It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

queenpooch HB User
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) has changed my son's skin!

My 18 yr old son has been taking vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) for 2 weeks now - up to a gram a day - and we are all amazed at the difference in his skin! He has had mild to moderate acne on his chin and back for a couple of years now, but had never really been too concerned until someone said something to him in P.E. about his back. We did some research on alternate/natural acne treatments and read the glowing reports on B5. He's been taking around 900 gms a day and WOW!

I read in another thread that megadoses of B5 causes hair loss. Has anyone had any adverse reactions or results like this? If the side effects aren't too bad, then maybe this is the answer for him and for others. (P.S. His doctor just snorted and said that vitamin supplements don't do a thing. Figures.)

I would be interested in others' B5 experiences.

Thank you!

Last edited by queenpooch; 01-27-2005 at 07:26 PM. Reason: hit the wrong key before I was finished

Old 01-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Re: Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) has changed my son's skin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpooch
He's been taking around 900 gms a day and WOW
WOW is right - 900 gms is about two pounds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
(female)

queenpooch HB User

OOPS! I mean't 900 mgs! LOL! Thanks for pointing that out, plymouth!

Old 01-27-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

I'm glad your son has found something that works for him. Ihave heard of hair loss in some people but it is really rare side effect. Just don't do over 10 grams a day or if he's getting diarrhea cut back to less.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

If hes doing well with 2 pills, then upping to around 3-4 grams would be a good test. I took 10g's for 2 months with no help, massive diarrea. :P Glad to see its worked for someone, it works for some and not for others.

As for hair loss, its due to vitamin b deficientcies because of the megadosing. So taking 1 b-complex a day and a dose of Biotin with each b5 dose, there will be no problems with megadosing.

Example. 4grams is 8 500mg pills. So take a b-complex, and then 2/2/2/2 or 4/4 and take a dose of biotin each time you take a b5 dose. Either the 2/2/2/2 or 4/4. Good Luck..Stick with it even if the breakouts come around.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

I never got hair loss, but I am sure my hair became drier whilst on B5 and it took a long time to get back to what *might* be normal. I should have taken B6 and Biotin. I might introduce my brother to B5. But I don't like to because he might feel self-concious. We never discuss his acne.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
(male)

artlan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Und3rc0v3r
I never got hair loss, but I am sure my hair became drier whilst on B5 and it took a long time to get back to what *might* be normal. I should have taken B6 and Biotin. I might introduce my brother to B5. But I don't like to because he might feel self-concious. We never discuss his acne.
Hair loss from Vitamin B5 is not a RARE effect, in fact, if you take it long enough, hair loss will occur, take my word.

I've taken B5 for over a year and a half, and have been off it for about 2 years and my hair loss is only getting worse.

I noticed that my hair got brittle, thin and lifeless, than it began falling off. So far I failed to reverse this process. Many people experience this site effect, browse some acne related boards and you'll see.

Just a warning, if I had to go through this again, I'll quit right away.

I started losing hair at 16, I am 19 now.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Once again, the hairloss is due to extreme dry and brittleness. Which is due to a deficientcy in other b vitamins, because you are megadosing on b5. Taking a b-complex once a day, and a dose of biotin with each b5 dose will **PREVENT** this from occuring.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
(male)

artlan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwgoodguy
Once again, the hairloss is due to extreme dry and brittleness. Which is due to a deficientcy in other b vitamins, because you are megadosing on b5. Taking a b-complex once a day, and a dose of biotin with each b5 dose will **PREVENT** this from occuring.
I took the a b-complex and a biotin supplement religiously for the past 4 months and noticed no change what-so-ever.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by artlan
I took the a b-complex and a biotin supplement religiously for the past 4 months and noticed no change what-so-ever.
You went a year without them, while megadosing b5. And now its been over two years with these deficiencties present. Taking them now im sure will help minimally, or take longer too see the effect. The damage might already be done. Im not a doctor, but taking it after the damage is done won't have the same effect as taking it when you start the megadosing, which keeps it from happening. I don't beleive its going to cure someone whose levels are already screwed with for over 2 years.

Last edited by dfwgoodguy; 01-29-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #11
(male)

artlan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwgoodguy
You went a year without them, while megadosing b5. And now its been over two years with these deficiencties present. Taking them now im sure will help minimally, or take longer too see the effect. The damage might already be done. Im not a doctor, but taking it after the damage is done won't have the same effect as taking it when you start the megadosing, which keeps it from happening. I don't beleive its going to cure someone whose levels are already screwed with for over 2 years.
Perhaps your right, but you'd think that if something is not balanced, you should be able to balance it right? I also spoke with people who supplemented with B-Complex and still were losing hair.

Vitamin B5 cured my acne, but it screwed up my hair...

Old 01-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by artlan
Perhaps your right, but you'd think that if something is not balanced, you should be able to balance it right? I also spoke with people who supplemented with B-Complex and still were losing hair.

Vitamin B5 cured my acne, but it screwed up my hair...
How much where these people taking? And yourself?

I took 11g's a day for about 8 months. Dose of biotin with each b5 dose, and one b-complex a day. My face got more oily at first, then went back to my regular oil level, had bad breakouts, skin never dried. I have been off about a year and have had no change in hair or skin, during or since the b5. So I don't know why yall are losing hair. Biotin was takin about 4-5times a day, took a total of at least 3000 mcg a day. So this could have been my helper..Don't know for sure.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #13

Forcefed4 HB User

I have used Vitamin B5 twice now. I first tried it in August of 2002, at 10grams a day, and was amazed at the difference in acne. After ~90 days, I lowered the amount I took, and kept lowering the amount, to the point where I stopped it in January of 2003. By April of 2003, 3 months after stopping B5, I was back at the dermatologist again, breaking out bad and looking for help.

After 6 months of some of my worst breakouts ever (deep acne, no visible head, very painful), I started B5 again in October of 2003. I only took 4grams a day, but it was enough to clear me again. Sure, I still get tiny little whiteheads now and then, but B5 has been a miracle for me. I never get the pimples that feel like 'peas' under my skin (heard someone here describe it that way, and I never forgot that...that person also said B5 worked for them).

So I have been taking B5 for 16 months straight, a few grams a day, and my skin is no longer a focus (other than my mental hangup that I fear the painful acne will return). I was not taking any other multivitamins, or B-complex, and it was not a problem. Out of fear of a B-vitamin deficiency, I started a B-50 a few weeks ago since it was inexpensive.

B5 really has been a miracle for me. I would highly recommend to anyone who is breaking out suddenly to give it a shot.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
(female)

MovingForward HB User

Do any of you know if I can take b5 along with a birth control pill (OrthoTri)? I am starting the pill this week, and now I would like to start b5 asap too.

Also, what about taking Zinc along with b5? I have been researching online for awhile, and so far b5 and Zinc seem to be the most prevalent suggestions when looking for vitamins to fight acne. However, should I just try one at a time?

I believe my acne is hormonal (mostly on my chin), in case that makes a difference. Thank you for your help!

(And thank you for suggesting Biotin and a B-Complex to go along with b5. I hadn't read that before.)

Last edited by MovingForward; 02-26-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Closed Thread