It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #1

lostYouTh06 HB User
Lightbulb chlorine and acne... what i've experienced

over the past two years i have had pretty persistent acne on my face. i wash my face two times a day, am on a pretty healthy-conscious diet, and drink a lot of water... but that still never seems to really help. over the span of spring and summer it seemed like my acne had gotten a little worse. i noticed that my face was much greasier and that i had to wash my face more often. but to get to the point, it was very hot this past summer. i had not gone swimming all year. my family took a vacation to texas and we spent a lot of time at a water park near our hotel. i hadn't gone swimming all summer and i noticed after two days at the water park my face had cleared up. i hadn't even been washing it on the vacation except for taking a shower every night. it was amazing, it had to be something in the water. i really think it was the chlorine. my face was less oily and my acne was almost totally gone after two days in the sun - at the water park in the chlorinated water. i don't know if this would be the cure for everyone else but i couldn't believe how clear and healthy my face looked after spending only 2 days in the water park. has anyone else had this kind of experience? do you think if i went swimming a lot this summer it would clear up my face again? because my acne just came right back after i stopped going swimming... sorry about the long post, it's just this really helped and i'm wondering why chlorine would have such an effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: chlorine and acne... what i've experienced

You could have cleared up due to the cholrine or the sun or even both. Sun exposure will temporarily clear your skin but when the exposure is not continued the skin's condition will dramatically worsen. Moreover, it isn't rare to read people experience good results from cholrine. From what I have read the success rate is 50/50, half the people say it's great while the other half say it just antagonises their skin.

Did you notice your skin was much drier than normal? If this was the case then it's most likely your skin got most benefit from the chlorine. If your skin was on the other hand much oiler then it's the result of the sun exposure as the sun stimulates the skin to produce more oil to keep it moisturised.

Another point, if chlorine can clear acne then you would have to find a way to replicate this in your home especially if you don't have a pool nearby. Finding the right type of chlorine to use at the correct ratio to water would be very important due to the fact that cholrine is a bleaching agent, but I'm sure it's worth looking in to.

Last edited by Neca; 01-23-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #3

lostYouTh06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neca
Another point, if chlorine can clear acne then you would have to find a way to replicate this in your home especially if you don't have a pool nearby. Finding the right type of chlorine to use at the correct ratio to water would be very important due to the fact that cholrine is a bleaching agent, but I'm sure it's worth looking in to.
i would like to do exactly that, but don't most pools all use different kinds of chlorine? this was a water park in texas. i live in michigan which is all the way on the other side of the country. if there are many different types of chlorine with all different types of ingredients how do i know which one will work best on my face?

Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

Honestly, I would stay away from chlorine unless you find a pool near your house that you can go to. Pool chlorine, even though you can buy it, should never ever be experimented with for cosmetic purposes... it could potentially eat away half your face. Very dilluted chlorine in pools burns the hell out of my eyes, I can't imagine handling the concentrate. Go to a dermatologist if you haven't been already... a little extra money is worth not messing up your face.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #5

lostYouTh06 HB User

been to a dermatologist, have had many different prescriptions including pills and topicals, but it never really totally cleared up my face like the chlorinated water did. i've been on tetracycline for the past month and it's helped a lot, but it never totally cleared up my face.

so really when you think about it, it probably wouldn't hurt to go swimming a lot this summer. the only 2 times i did last year did wonders on my face... and this other crap i got from my dermatoligist just doesn't do the same thing. it's really frustrating

Closed Thread