It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
(male)

Trashmaster HB User
Question protien and acne

i've heard that protien causes acne in some so i want to know what foods have a lot of protien in them. What foods should i avoid. If i have acne
bad and good.
thx

Old 01-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
(male)

andertrack HB User
Smile Re: protien and acne

I have heard some weird stuff about protein. Some people say glutamine aggrevates acne and other proteins. The way I see it is that your body makes the proteins that you are consuming. I think everything should be taken in moderation. If you start taking in 140 grams of protein i think your body wont tolerate it. Since acne is a hormone problem I think the only thing you have to worry about ingesting are steroids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Re: protien and acne

I think the people are having the issues are getting the protein from other sources than food. Whey and Soy proteins have both been known to aggrivate acne (cant say for each individual).

As for getting your protein through food, i don't think that protein is the issue. Eat some chicken, 1 chicken breast has 30g's, eat 3 througout the day and theres 90g's, im sure you can find the rest. You can still gain mass without 1g per lb of body weight, just not as fast.

Now weight training can cause acne, because it causes more oil. Just wash your face afterwards, and you should be fine. I workout before my 1st or 2nd wash of the day. So no matter what i wash only twice a day, this helps tremendously with oil. Less washing ='s less oil.

Good Luck, again...I have not had any side effects from foods high in protein, but have from supplementing with shakes, soy/whey creatine and glutamine.

Some people say they hold off on weight training till the acne is gone...pfft...why not get the muscles while your face is bad, so when the acne is gone, your ripped...and don't have to worry about either anymore...

Old 01-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
(female)

jazmella HB User

On average, you only need between 25 to 35 grams of protein daily. Too much protein can actually be hazardous to your health. You can get enough protein just by consuming fruits and vegetables (preferably raw - uncooked is best).

I'd cut back on the meat and stick to fruit and veggies.

Last edited by jazmella; 01-24-2005 at 07:36 PM.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #5

Paracelsus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazmella
On average, you only need between 25 to 35 grams of protein daily. Too much protein can actually be hazardous to your health. You can get enough protein just by consuming fruits and vegetables (preferably raw - uncooked is best).

I'd cut back on the meat and stick to fruit and veggies.
Where did you read that you only need 25 to 35g of protein per day? You may be assuming that everyone has the same lean body mass. Myself, a person with LBM=185, requires a minimum of 57g of a fully digestable, complete amino acid profile source.

Many grains, legumes, and nuts are either high in methionine, low in lysine, or vise versa. If you don't plan on taking in complete amino acid sources, you need to combine sources in each meal so that the profile has a high quality.

Fruits and vegetables generally don't offer enough protein to constitute a complete diet. Dairy, meat, eggs, and soy products are the most common complete sources.

57g of protein is still does not meat requirements of someone who is considered "active." According to the nitrogen balance studies, endurance athletes may require 1.2-1.6x what the average person requires. Someone who regularly weight trains may require 1.5-2.3x the average person's requirements.

Even though many proteins are complete sources, many aren't well digested in large quanitites. It is not sufficient to eat 57g of protein for breakfast. Without other macronutrients, this would likely put your metabolism in a state of gluconeogenesis. Not only that, but you will likely stay, on average, longer in a hypoglycemic state during the day. It is good advice to take protein in during a time when your body is most catabolic (generally directly post workout). There is nearly 1h post workout where your system responds to glucose signaling but not protein macronutrient signaling, so it is not imparative to get whey protein (with 20 min digestive time). In fact it may not even be a good idea. This is a topic of much debate but it's not very important.

"Too much protein" is somewhat meaningless. I would say that too much of anything can be hazardous to the health. What is too much protein? Old studies which raised issues regarding kidney failure was done on patients prone to kidney failure. It proved to exacerbate the condition; however, on healthy individuals it was not shown to cause any negative effects. So what's too much? For a 200 pound guy, I'd say 600g is too much because at this level you begin to sacrafice the benefits of a diverse diet and other great macronutrients.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

I bodybuild and they say to take a gram of protein for every pound you weigh e.g. - 160lbs = 160 grams. I myself (from following arnold schazenager <---however it'z spelled) just take half of my weight in protein and it doesn't aggravate my acne. Just try not to take it with milk and chug it down with water instead.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #7

Paracelsus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needzhelp
I bodybuild and they say to take a gram of protein for every pound you weigh e.g. - 160lbs = 160 grams. I myself (from following arnold schazenager <---however it'z spelled) just take half of my weight in protein and it doesn't aggravate my acne. Just try not to take it with milk and chug it down with water instead.
arnold took hgh and steroids which alters nitrogen balance. everyone thinks that there's an answer... well there is, and for me it's probably between 50 and 500... no need to fret

Old 01-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
(male)

buffguy HB User

I'm also an active guy who workouts about 3-4 times a week. I find it hard to get in 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I'm 175lbs, so trying to get that protein in conveniently is hard, plus I am trying to avoid dairy. Its tough to find easy to make foods without dairy. Cottage cheese is so good for protein, but its all dairy, along with the milk and whey powder I use.... What other things do you guys suggest I eat, being aware its not always easy to cook up a steak three times a day.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
(female)

jazmella HB User

The average American consumes over 100 grams of protein a day, three to five times as much as experts now say is necessary. We all know that protein is an essential nutrient, but what most of us have not been told is that excessive amounts of indigestible protein can be hazardous to our health.

It may come as quite a shock to people trying to consume as much protein as possible to read in major medical journals and scientific reports that excess protein has been found to promote the growth of cancer cells and can cause liver and kidney disorders, digestive problems, gout, arthritis, calcium deficiencies (including osteoporosis) and other harmful mineral imbalances.

Researchers, working independently in many parts of the world, arrived at the conclusion that our actual daily need of protein is only 25 to 35 grams (raw proteins being utilized twice as well as cooked)... But what is even more important, the worldwide research brings almost daily confirmation of the scientific premise... that proteins, essential and important as they are, CAN BE EXTREMELY HARMFUL WHEN CONSUMED IN EXCESS OF YOUR ACTUAL NEED." Dr. Airola continues: "The metabolism of proteins consumed in excess of the actual need leaves toxic residues of metabolic waste in tissues, causes autotoxemia, overacidity and nutritional deficiencies, accumulation of uric acid and purines in the tissues, intestinal putrefaction, and contributes to the development of many of our most common and serious diseases, such as arthritis, kidney damage, pyorrhea, schizophrenia, osteoporosis, arteriosclerosis, heart disease, and cancer. A high protein diet also causes premature aging and lowers life expectancy."

I would post the site I got this information from, but we aren't allowed to. lol.

But nonetheless, it's all there, it's all true. (I'm vegan, by the way, and I've never felt better! I also have enough energy to work an 8.5 hour day AND exercise for 2+ hours afterwards).

Last edited by jazmella; 01-25-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Closed Thread