It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
(female)

AnitaPita HB User
Accutane users - How bad was/is your acne?

I am 29 yr old female. To make a long story short, I've had acne since my early twenties, I have tried everything under the sun. Ive got ALOT of red marks and a few icepick scars. Right now my face is 90% clear but I still get 3-4 cysts a month. Of those 3-4 maybe 2 of them will go away and never surface or cause alot of problems. But the rest will hang around forever, sometimes WEEKS. The last one I got was right under my nose on my upper lip and it did not go away for a month. Now I have another very noticable red mark to add to the collection. I am sick of this. I have an appt to see the derm about accutane. I am scared they will say no because I really dont have any blackheads or small ones anymore. Its just the few big ones that come up every month. And they are leaving alot of scars. I am not doing antibiotics again. Or Differin, Retin A, BP, blah blah. I want this gone. How hard was it for you to get Accutane?

Old 01-25-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
(male)

stan HB User
Re: Accutane users - How bad was/is your acne?

im 20 and ive had acne since i was about 14 and it wasnt that bad then but ive been on tetracycline that didnt work so i was put on erythromcin this didnt work either so i got refered to a derm he had alook at my back and face then decided to put me on accutane my back is worst ive got cysts on my back and acne all over my face was not that bad just few whiteheads on me anyway if u ask the derm if it is possible to go on accutane he will discuss the side effects with u and stuff depends how bad ur acne is really they wont give u it for mild acne or anything like that course of treatment last about 16 weeks anyway
goodluck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
(male)

FranktheTank HB User

I went for my first appointment with my Derm on Friday. My face is mild, but my back and chest are a mess. Blackheads and some cysts all over my chest and cysts all over my back. I cant wear my backpack and if a friend taps me on the shoulder I scream in pain. Well the derm studied me for like a min and told me the only thing that could save me was accutane. Im on my 5th day. I hope for the best.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User

I got accutane with almost completely clear skin! But my oil was very out of control, and my derm actually brought up the idea. I was more than pleased as I wanted it, but was afraid to ask for the same reason as you. I thought I'd be laughed out of the office, cause I wasn't even broke out. She only had to say it one time for me to jump right on it. Is your skin oily? Can you try to use that excuse too?
There's definitely dr's that will give it to milder acne, just keep asking until you find the one who will say yes.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
(female)

AnitaPita HB User

Lisa,
Yes my skin is oily too regardless if I am broke out or not. The few cysts I get are painful. I get a few on my back too. I am just tired of messing around after all these years. I am tired of worrying "will I have a cyst" when I have a job interview coming up. It always seems like my face clears up whenever I go to the doctor or to the derm. lol.
My husband just doesnt get it. He tells me my cysts come from wearing makeup. When I have one he always says something like "Oooo OW. Quit picking at your face!" I dont even pick. Its just the way the cyst scabs over. He tells me to quit obsessing about it. Its funny because he had acne growing up. He still has it on his back pretty bad and he has lots of scars on his back. I am sure if a derm saw his back they would prescribe accutane. But he really dosent seem to care that it is there.
He told me he dosent not want me to take Accutane. This sounds bad but at this point I really dont care if he supports me or not. I've already got too many scars because I waited way too long to do this.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

CherryroseQT HB User

I have mild/moderate acne as well. I would try all other options before using accutane. Accutane permanently changes your skin cells and the amount of oil they produce... for life. By "correcting" the oil now.. you may be setting yourself up for wrinkles and overly dry skin in the future. Some products that help keep my acne under control are oil of Olay Regenerist (daily use before make-up and after I wash my face at night). If I do get a cyst, I put Clean & Clear persa-gel 10 on and around the cyst day & night (after my lotion). Also the new kit by L'oreal Re-Finish Microdermabrasion Kit is FABULOUS. It's expensive but I LOVE IT. I had icky SCARS that were very red and this has helped my skin tone and texture SO MUCH. Before resorting to accutane I would recommend even getting professional micro-dermabrasion done. It helps with moderate acne, as well as resolves scarring. You'd have to pay.. but for beautiful skin and not disrupting your body internally.. it's worth it. I too have considered accutane, and the birth defects alone are reason enough for my common sense to realize.. it's not optimum for a human body. My best friend however, is using accutane and everyone I have know has LOVED the results. My ex-boyfriend used it.. and he got frequent nose bleeds when we would have sex, or he'd play baseball. He still promotes the drug though, and is grateful. He is trying to get his younger brother to use it. Both my friend and ex had BAD acne though, on their backs ect. Research Accutane, don't just trust that a doctor knows what's best for you. There are good reasons that All Dermatologists don't prescribe accutane.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

I agree with Cherryrose, do your research before going on Accutane. I did like a weeks worth of reading up on it before I went on it. I was scared to death, but now that I am on it...I am glad I am.

I don't understand the birth defect part though. The fact that the medicine causes birth defects does not mean it is going to internally do anything to you, well, unless you get pregnant. There are plenty of other medicines that also cause birth defects. Smoking and drinking while pregnant can cause birth defects, also.

Last edited by EnergyRush; 01-26-2005 at 06:54 PM.

Closed Thread