It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Inactive

MoonlightFlame HB User
Accutane effects last about...

Long story short...
I volunteer at a camp, (week long sessions) and when you go any medications must go to the staff nurse and she distributes them as needed..

Therefore my accutane went to her...anyway, I know her fairly well because I've been there several times and when I went to take it, she asked if I knew that the effects only lasted about 10 years...

She said that she went on it about 10 years earlier and recently got some cystic acne and went to the derm about it and (s)he told her that the accutane effects only last about 10 years....

Also a question...have any of you that are on accutane lost weight because of the accutane?

ace

Old 01-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #2

CollegeBoy21 HB User
Re: Accutane effects last about...

I read that statistically 1/10 develop acne within a year after coming off the medication, and 1/4 develop acne within 2 years off coming off the medication.

Now, there are MANY factors involved in these statistics... like the type of acne, severity of the acne, age of the person, etc. If a 14 year old takes it, chances are he will develop acne again. If a 22 year old takes it the chances are certainly much slimmer. But I think overall Accutane is a very potent and effective medication, but to the point of lasting 10 years... I don't think I agree with that.

In the case of your nurse I think she got over her acne but then for some reason (stress or genetics?) down the road she developed acne again. I think the two cases of acne are completely analogous, but I am not doctor lol.

I am in the middle of my 4th month (out of a 5 month course) on Accutane and I haven't gained any weight. Remember, it's just synthetic vitamin A... If you are gaining weight it is likely due to some other cause(s). Did you stop exercising? Did your eating habits change? Did you start a new medication? Are you retaining water? Accutane as far as I know doesn't last 10 years and doesn't cause weight gain, to answer your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Inactive

MoonlightFlame HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy21
If you are gaining weight it is likely due to some other cause(s). Did you stop exercising? Did your eating habits change? Did you start a new medication? Are you retaining water? Accutane as far as I know doesn't last 10 years and doesn't cause weight gain, to answer your questions.
No, no, no...not gaining...losing weight...I have not done anything different while on accutane and have lost weight and so have a couple others I have talked to.

ace

Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

My acne came back in almost full force after about one year from finishing my first course of accutane. It had never fully gone away

I wouldn't attribute accutane to weight loss. In fact, I would say my taking accutane in a maintenance dosage encourages me to eat more because I know I can get away with it.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Und3rc0v3r
My acne came back in almost full force after about one year from finishing my first course of accutane. It had never fully gone away

I wouldn't attribute accutane to weight loss. In fact, I would say my taking accutane in a maintenance dosage encourages me to eat more because I know I can get away with it.

Hey, I always ask people what their dosage was and how long there were on it. I'm really curious about that.

Closed Thread