It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #1

Freerider HB User
important acne-diet study to be published in '05

I've been in correspondence with Loren Cordain, a Colorado State physiology professor, author of "the Paleo Diet", and the one who made the notable (and controversial) claim of an acne-diet connection in his 2001 science journal article. He told me last year about a study his team was doing in Australia based on the findings detailed his article. Yesterday I asked him about the progress of this study and if substantial evidence was found in favor of his hypothesis.

His colleague Neil Mann has been heading the experiment, which is just wrapping up. He said it took almost a year to collect the data because of statistical considerations (sample size, power etc). He told me that the subjects in the study had "dramatic improvement in their symptoms -- many with complete remission". He said news about the study's results has leaked out and is already "upsetting the apple cart" in the world of dermatology. He expects the article to be published by this fall and that the connection between acne and diet to be common knowledge within a few years. He said after the article is published there will be little doubt that diet is the major environmental factor responsible for acne.

Exciting stuff. Especially because soon dermatologists will not be able to claim with any validity that there is no acne-diet connection. Thanks to Dr. Cordain and Dr. Mann for rocking the boat.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: important acne-diet study to be published in '05

Yeah right. If only research worked that way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I am going to the derm in about an hour to take my son (if you've seen my other thread here - this is my younger son - 13, I've already taken my 15 yo). I had planned to ask her what relationship, if any, food had to acne. I didn't have the time to ask when I took my older son (he wanted to get in and get out!).

I've heard that oranges, chocolate, dairy, and greasy foods cause acne. I guess we all just have to have the gumption to give up some of these foods to find out! But, make sure you only give one up a time so you know which one is the culpret for you. Even though we could start trying this ourselves, how long does it take to get that food out of your system and then how long will it take for the acne to clear? Lots of questions and so many different answers....

Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

many derms will not tell u that acne is diet related. if u are acne prone than too many simple sugars, bad fats, iodine, etc. will make it worse. if u are not acne prone than it will not. this is why they have had trouble pinpointing dietary factors as a cause for acne

Old 01-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I guess genetic predisposition to acne is the bullet and sugar is the trigger. If you're lucky enough to not be predisposed you're okay. (Though, doesn't mean you won't develop something ELSE because of sugar consumption, such as colon cancer, diebetes etc.)

Old 01-19-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbuck44
how long does it take to get that food out of your system and then how long will it take for the acne to clear? Lots of questions and so many different answers....
I did the Perricone diet for 3 days and I DID notice an improvement. However, I'm a veggie so I can't really do his full diet.

I think the best way is to start off with some kind of liver/colon cleanse/detox for a couple of days and gradually incorporate a few foods for 4 days or so and monitor the skin. You have to be really scrupulous as keeping a food journal and monitoring your skin. If you skin clears a little you kind of get complacent and then when it flares up again you have NO idea what caused it because you got sloppy and were not logging your food.

A nutritionist told me that if a particular food is causing a breakout, it will be within a day or so (actually, my derm told me that too - even though she said there is NO connection with diet and acne )

Old 01-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

They say it takes six weeks for your skin to clear when you begin eating a natural food diet. But then they also so your face breaks out the next day from eating processed food or sugar. Those statements together dont make any sense.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseason
They say it takes six weeks for your skin to clear when you begin eating a natural food diet. But then they also so your face breaks out the next day from eating processed food or sugar. Those statements together dont make any sense.
It's always easier to mess something up than it is to FIX it. Think about it, how quickly does it take to get into an accident and be scarred for life... a second. If you are fortunate it will take several surgeries and tons of money over...years (?) to get you possibly normal-looking again.

When I eat something that gives me very stubborn cystic acne, it takes a few days to show up and sometimes takes as long as 4 weeks to go away (NEVER had acne that stubborn before), plus the extra weeks/months for the mark that it left behind. That's definately my cue to stay away from those foods ;-)

Last edited by SweetJade1; 01-19-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

Red spots or brown marks which is just hyperpigmentation takes 6 months - 1 year to vanish depending on severity.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needzhelp
Red spots or brown marks which is just hyperpigmentation takes 6 months - 1 year to vanish depending on severity.

Yup, that's why I say getting rid of acne is only half the battle. If I didn't hyperpigment so wonderfully, maybe I would "cheat" more often, but some of the marks can be a major pain to get rid of, even with the use of skin lighteners.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I talked to my sons' derm yesterday about Blue Light therapy. It takes a series of three treatments at a cost to you of $125 (ins doesn't cover) and it kills the bacteria and gets rid of the redness. She recommended for my sons to wait until after their treatment with the antibiotics and topical cream. Then if I still wanted them to have it done, it could be only one or two treatments that they would need.

She also said foods do not cause acne. I tend to agree with that statement because I have proof in my own home that sugar or a bad diet will not determine if you will get acne. It may aggravate the acne more in some people but food will not cause it. My two sons are extremely different when it comes to eating junk food. Younger son eats candy and snacks much more than my oldest. They both have a pretty good case of acne. The only difference is 'where' the acne is. My oldest son has it mainly on his forehead and a bit on his back. My youngest has it right down the middle of his face and not anywhere else.

Mysterious...

Old 01-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #12

Freerider HB User

sawbuck,
Maybe your dermatologist said "foods do not cause acne" because such a claim won't put $125 in her pocket like the blue light therapy will. Or maybe she hasn't done the research or experimentation that some of us have done (you think someone specializing in skin disorders would have, but it's not in their best interest I guess). Myself and so many others are visual proof that a diet change can dramatically clear acne. However, when I say "diet change", I don't mean eating less junk food. I mean eating no dairy, processed carbs, or high-sugar foods. And some of us must avoid all wheat products and even some fruits, such as banannas or grapes. This seems terribly strict, but it is the ONLY thing that clears our skin. And you get used to and even enjoy the healthy lifestyle after you've beaten the food addictions.

Your derm prescribed antibiotics and topicals? All you have to do is spend 5 minutes on the acne board to find out that those things have been used by just about everybody here. I've yet to read a post where the poster is all excited about how retin-A or minocycline is working wonders for there acne. That's why most of us are here. Because we spent the majority of our acne-laden years being lab rats for our dermatologists and are not better (maybe worse) off because of it. I'm not hip to the latest procedures, but the blue light therapy doesn't sound like something I would want to subject my skin to. My skin needs a spectrum of bacteria to operate optimally and the blue light isn't selective. Avoiding anything antibacterial, in my opinion.

Do you think you could convince your sons to try a strict acne-diet for a few weeks or month? I don't know if your sons are athletes, but this may encourage them. I used to be a star athlete in high school (track, basketball). But I lost much of my athleticism for the years following high school (I'm 26 yrs old now). I gained weight, loss speed and loss muscle mass. Well, since I've been on this diet for about a year, I am back in my athletic prime. It really is amazing. I run faster and jump higher (I can dunk a basketball again) without even working out. Plus the diet gave me my first 6-pack ever, minus the situps. I say this because these things are often important to teenage boys. Unless your sons play the trumpet, in which case, the diet won't make them Miles Davis.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Freerider, where do I find more info on the acne diet? thanks

Old 01-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Anibanani HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider
I've been in correspondence with Loren Cordain, a Colorado State physiology professor, author of "the Paleo Diet", and the one who made the notable (and controversial) claim of an acne-diet connection in his 2001 science journal article. He told me last year about a study his team was doing in Australia based on the findings detailed his article. Yesterday I asked him about the progress of this study and if substantial evidence was found in favor of his hypothesis.

His colleague Neil Mann has been heading the experiment, which is just wrapping up. He said it took almost a year to collect the data because of statistical considerations (sample size, power etc). He told me that the subjects in the study had "dramatic improvement in their symptoms -- many with complete remission". He said news about the study's results has leaked out and is already "upsetting the apple cart" in the world of dermatology. He expects the article to be published by this fall and that the connection between acne and diet to be common knowledge within a few years. He said after the article is published there will be little doubt that diet is the major environmental factor responsible for acne.

Exciting stuff. Especially because soon dermatologists will not be able to claim with any validity that there is no acne-diet connection. Thanks to Dr. Cordain and Dr. Mann for rocking the boat.
it's about time this mother creepers stopped lying to us and stealing our money I personally can't wait for that article because I triesdit myself and I know its not nonsense

Old 01-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #15

Freerider HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbuck44
Freerider, where do I find more info on the acne diet? thanks
There are a few different diets being followed successfully by the people on this board. Just about all eliminate processed foods/grains (like pasta, breads, flours, pastries, cereals, etc) and dairy. After that, there are slight differences in all of them. My diet doesn't come from a book, because I've tailored it for my own needs and sensitivities. It required a lot of food experimentation. My diet is probably closest to the "Paleo Diet" with some additions like brown/wild rice. People have followed Perricone's diet with success. Sweetjade has come up with a diet that works for her (do a search for her posts). Low glycemic load diets have worked for many people. I could try to outline exactly what I eat for your sons, if it's something they'd want to try.

Closed Thread