It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
Veteran

turbonamja HB User
Grieving father spends $1 million nest egg to investigate Accutane

yahoo article online ... too long to post so if someone wants to read it just search for it. interesting ...

Old 01-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User
Re: Grieving father spends $1 million nest egg to investigate Accutane

If this keeps happening accutane shouldn't be around for long.There has to be something better and safer out there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lisa24 HB User

Well, I'm sorry for this man's loss, but if I could be in that courtroom, i would definitely be on Roche's side, testifying for the good of accutane.
When I got this stuff, I had to go through papers and papers and more papers stating the side effects, including that it may cause depression. And accutane is not the only drug out there that 'may cause depression'. Everything has side effects to it. I firmly believe it is up to the individual to decide if they wish to use the medicine or not. It's not up to this one man out there fighting against everyone else.
I can only say, if it does get taken off the market... well, lets just say I won't be to happy. Oh, I can't even express my anger in reading that.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

Ohhh I so agree with Lisa on this one! Anyone who is/has been on Accutane knows what kind of papers you need to sign before going on it. You KNOW the risk before even taking your first pill. It is very clearly stated what it can cause. Did anyone ever think the person was depressed before even going on accutane? I have not read the article yet, so I can't comment directly on that...but I can only image. My dr told me that thousands of people have taken accutane, and there have only been a handful that have killed themselves, and they don't even know if it is directly because of the accutane....you do the math....that percentage is not even .0001 pecent.

Matt

Old 01-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

cheerful64 HB User

i agree with the majority on this, every drug has its risks and when you take them you must accept those risks, plus there is no use in digging for someone to point the finger at!

Old 01-28-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
(female)

acnescargirl HB User

maybe the fathr is just trying to make sense of it. and blaming accutane is part of his grieving process. lets not be too hard on him y'all

Old 01-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

pink-pajamas HB User

I totally feel for this guy however I agree with all of you, everyone is warned about the side effects... I think that acne causes depression. Too bad we can't take acne to court...

Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

Where's the humanity?! I agree that you do sign your name before taking the drug and all but is it worth a life?! If you died from it would you want everyone to be like "Oh, that's just another kid." Bottom line is if that accutane has been linked to numerous deaths then money should be put in to investigate it. I don't know about you guys put I wouldn't gamble with my life. There has to be another safer alternative to this.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

It's really impossible to determine causation rather that correlation to drugs and suicides.

The psychiatry world has been suffering with this type of opposition for years... someone goes on Prozac, kills himself, and instantly the drug is to blame. But some of those people are so deep into depression before hand that they are too unmotivated to kill themselves, but as soon as it lifts a little with the meds, they finally have the energy to do it. Can you really blame the drug? In fact, its positive effects may have been the cause of the suicide.

To really go out on a limb, perhaps this boy who killed himself was struggling with life in general, before he even went on accutane. Most people who have acne are suffering emoitionally ANYWAY... we've all been there. But it's also really easy to blame acne for every problem in your life and unexamine what you're doing wrong in every other area of your existence. Perhaps when the accutane started working and his acne began to clear, he realized that there were other reasons for his inner misery and couldn't deal with that fact.

The bottom line is, when someone has mental issues, you can't immediately jump the gun and blame the drug. There are many other psychological aspects to examine. And this father who's son committed suicide (as bad as I feel for him) needs to look inwardly and see what kind of father he was, and examine how sensitive he was to his son's needs and issues. People can go all out in denial to avoid any accountability with the suicide of a child, and it's probably easier for this guy to blame accutance than think he had any part in influencing his child's life.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:53 AM   #10

kittikat HB User

The bottom line, drugs (whether they be prescibe or not) have an effect on the physical, psychological and emotional aspects of the person. You can't ingest something and say it has no effect on your physical and psychological well being. Both go hand in hand. Everyone on this board says diet effects both your physical and psychological well being. When you ingest something that is healthy for you, you feel good. When you don't, you feel crappy (both physically and emotionally). It is the same for anything.

I believe that Accutane can have a dangerous effect both on one's physical (hair loss, dry skin, chapped lips, liver and kidney problems) and psychological (depression, suicidal ideations) demeanor. It should be studied further to determine its pros and cons as an acne treatment. I don't believe it is worth it to risk your physical and emotional health for acne. It is like saying that it is a very low risk that lightening will strike a person. But for the person it strikes, it is definitely a horrible experience, both for the person and their family.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

The thing is, nobody MADE that boy take accutane. It's a risk just like any other prescription. There are pages and pages of risks outlined before the drug is prescribed, and if you sign them and take the drug, it's at your own risk. There are plenty of people that benefit from it, and it isn't fair to those people to pull a drug off the market because another person made a poor decision. If you have any common sense, you say, "You know what, this drug isn't making me feel so good. I'm going to stop taking it."

Our society these days has no personal accountability. There's always somebody or someone else to blame for your problems. I pay an extra couple of cents to have that pointless hot drink warning on the side of my Dunkin Donuts cup because some idiot was stupid enough to drive with it between their legs and blame the drink. That being said, my personal belief is that accutane is too dangerous to take... that's why I don't take it.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

Anyone who's ever taken their own life whilst on accutane was already depressed. Last New Year I was incredibly unhappy and I considered commiting suicide (thankfully, when I searched for methods online I only found pages and pages of caring advice). I even wrote a note in which I expressly stated that my taking accutane should not be blamed. If anything, whilst on accutane I am happier because it provides some light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #13

kittikat HB User

Aquarius 0121,

You have a very good point!

Old 01-30-2005, 07:55 AM   #14
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

Don't think that by my post I meant that I didn't care about someone killing themselves. I certainly do care, and I feel bad for the family's loss.

But, I am so tired of everyone being so sue happy in this country. You know what? I bet that boy ate some eggs the morning before he killed himself...lets sue the chicken industry, too!

The fact of the matter is, It is impossible to determine the cause of the suicide. He very well could have been very depressed and suicidal before even going on accutane.

And yes, it is possible, that maybe the accutane did cause it. However, it isn't like the dr's did not explain that depression could happen. It clearly states that if any of this happens to you, you need to stop taking the medicine and contact your doctor right away.

Matt

Old 01-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

EnergyRush, I know you didn't mean to be insensitive, but insensitive is exactly what that guy's being. If his case leads to accutane being pulled, where does that leave the massive majority of future candidates who could benefit from it?!

It's like saying automobiles should be destroyed because one person took their eyes off the road and crahed.

Closed Thread