It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
To Earlman

Could you please elaborate on the diets, and other holistic methods that you have tried in the past. This is an issue that I really need to deal with for my own peace of mind. My 16 yo girl just got off of accutane after 6 months and is clear but I find myself flinching with everything she puts into her mouth and it's driving me nuts. It's like a phobia. I have to settle it once and for all so I can relax and get on with my life. So, if you don't mind, please give me as much detail as you can on what you tried before resorting to accutane. Thank you. The best of luck to you and I hope you clear as well as she has on accutane.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
(female)

LkK2507 HB User
Re: To Earlman

why are you worried about what she eats?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
(male)

Earlman HB User

I followed the Perricone Diet very closely for 2 months (not sure if you've seen the book) which basically the diet involves eating no breads cereals, crackers etc, and any starchy carbs. The concept being controlling the glycemic load you take in, to prevent insulin spikes which create a rise in blood sugar which in this theory can cause acne. You also eat a lot of salmon in the diet. In my personal experience the diet did not make a big difference I lost a ton of weight, didn't feel all that great and didn't see a big enough benefit from it. I still try to watch my carbs and not eat too much sugar, but I've found eating things "in moderation" is way better for my skin and my mood. I also tried accupunture which helped with my stress level (the treatments were very relaxing) but it was far from a cure. I also met with a homeopath which also didn't seem to be the answer I was looking for. After all of my trails with alternative treatments and methods, I've come to the conclusion that diet and health is important absolutely, but on the same note, you can drive yourself nuts trying all these funky treatments, vitamins, diets etc. The health industry has no end to the supplements and treatments that are the best and people in the industry that are trying to make a buck. At the end of the day I think that it's good to try as many options as you can before going to accutane, but for some people its the only real answer. For me I'm 29 and have dealt with acne for 15 years, and decided that this is the best way for me. I know what you mean about a phobia, but I'm sure your daughter will have a long if not permanent remission. It seems like the more you worry about it the worse it gets. From what I've heard as well, when younger people take accutane the effectiveness often lasts way longer. My best to your daughter, I'm sure it will last.......try not to worry about it, and remember "Everything in moderation"

Old 01-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
(male)

Earlman HB User

One thing I forgot, I also tried B5 for 4 months, which didn't help me much at all.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Thank you Earlman. That was very helpful. You put some effort into that answer and all I can say is that I'm going to print it out and refer to it when I get into my freaky mind frame. God Bless you. I hope she has a long remission also.

LkK2507 - I worry about what she eats because all the things Earlman referred to in his message have been given as causes of acne. It's a long story.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM   #6

paddywhack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlman
One thing I forgot, I also tried B5 for 4 months, which didn't help me much at all.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm male and I'm almost 27 and have had acne since 14. My acne today is much milder than it used to be. However, it is still very embarrassing to me. I've tried many different things: B5, Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitosterol, low carbing, OTC topicals, accutane (when i was 18), every antibiotic, red/blue light therapy (too hard to follow this regimen), etc. Some things work more than others I guess. Low carbing probably worked the best, but it's so hard to do it. Benzoyl Peroxide I have found is the best at working as a "band aid" after-the-fact kind of solution. However, I have found nothing that has been able to completely stop my acne from the inside. I've thought about taking oral Spiro, but I am wary since I don't know many who have used it other than Joeh. I highly doubt Spiro would be harmful, but I am a little paranoid. So for now, I am going to try Phenogen (there is a thread on this currently circulating under the title "dgat1 inhibitors"). It sounds promising, but, then again, so has everything else.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddywhack
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm male and I'm almost 27 and have had acne since 14. My acne today is much milder than it used to be. However, it is still very embarrassing to me. I've tried many different things: B5, Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitosterol, low carbing, OTC topicals, accutane (when i was 18), every antibiotic, red/blue light therapy (too hard to follow this regimen), etc. Some things work more than others I guess. Low carbing probably worked the best, but it's so hard to do it. Benzoyl Peroxide I have found is the best at working as a "band aid" after-the-fact kind of solution. However, I have found nothing that has been able to completely stop my acne from the inside. I've thought about taking oral Spiro, but I am wary since I don't know many who have used it other than Joeh. I highly doubt Spiro would be harmful, but I am a little paranoid. So for now, I am going to try Phenogen (there is a thread on this currently circulating under the title "dgat1 inhibitors"). It sounds promising, but, then again, so has everything else.

Can you explain your experience with accutane? How long and what dosage?

Closed Thread