It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive

pocketrocket123 HB User
I hate acne conspiracy theorists.

...aannnd that about sums it up.

Last edited by pocketrocket123; 01-12-2005 at 08:01 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: I hate acne conspiracy theorists.

Yeah. The conspiracy theories are pretty funny and very melodramatic!

Yes, dermatologists spend a lot of their time dealing with acne. But that doesn't mean that they all have some kind of secret motives for not curing it. In general as a society, we are excited by and obsessed with science and pharmaceuticals. Add to it the fact that doctors are indoctrinated into that way of thinking for many years during med school and of course dermatologists are resistent to non-pharmaceutical therapies - as doctors in all fields are. It's pretty silly to imagine that this is unique to dermatologists and that as a group they all have some kind of conspiracy going.

The problems are problems with the whole medical industry, not dermatology in specific.

Last edited by Timber; 01-13-2005 at 08:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

I agree. I think I must have missed the episode where Mulder and Scully uncovered Smokey Man's plot to inflict the plight of acne on every teenager in the US just for sh1ts and giggles

Last edited by Und3rc0v3r; 01-14-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Old 01-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

You also missed the point that the pharmucetical companies own the medical schools. Therfore the only approch that is taught is pills to traet symptoms. Pills are big business and no one is going to rock that boat no matter that all doctors are only traeting symptoms.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

openseason, I live in the UK where our health care is funded through taxes. So there are no profits to be made by healthcare executives in the public sector. And our medical schools are known as "universities" and they are not sponsored by corporations but paid for by the students themselves.

In the UK doctors prescribe anti-biotics and topical solutions to most patients with acne because they do tend to clear up the majority of cases since they help the patient break the breakout cycle. For the unlucky minority that don't benefit from these treatments more consideration is put into tackling the problem.

It strikes me as a very Michael Moore, teenager type argument to say that "big business" is supressing the development of a genuine cure for the sake of their profits. But I definitely agree that one of the trappings of Western civilisation is that we only seek to treat the symptoms and not to get at the causes of a problem.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

What's everyone else's opinion? Can anyone from the UK convince me that John Reid is in league with the country's drugs firms to keep us reliant on anti-biotics?

Oh no, of course you can't: he wants just the opposite!!

Last edited by Und3rc0v3r; 01-14-2005 at 04:09 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I let people make me believe for years that going to the dr wouldn't help. I cleared up on antibiotics with my first dr appt. I think of all the years I did nothing, when I could have been clear.
I think it's just easier for some people to blame it all on the healthcare industry rather than to work at finding their own solution.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:05 AM   #8
(male)

linkton HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseason
You also missed the point that the pharmucetical companies own the medical schools. Therfore the only approch that is taught is pills to traet symptoms. Pills are big business and no one is going to rock that boat no matter that all doctors are only traeting symptoms.
Lol, medical school doesnt teach you for "acne" give "pill a".

You wouldnt believe the amount of base knowledge you have to learn. Plus, pills can work, and the theory behind them is quite logical. Theyre not selling placeboes. I believe for a antibiotic to be put into public use, it must be effective in something like 85% of cases.

Patrick

Old 01-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Corporations rule medicine. In the USA it is a business

Last edited by Administrator; 01-22-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:09 AM   #10
(female)

momof752 HB User

You are very right about doctors wanting to write a prescription the minute you enter the room. It is very annoying when they are always telling you to take this drug, and you really don't need it. Than you have more people getting addicted to them than before. Anyways one thing we all have to keep in mind is that there is no cure for acne just treatments. And we need to find the treatment that is right for us.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
(male)

linkton HB User

I find my doctor is very understanding, and actually listens to me. Corporations don't rule the western world at all. They are very powerful, i grant you that, but i believe thinking like that is wrong. Thank goodness for them i say, someone has to make money out of it, granted, and if they didnt make drugs etc, no-one would. People won't do this for free! Corporations can only get constant profit if their product works. The market is stronger than the provider.

Closed Thread