It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

honey4 HB User
Exclamation Chocolate Does Cause Acne! - A Message For All You Chocolate Lovers!

I went to the doctor the other day with my mom. I was there to get a prescription antibiotic for acne. He said that chocolate doesn't cause acne (I have heard this before) and I agreed with him. Then my mom said that refined sugar causes breakouts and the doctor agreed with her. Then she said that most chocolate you find today is not pure and most of it is flavoured refined sugar. The doctor then changed what he said and agreed with my mom... so beware next time you buy chocolate and think you can get away with eating it and not breaking out...make sure your chocolate is pure or stay away from the product!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
(male)

fixme HB User
Re: Chocolate Does Cause Acne! - A Message For All You Chocolate Lovers!

*bites chocolate bar*

*slides fingers down smooth face*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

princessdani HB User

hahahaha ^^^^

Old 01-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

honey4 HB User

very funny

Old 01-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
(female)

GIRLIEBOXER HB User

Chocolate Does Not Cause Acne Yes Refined Sugars Can When Eatin In Excessive Amounts
Refined Sugars Can Cause A Breakout On Your Skin But Does Not Cause Acne
Also Refined Sugar Are In More Then Just Chocolate So Basically Be Aware Of How Much Your Intake Of Refined Sugar Is And You Will Be Ok Just Don't Go Eat 5 Chocolate Bars If You Eat One Your Ok You Won't Wake Up Woth A Face Full Of Acne

Old 01-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey4
I went to the doctor the other day with my mom. I was there to get a prescription antibiotic for acne. He said that chocolate doesn't cause acne (I have heard this before) and I agreed with him. Then my mom said that refined sugar causes breakouts and the doctor agreed with her. Then she said that most chocolate you find today is not pure and most of it is flavoured refined sugar. The doctor then changed what he said and agreed with my mom... so beware next time you buy chocolate and think you can get away with eating it and not breaking out...make sure your chocolate is pure or stay away from the product!!!!!!
Sounds like a doctor that doesn't know what he stands for. Change that doctor immediately! Try a naturopath or however it's spelled. I beleive doctors are all brainwashed by med. school and they'll only aggravate or cover up your acne.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #7
(female)

honey4 HB User

thanx 4 da concern but he's just my family doctor and i only used him to get the prescription, and bout da acne vs. breakouts im sry i meant breakouts only not excessive acne. i also meant only in larger quantities...again its 4 the serious chocolate lovers

Old 01-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
(female)

princessdani HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey4
i also meant only in larger quantities...again its 4 the serious chocolate lovers
my friend used to eat about 3 bars of chocolate a day and she had perfectly clear skin, what does that tell you?

Old 01-16-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessdani
my friend used to eat about 3 bars of chocolate a day and she had perfectly clear skin, what does that tell you?
That she has a good internal system unlike us acne sufferers.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #10
(female)

princessdani HB User

umm no.
It says chocolate doesn't cause acne. If it did, everyone that ate chocolate would get acne, people with acne-prone skin aren't different to anyone else, even if they are acne prone.

Last edited by princessdani; 01-18-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:27 PM   #11

kittikat HB User

NO IT DOESN'T. My husband is acne prone. He eats chocolate everyday, plus other junk food. He does not break out. He definitely does not eat healthy. He gets few small pimples that go away the next day without any red marks. SIGH!!!! I wish I had that kind of skin. Oh well!!!

Old 01-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Clarification:

Chocolate is NOT the same as Chocolate Candy.

Chocolate = cocoa

Chocolate Candy = Cocoa, Cocoa butter, hydrogenated oils, organic sugars, refined sugars, high fructose corn syrup, Dairy, and/or etc

Notice the difference?

If one were to eat regular chcolate candy, it would contain Cocoa, Dairy, Hydrogenated oils, refined sugars (sugar or sucrose) and/or High fructose corn syrup. This will most likely cause people to breakout, but it's generally not a significant source of one's breakouts (so you may not notice it unless you are 90% or more clear)

If you eat Dark or Organic Chocolate CANDY it is generally composed of Cocoa, (dairy), Evaporated Cane sugar/syrup, and cocoa butter. This, (if milk isn't a problem) usually doesn't pose as big of a problem for some people. After all, the More Dark Chocolate you have, the less sugar, fat, and dairy is in it.

Myself, I tend to eat Dark cocoa chocolate candy that contains either sucrose or evaporated cane syrup, cocoa butter and that's it (unless it's flaovered or has herbs in it or something). I don't eat any dark chocolate with dairy. I usually breakout in small pimples pustules (sugar pimples) within 1 - 2 days after, and they take 2 - 3 days to disappear. This was how I learned that chocolate candy (of this type) doesn't have a HUGE role in my breakouts as these are fairly insignificant to me, especially compared to the CYSTS that other ingredients/foods give me, but in general this is why I don't eat candy all that often (as I AM sensitive to all types of ADDED sugar). Yet I will indulge every other month or so with some Gluten-free cookies or dark chocolate (not a big chocolate candy fan) just to feel "wild". As long as it's refined table sugar and not Corn syrup, I don't get cystic acne, but yes I do still breakout a bit.

Generally if someone says they have a problem with small pimples pustules, it may be because they haven't eliminated all ADDED sugar from their diet. Most people that I've met or worked with, find that these go away once they eliminate that constant & HIDDEN (breads, candies, cakes, crackers, soups, e tc) source of sugar.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 01-16-2005 at 08:47 PM.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #13

Freerider HB User

I have to agree with Sweetjade. I'm not really a chocolate guy, but I twice tested the effects of dark chocolate on my acne. My skin is normally pretty clear, only because of my diet. If I trip up on my diet, my face is a war zone.

So, I changed nothing else in my diet and for one week straight ate a large dark chocolate bar I got from my health food store (87% cocoa Dagoba "Eclipse" bar). If somethings going to break me out, I usually see it within 2-4 days. I didn't get one new pimple from all those bars. I tested this again a month later and same result.

Most people may not be able to handle the bitter taste of this chocolate (87% cocoa is the highest I've ever seen in a candy bar), but I've grown to love it. It is made only of cacao beans, evaporated cane juice, and cacao butter. Only 4g sugar and 10g carbs per serving. Lots of good fat at 13g/ serving.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

CHOCOLATE does not cause acne. The sugar usually found in chocolate products DOES.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #15
(female)

honey4 HB User

as i said...

Closed Thread