It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
(male)

Earlman HB User
Ian's Accutane Journal

Hello all. I know there is a few of these Journals on here but I find that its great to talk with people who are at the same stage as you in the Accutane process. I just started Accutane Jan 11th and was prescribed 40mg/day to start. I have moderate acne and usually get 2 or 3 cystic type bumps on a regular basis. I'm turning 30 this year and tried everything. I'm so tired of creams and all the rest of the crap we've all used (not to mention diets, accupunture, holistic approaches and anti-biotics). Lately it has really effected me socially which is so not who I am. I have found some great advice on the board, and have stocked up on lip balm, and cetaphil and hope that my side effects won't be too bad, and of course totally worth it! If anyone else is just starting with accutane, or even people who can add some tips/advice to this thread I would really appreciate sharing my experience. Thanks everyone, I look forward to your posts.
Oh yeah one day in and I'm totally cured.................just kidding!

Old 01-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
(male)

FranktheTank HB User
Re: Ian's Accutane Journal

After going to dermatologist and deciding that you're gonna go on accutane, how long does it take before you actually start taking the drug?? right away??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
(male)

Earlman HB User

For me it was the next day. Most derms require that you have a blood test done to ensure that your liver, cholesterol etc is ok. Once that is done you can start right away like I did. They do make you take monthly blood tests to monitor you during the treatment which sure makes me feel better.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

Earlman, do you mind if I share this journal with you? I am on my 9th day today!

The first 7 days were great...my face was actually looking better and hardly no side effects except a sore back. However, within the last two days my face is breaking out pretty bad -- gosh durn it...I was so hoping that I wouldn't get a bad initial break out.

Oh well, I don't care if I have to go through h*ll the next 5 months...I am staying on it....I haven't had a clear face in 8 years, and I will never know for sure if accutane will do it for me unless I try this.

I don't have chapped lips yet...they just get pretty dry during the day...my oil production has been cut by about 50% which is super nice because I have such oily skin!

Matt

Old 01-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
(male)

tower0509 HB User

I'm on my third day of accutane. No side affects at all except for chapped lips. No new breakouts though. I have a good bit of acne on my back, chest, and shoulders. Zero acne on my face thank God. I'm hoping accutane can clear me up after 2 years of antibiotics. I am 19 years old.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
(male)

Earlman HB User

Matt, I'm glad to share this post with you. It sounds like you are getting the initial break out, but at least it's early in and with any luck maybe it's your last bad one for a long time! I'm on day 3 with no side effects yet. My eyes do feel a bit dry but it may just be in my head right now. Here we go, 5 months of torture but it will be totally worth it!

Ian
PS-Tower you and I are on the exact same day so your updates will be great also. Good luck man!

Old 01-13-2005, 08:49 PM   #7
(male)

FranktheTank HB User

aright cool thx..I'm gunna try and go on it

Old 01-14-2005, 12:06 AM   #8
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

It is so great to have several people around the same day! We can all share our experiences and offer each other support!

Ian - my eyes are a little dry too, and I always thought it was in my head also -- lol. They aren't really dry, but they just get itchy every once in a while.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Matt

Old 01-14-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
(male)

chump HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyRush
Earlman, do you mind if I share this journal with you? I am on my 9th day today!

The first 7 days were great...my face was actually looking better and hardly no side effects except a sore back. However, within the last two days my face is breaking out pretty bad -- gosh durn it...I was so hoping that I wouldn't get a bad initial break out.

that's identical to what i had. first 7 days my oil production decreased, i had no new breakouts, i wasn't dry (not even my lips) and the only side effect i had was a sore back. On about the 8 - 9th day though i started breaking out all around my top lip and nostrils and it's continued and still is going today (my 14th day). i never used to have many spots at all on my top lip but it's really being ravaged at the moment with more coming as soon as others dry up. they do, however, dry up quite quickly.

i'm not getting spots anywhere else apart from my top lip and places very close to it. very bizarre. what scares me is the people who are like "day 47 here... breaking out just as much as before". god i hope i just clear up and remain clear for the duration.

am on 40mgs a day by the way. dont knwo if it will be bumped up to 60 or 80 in 6 weeks time. i'm not having any bloodwork done during my duration though so im not sure.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #10
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

chump,

Why are you not having any bloodwork done? That is strange!

What is very strange about the breakouts I am having is that I never really had this type before. I would always get smaller type cyst that would take a week or two to go away. However, these ones I am getting are pretty small, and there are lots of them. The little buggers hurt...and they are all in one spot -- my chin.

That worries me to about it continuing on for several months! I hope not, but I am prepared for it if it does.

I am on 40 mg a day also.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
(male)

chump HB User

am noty entirely sure. he said everything was in good order before i left ( iahve low cholestorol levels and stuff) and as he is in my home town, and i am currently in my uni town 3 hours away it's a bit messed up. i am seeing him in 7 - 8 weeks though and imagine i will have blood work done then and a possible raise in dosage.

really am quite a mess at the moment though.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #12
(male)

Earlman HB User

Hey. I was wondering what type of products you guys are using to wash your face with. I went straight to the Cetaphil from day 1 based on what I read from other peoples posts. It is actually really nice stuff, but its weird because at the time you are washing your face it doesn't really foam up or anything and it doesn't feel like it's doing much. When your done though it really leaves my skin feeling clean and soft. I guess I'm just just so used to the harsh crap I've been washing with all these years. It's actually a nice change. One other question, is anyone using any topicals for spot treatment? I'm a bit nervouse to put anything on and have heard its not a good idea. Any thoughts?
PS - Day 4 feeling good no side effects yet but I've been using lip chap and lotion in hopes of staying ahead of the game.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
(female)

hopeless118 HB User

Hi all, I have been on accutane for 50 days, 50 mg a day. I know you all have recently started but I thought i would share my experiences so far. I didn't have a really bad initial break out, but my skin is definitely still breaking out. I had moderate acne on my face, mild on my chest, and what i would consider severe on my back. During the first 30 days of accutane I experienced muscle and joint pain. I also had really dry eyes and an extremely dry nose. I'm glad to say that the muscle and joint pain has gone away and my eyes and nose don't seem as dry as before, although i do still frequently use eye drops and aquaphor in my nose. I'm glad to say that my back has had a huge improvement, i think it's headed in the right direction. I'm a little discouraged that my face isn't clearing yet. Every time i think it's starting to head in the right direction the next day or a few days later I am back to square one. I'm still optimistic though. I am so excited that I have finally been put on this pill. I have been through almost every treatment. I have a derm appointment on monday so i'm hoping she'll up my dose and maybe my face will start improving. I wish everyone luch! I know this will work for us!!!

Old 01-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #14
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

Ian,

I use Cetaphil also...it is pretty good stuff.

As far as your question about spot treatment, I haven't really been putting too much on. One day I did put BP on and nothing bad happened.

Hopeless, thanks for sharing your experiences...I am sure things will start getting better for you soon! I am on day 10 today, so I am 5 weeks behind you, lol. I am glad to hear some of your side effects are decreasing.

Matt

Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 AM   #15
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

Day 13 here - I am still dealing with my initial breakout quite badly! Ugh.

What about everyone else?

My other side effects have not really gotten any worse, so I guess that is good.

Matt

Closed Thread