It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 02:03 AM   #1

gettingclear7 HB User
Minocycline Advice....

I have been using Minocycline for about a year and a half ( 17 months ) and am wondering if I should get off of it? I am taking 100 mg once a night. So I am wanting to go down to 50 mg and eventually stop taking it all together. When I a started I was 17 and my acne was mild-maybe moderate at some points. Its very mild now ( I have just turned 19 ) and am wondering if i should start getting off of it... I have noticed its sort have been slowley getting better... my last little break out which wasnt that bad was about a month and a half ago and I beleive it to be caused by staying up for 2 days ( i got 3 hours of sleep ) and flying durring those days. I also use just a little little bit of BenzaClin at night aswell, just the smalled 1/4 a pea size amount spread over my face, I just recently down sized the doses and its been just fine for the last month or so. I am wondering if the Minocycline is even still working right now, since I have been on it for so long, I am not sure if humans become immine too it within a certain time frame. I just dont want to go off of it and have a break out, and have to wait so long for it too have a decent effect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank You, Gettingclear7

Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User
Re: Minocycline Advice....

MAybe go off gradually instead of all at once.. keep lessening the dose over the next few wks or mos..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

definitely consult with ur doc about how to get off it and keep using ur topical treatments. also u might want to do a search online for info about long term antibiotic usage. it is good to supplement with probiotics (good bacteria) that the antibiotics has killed off. everyone needs good bac in their system to function properly. i wish i had known that when i was on it about 10 years ago and i would have prevented lots of suffering and unnecessary medication for me.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut76
definitely consult with ur doc about how to get off it and keep using ur topical treatments. also u might want to do a search online for info about long term antibiotic usage. it is good to supplement with probiotics (good bacteria) that the antibiotics has killed off. everyone needs good bac in their system to function properly. i wish i had known that when i was on it about 10 years ago and i would have prevented lots of suffering and unnecessary medication for me.
what type of suffering are you going through and what meds are you taking?

Old 01-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #5

jamie_k HB User

^ Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Someone told me that the water you drink will flush the mino out of your system once it's done doing its thing. Is that accurate?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #6

gettingclear7 HB User

So my main concern is does the minocyclin still have an effect on me after 17 months ( 1 and a half years ). When does your body become immune to it? Any other tips would be great. Thank you, Gettingclear7

Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 PM   #7

gettingclear7 HB User

Experiences of others getting off minocyclin would be great too, thanks

Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #8

aprilnichole HB User

I recently just posted a thread about this same thing, howver I have only been on it for 6 months and I am already feeling as if it's becoming less effective.
did you enjoy mostly clear skin for those 17 months?

Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #9

gettingclear7 HB User

Hmmm no not really... so im wondering if my skin would have been worse if i was on the minocyclin, because i did not really see a change, i think the only thing that really helped was the benzaclin, and i live in very sunny weather all year for a while, but my skin seems like its calming down... i dont really even know if minocyclin did anything or is still doing anything,,, im just nervous to go off of it and experience some break outs.... thats been my experience so far...my skin hasnt ever been too bad,,, maybe i had a few break outs but i probly just over reacted... its just frustrating

Old 01-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #10

gettingclear7 HB User

any advice on the last post?

Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #11
(female)

acnescargirl HB User

im on minocycline for 5 momnhs and it cleared me too. but im running out of moeny so i think im going 2 go off of it... why does everyone say to go off GRADUAL ?? does that even make a diffrecne ???

getting clear - my derm said you can be on it for a lifetime *altho i think she is a retard sometimes * that is what she said she said she has acne and has been on it for years. but who knows. altho she seems to be a stupid quakc as she ruined my face with the topicals .. but i have read your body can become immune in 3 to 6 months of using it. hope that helps !

Old 01-22-2005, 10:43 PM   #12

Nametaken48 HB User

I took it and actually just finished up. I went off it really gradually...I heard you want to wean off because otherwise all the bacteria returns at once and can lead to worse breakouts. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I thought the concept of weaning off minocycline over a few weeks sounded better than just quitting it altogether. I think if you wean off it, you're body also gets used to not taking it and it also allows some of the "good" bacteria to return. However I'm not sure if any of these are true or not, just things I've heard/my own opinion. And to the derm that says you can take it your whole life...she's full of crap. The risk of side effects increase the longer you take it, and also after awhile you become immune to it so there's no point in taking it. If you could take it your whole life people woudln't be put on it for only a few months, but rather years at a time.

Closed Thread