It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
(male)

FearUntilClear HB User
Question What's the Reason?

Hello fellow Healthbordians!
I would just like to ask those who have acne, why they want to get rid of it. I would also like to ask the people who have gotten rid of it, why did you get rid of it? I'm not saying you should have left it, I am just asking your specific reason, like for example... You thought you were ugly, You couldn't get a girlfriend, It hurt, It seemed harder to get a job, etc. Thank you!

Old 02-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
(male)

xghostsniperx HB User
Re: What's the Reason?

I can give about 10 reasons:

1. It looks bad.
2. It's itchy sometimes.
3. It's tougher to get a girlfriend.
4. You're less confident.
5. You look older with acne.
6. To stop people from making fun of me.
7. To stop people from telling me to "wash my face or something".
8. To prove to my parents that I can truly stick with something, even if it's tough (some topicals, accutane)
9. So I don't have to be embarrassed when we start talking about acne in class.
10. So I don't have to worry about it when I'm older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

CyberNick HB User

I think it mainly has to do with self-esteem issues and the perception of others about you. I'm 21 and still have moderate acne that's going strong(since I've been 15), and it really has taken a toll on me mentally and emotionally. I have a very supportive girlfriend, but that is only one aspect of my life. I'm also in college, which makes things much worse for me.

I feel like everytime I meet someone all they see is my face and not who I am, and that it also limits me in my social interactions. It has caused me to have Social Anxiety Disorder, where I feel very uncomfortable around people I don't know or facing new situations where I may have to interact with new people. When I walk around campus I walk with my head down instead of with confidence.

I know that if I didn't have acne I would be a much more confident and carefree person, without a doubt. It really hurts to hear girls say "He'd be really cute if his face were clear." (Not that a girl has ever said this to my face, but it's basically what I hear from friends who tell me what girls say). I think I would be a good-looking, confident guy without acne, which is why I say it limits me in a way. I know I'd be a much more outgoing and social person if I didn't have to worry about how my face looked all the time.

I know that everyone likes to give you the cliche "Don't worry, its what's on the inside that counts!", and yes that's true to an extent, but you have to be real. I'm living in Southern California, where everybody is beautiful and obsessed with their self image, and also where first impressions are extremely important. Walking around campus all you see are beautiful girls everywhere, and it sucks to think "Wow, I bet none of them would ever be interested in me."

So for me, Self-Esteem is a major issue that comes along with my acne. Mainly because my life is really good except for the fact that my face breaks out like I'm 15, so it's one of the things that I always find myself thinking about. I still really haven't found anything that works for me, so I'm thinking about starting Accutane soon. My derm recommended it, but I said I wanted to think about it since it is such a strong medication. Guess we'll see.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

glamourgal HB User

I know how you feel---I usually feel the same way. My acne is in the form of little bumps that are under my skin all over my face--so in some lighting it does not look like I have acne (my face looks clear). I get so worried when the lighting is bright because I know that the bumps will be noticeable. This definitely has an effect on my self-esteem!!

Old 02-23-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Im usually a pretty confident person and feel like i can take on the world most of the time.But being 48 and with acne really destroys my confidence in myself.I feel ppl stare at me and are thinking to themselves whats wrong with her face.Im not as out going as i used to be,and it effects my 6 yr old sons life also.Because he wants to do things outdoors but, moms always hiding inside till the flareup subsides.I have a couple other medicals problems that i deal with fairly well,but not the acne problem.Hard to keep makeup on when your swimming in a public pool or sweating.Im somewhat overweight and would love to workout on a regular basis.But what i find is when i sweat i breakout even more,so i cant even workout which i like to do.Take care.,

Old 02-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

is this even a real question? are you doing a research paper or something? acne is a hideous, disfiguring disease of the skin. if it were another type of non-fatal disease there would be parades and fundraisers to try to find a cure, but for most people, who grow out of it, it's just a joke. i can assure you, that for those of us who have it, esp those of us who are well out of our teen years, it is no joke and the psychological effect is as devastating as if it were burns or some such thing, only if it were burns there would be more funding and sensitivity to it.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
(male)

FearUntilClear HB User

I did it for the physical look of myself, and so I could talk to people. A couple years ago, we had this thing in Art, where we have a partner and draw them... when I saw that picture I wanted to cry... the way my acne was drawn, made me look like some kind of monster. I got rid of it finally 6 months of agony, of having to deal with blood testing once a month, aching joints, and headaches. After the art thing.. I couldn't handle it anymore, I broke down and just wen't into depressed mode, refused to go to school, got put into homeschooling. So it made a pretty big impact on me. My highschool ID was horrible that year too, Minocin broke me out worse than anything after I got back on it, then the BP dried my face out so much.. cystic acne...so it made my face look all swollen. Whenever I got called on, in class.. I would like freak out and I know my face would turn kinda red.. it just.. it made me seclude myself and I felt as if noone would look me in the eyes when I talked to them, like all they would notice are the damn things on my face. Like everyone was, even walking down the street.. but that's when I would actually go outside. My social life was ZERO. Hope you guys succeed in ridding yourselves of the demon.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
(male)

FearUntilClear HB User
Unhappy Re: What's the Reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arock
is this even a real question? are you doing a research paper or something? acne is a hideous, disfiguring disease of the skin. if it were another type of non-fatal disease there would be parades and fundraisers to try to find a cure, but for most people, who grow out of it, it's just a joke. i can assure you, that for those of us who have it, esp those of us who are well out of our teen years, it is no joke and the psychological effect is as devastating as if it were burns or some such thing, only if it were burns there would be more funding and sensitivity to it.
This is a real question! I could probably write a book, with all the crap I've been on. Thing that worked was Accutane, and I still suffer dry skin from that. Especially for being well out of your teen years? You know how many people constantly talked about me? How much verbal abuse I took and jokes? How it effected my grades? How it effected my personality? Most of those things we get from highschool like grades, friends(Lack of), experiences, memories..etc... We take all those things with us when we go out into the world. From my point of view, I'd say it's alot harder and worse going through Highschool with Acne. Especially when it's not just like, normal teen kind, but cystic, hurts, needing to take pills and see a doctor acne. Yearbook pictures, which alot of people keep forever.. those pictures will always exist and you'll always be known as the kid with really bad acne. Prom? Good-luck... All big things in our lives... It's important. Some of which decide if you'll make out there...

Old 02-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User

WHy i dislike acne
Its ulgy,it affects my self esteem..it never leaves my mind..esecailly when having to look in the mirror.it makes u envious of eople who do have clear skin..'THE WHY ME Syndrome"...

Old 02-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

fearuntilclear- i'm sorry if i was kinda harsh there, feeling a little defensive maybe. acne absolutely sucks, at any age. like you i've been on every medication and tried every snake oil thing out there without much success. but when you're 30 there's not much hope of growing out of it, know what i mean? and not much excuse for it either. and instead of it just affecting you, it also affects the spouse and the kids too. as in, "what's all that stuff on your mom's face?" i do look people in the eye now, but it still stings when i see the people i'm talking to, talking to my cysts. so rude, but i know they probably can't help it. i do look like some kind of monster, but f***it. i'm cool, smart, funny and have a great husband and son, and a derm who i trust and believe is honest with me. this too shall pass..... eventually!

anyhoo, i was lashing out at you when i was really ****** off about my new cyst and i apologize.

someday my accutane course will begin to work and maybe i won't be so mad anymore. a little more roll with the punches, like i really am.

so are you clear now? how long has it been? what do you use on your skin now?

Old 02-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
(male)

FearUntilClear HB User
Wink Re: What's the Reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arock
fearuntilclear- i'm sorry if i was kinda harsh there, feeling a little defensive maybe. acne absolutely sucks, at any age. like you i've been on every medication and tried every snake oil thing out there without much success. but when you're 30 there's not much hope of growing out of it, know what i mean? and not much excuse for it either. and instead of it just affecting you, it also affects the spouse and the kids too. as in, "what's all that stuff on your mom's face?" i do look people in the eye now, but it still stings when i see the people i'm talking to, talking to my cysts. so rude, but i know they probably can't help it. i do look like some kind of monster, but f***it. i'm cool, smart, funny and have a great husband and son, and a derm who i trust and believe is honest with me. this too shall pass..... eventually!

anyhoo, i was lashing out at you when i was really ****** off about my new cyst and i apologize.

someday my accutane course will begin to work and maybe i won't be so mad anymore. a little more roll with the punches, like i really am.

so are you clear now? how long has it been? what do you use on your skin now?
I understand. So.... Apology, accepted!

To answer your question there at the end... Yes, I have cleared up. All that's left are these red marks and some scarring left over from the years I've had it... I think it's been about 5 or 6 years or so.. with some pretty rough months where it borke out, BIG. Sometimes it hurt so much I'd cry... Right now I use, Aveno Moisterizing Lotion, the rest of my body is pretty dry as well, I use.. Bath and Body works Pleasures : Moonlight Path. Body lotion. I still need to get Retin-A for the scarrs though... Other than really dry skin, I'm pretty good. I still can get little break outs though.. so I'm not immune to it, but nothing to worry about.. maybe 1 or 2 little guys once in awhile. I use Dove soap, as it doesn't do what ivory or any others do to me, which is.. dry me out even more. I was treated with Accutane for 6 months. Funny thing is.. I got tanner while being on the medication, cause' I was outside. Another thing that could help if anyone's wondering.. a girlfriend. My girlfriend was very supportive of me, and I love her very much. She loves me for who I am and see's the person under the skin. Even though.. she still thought I was hott even with acne. Guess she just saw past what I had.. she's the best. If she thought I was hott then, can't imagine how I look now. Kinda caught me off guard, because everyone I've met thus far, has thought I was ugly. Lol. She's hott too. She got me to open up. Without her, I probably wouldn't have gotten on accutane or be clear right now. For all of this.. I love her very much. Hear that Shianne! I love you! I'm sure your husband helps you out alot too. Good-luck fighting the beast. Think of people who had/have acne to be like an army. We've all tried to fight it, some beat it, some have yet to prevail. But we've all been there. We shouldn't go against eachother like what happened before with me and you. We both know what we're fighting/foughten and the only thing we can do is help eachother. Goodluck, and I hope all be well with you.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:43 PM   #12
(male)

aatif HB User

yup,i think i was a very Good Looking person...but these Scars on my nose has got my personality tainted...
and everyone around me has flawless skin,aslo i feel like people really feel bad about me.
but to be with you folks feels gr8 ;-)

Old 02-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #13
(male)

yelps HB User

Arock, if some criminal disfigured another persons face on purpose to the extent that cystic acne does, that criminal would most likely get a very long sentence. Which is to point out how it is a detriment to a persons self esteem.

Closed Thread