It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User
Why Diet Is Important... Put Simply

Why is diet important?

Refined carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne

Old 01-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Inactive

matterson HB User
Re: Why Diet Is Important... Put Simply

ok so what foods have the things that you are talking about in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 08:03 AM   #3

kittikat HB User

That is all crap. I did not change a thing a year and half ago when I started to develop acne again. I had a little more stress in my life. But that is all. Did not change my diet, exercised and washed my face with body soap. All of a sudden I was developing acne. I have used everything from topicals to natural ingredients to get rid of my acne. Oh, I did change one thing. I became a vegetarian. BIG MISTAKE. When I cut out all the carbohydrates, meats and dairy products out of my diet, my acne got worse. I have also tried to use so-called jojoba oils. All it did was make my skin itchy and dry. By the way, I also broke out.

I belive that if you should eat a balanced diet, but not to overdo it. I am tired of people saying that you have to eliminate a ton of things from your diet to get rid of acne. It is not true. Eat a balanced diet, but don't go crazy. It will probably lead to stressin' yourself out because you ate a little piece of cheese and that is what you think caused your break out. Then you will blame yourself. It is not worth it.

Another thing, I used supplements to help with my acne. Again big mistake. I took calcium supplements because I was told it helped to control acne. I ended up developing kidney stones because it. I also took fish oil supplements. They effected by stomache so bad, I had pain for a week. Again not worth it. All I take now is a multi-vitamin.

Last edited by kittikat; 01-29-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

kittikat - I doubt that you broke out because of your healthy lifestyle. There's no way that if you followed something that strictly that you could have broken out. Maybe your acne is not because of your diet. There's other things that contribute to it. I also have never heard of calcium having any effect on acne so I wouldn't understand that part of your story. It's simple and already known that -----> Refined carbs/sugar = more insulin = more hormones = more sebum (oil) = more bacteria = more acne. But it's also known that a messed up liver cannot get rid of excess hormones. I'm sorry but your story to me just doesn't make sense. It goes against human nature.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

All I'm saying is that if I eat stupid foods like chocolate, sweets, ice cream, crisps, excessive dairy, etc., I *will* break out and I *will* be depressed. If I stay on the wagon I will only have fading red marks and I will be happy. I've NEVER said a "bad" diet causes acne. But what I won't allow people to tell me is that adapting their diet cannot help them. It is the single most powerful weapon you have against acne.

To make it even more simple than Needzhelp did (and it was made incredibly simple), if you didn't eat *anything*, do you think you would still get acne? Please don't tell me you think you would. I'll probably die from the laughter

Old 01-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

Needzhelp is right only a good diet will keep your face clear and keep it clear. Im trying to start a good diet but its hard seeing how i have no money or a car.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

davelacb, my best advice on starting a new diet is *not* to revamp it entirely in one go. It never works. Case in point: my colleague at work spent £200 on food last month to start the latest diet fad: the red/green days diet (whatever it is). She seemed to believe that simply by changing *what* she ate, not how much, that she would lose weight. She stuffed countless straberries and salad into her mouth and came in one morning all depressed about her one pound weight gain.

She would have been far better off cutting out a few treats here and there and not denying herself her beloved elevenses baguette than she was totally revamping her diet. Sooner or later, no matter how strong you try to be, you will fold and you will binge. You would not be human otherwise. Take it slow my friend. You don't need a car - you've got time on your side. Build slowly and you can develop your ideal diet: the perfect balance between the promotion of healthy skin and the comfort of at least some of the foods you crave.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

i think so too because when i tried doing it like that I always gave up and I will change it gradually

Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #9

kittikat HB User

Needzhelp,

I never had a problem with my acne, until I cut out dairy products, meat, and carbohydrates. My own doctor/dermatologist told me it was bad for my health and it was a direct cause for my facial acne. They told me that my diet was not balanced enough and should be supplemented by meat, dairy products and carbohydrates. Since, I stopped being so fussy about what I eat, my acne has decreased. I asked my dermatologist about all the supplements talked about on this board. He stated that the dosages are way to high and can lead to long term damage to the body. So I take my multivitamin, eat a balanced diet, and live my life. It can be hard sometimes, but following some of the diets and programs recommended here can make most people go crazy.

Closed Thread