It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
(male)

andertrack HB User
Smile Red/Blue Light Therapy

Hello everyone!

I have been hearing a lot about red/blue light therapy lately. I saw this acne lamp made by Verilux and I was wondering if anyone has tried it/ had good results with it? I was also wondering if you have to stop any medication when you use it such as Retin-a micro or benzoyl peroxide?

I dont really feel like paying the money/undergo the intense blue light therapy so any help would be really appreciated.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #2

gneralsal HB User
Re: Red/Blue Light Therapy

I have tried the blue light therapy, and that has seemed to help. i havent really heard that much about combining red and blue light together. I would think that you would have to stop taking retin-a micro if you were using the light becuase of the photosensitivity factor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #3

fawnieb HB User

I just went today for my first appointment with the light therapy, I have very stubborn cystic acne mainly on my cheeks that I've been battling for about 15 years, this is my last hope. At my appointment today they prepped my face by cleaning it thoroughly with Dermalogica products, than I was put under a blue light for 20 minutes, the blue light is supposed to kill the bacteria, Thursday I return for a 20 minute red light treatment that is supposed to help with the actual acne and redness, in all I will have 8 treatments in 4 weeks. The price of each is $50, I guess it's an introductory offer, I'll keep you posted on my results..by the way I've been using Rodan and Fields line Calm followed by Mederma (another web site said Mederma works on cystic acne) and would have to say that I've seen a significant improvement in my skin, I've been using both for two months, I just hope this light therapy (it's called Omnilux) makes my skin next to perfect!!

Old 01-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #4

Sman HB User

To elaborate on fawnieb saying blue light kills bacteria.

The main goal of blue light is to kill P acnes. Blue light works by targeting endogenous coproporphyrin, which are inside P acnes. Illumination of endogenous coproporphyrin results in an efflux of potassium from the cells and a significant loss of phosphate.-- which can be interpreted as bacterial membrane damage, probably to the various P. acnes ionic pumps.

Blue light causes endogenous coproporphyrin to do this because free radicals are evolved by light-activated porphyrins.

Hope that helps
-Scott

Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
(male)

andertrack HB User

I have considered the blue light treatment, but going off of what others have said it sounds kind of painfull. Im surprised that no one has tried the red/blue light therapy at home. I have a derm appointment in about 2 weeks so I will ask him then, just wanted to get some impressions from all you guys...

Old 01-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andertrack
I have considered the blue light treatment, but going off of what others have said it sounds kind of painfull. Im surprised that no one has tried the red/blue light therapy at home. I have a derm appointment in about 2 weeks so I will ask him then, just wanted to get some impressions from all you guys...

You might try a search on this board. There was a very long thread about a year ago where a couple of guys had an at-home light. They didn't have very good results as I recall. Maybe at first but not for long term. I bought one for my daughter. She thought it was nonsense and wouldn't use it so I sent it back.

Closed Thread