It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #1

aftermath HB User
When does adolescent acne end?

I know what the answer to this will probably be...everybody is different! My derm said the same thing. I know girls may have problems into adulthood, a lot more likely then men. But till when is it normal to still have acne for boys? My father and uncle both had a lot of acne, and my father said his zits stopped around 18, my uncle said he was completely clean at 20, but even now with 37 he still gets occassional few zits, and some friends that had it gave me the same ages. I read in a few places that moderate cases tend to go away in the early 20s or early adulthood! Does it mean that I may be stuck with it till that age, because I highly doubt it's normal to have zits in that age. Virtually, nobody outgrows acne, maybe when you are like 60 but I want to know what are the usual ages that a person's skin looks clear?

Old 02-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User
Re: When does adolescent acne end?

aftermath, i'm a girl with acne, so i can't speak from personal experience as a boy, but i have a cousin who had a terrible case of acne in his teen years and tried all the usual stuff, proactive, cleosin, etc, but in the last year he turned 20 and his seemed to resolve on it's own. also, he stopped growing finally, at 6'2. maybe a link there? you should see a derm if you're feeling badly about it, nobody should have to just take that. i was always told that my acne "wasn't that bad" but when you have five zits on your own face, it is that bad! gimme the antibiotics! gimme the topicals! i'm 30 now and wish i'd gone to the doc years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

Well, I am a male, 21 and haven't grown for about 2 or 3 years and I still have acne! lol, so I don't think that is the link...but maybe for some it is...who knows!

Matt

Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #4

aftermath HB User

I have been using benzalin on my face for over 2 years, have dropped it once to try different stuff about a year ago and got back on it and I must say that my acne is maybe a 100 times better then it was back then, but I do still get some stuff but I'm scared that it's only the cream that's doing this. I'm afraid that if I stop it and it all comes back, if nothing would come back then I would know I'm good.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

CyberNick HB User

I'm almost 21 and still get noticeable small zits every now and then, but the only time my acne starts to act up is if I pick at my face, and I've slowly learned not to touch my face and leave it alone. I used to literally sit in my bathroom for over an hour going over my face for any small imperfection or blackhead and I'd pick every single one that I found. My acne started at about 15 and went on until about 18-19, Now in my 20's it's a lot more under control.

Most people that I know seem to kind of "outgrow" more moderate acne around their early 20's it seems, when they're pretty much done growing and done with puberty completely.

If your dad said he was clear at around 18, then you'll probably be fine once you're a little older. My dad had acne as well as my mother (great! i know) until they were both around 17-18, but my dad looked like a full grown 30-year old man at 18 and I actually look like I'm 20 lol. It seems there's a lot of factors involved, just try to find something that works for you.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Needzhelp HB User

starting at age 9 acne can last 5-10 years.

Closed Thread