay person when it comes to acne. The first visit with my derm I asked "what should I be eating?" (of course, in addition to my drugs!!) and she said "acne isn't caused by food"

Is there any wonder that we don't first consider food when those who have a doctorate in skin tell us food has no bearing??!!

Old 04-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

there's been a high resurgence of people giving advice to others to eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

sigh. i just thought i'd like to resurrect and bump this thread to get the point across again.

hope it helps them.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Frogprince you've told us what NOT to eat. Now tell us what a good, healthy acne diet is? What SHOULD we eat?

Closed Thread