It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 10:47 AM   #1

caedmyn HB User
Question food & acne?

How long should I avoid a food to see if it affects my acne? Also, if a food does affect it, when I eliminate the food, would my existing acne show improvement, or would there just not be any new breakouts?

I switched to a whole foods (no processed foods) diet a couple of weeks ago, and eliminated all sugar (I use raw honey for a sweetner), but that hasn't helped my acne. Now I'm trying to eliminate dairy products to see if that helps. I can't really use any topicals/antibiotics except clindamyacin because I'm trying to get pregnant.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #2

Sameesh HB User
Re: food & acne?

You have to be patient whatever your doing, especially with diet. It might take awhile to see good eating take care of the effects of years of bad eating. Ive been eating best I ever have all my life for about a few months now, and think im actually starting to see results, but still not perfect. But I do still have dairy everyday, organic only tho.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
(male)

yelps HB User

I would say give it at least a month. There are so many people who are sure that no sugar is the way to go. I would like to know the results at one month.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
How long should I avoid a food to see if it affects my acne? Also, if a food does affect it, when I eliminate the food, would my existing acne show improvement, or would there just not be any new breakouts?

I switched to a whole foods (no processed foods) diet a couple of weeks ago, and eliminated all sugar (I use raw honey for a sweetner), but that hasn't helped my acne. Now I'm trying to eliminate dairy products to see if that helps. I can't really use any topicals/antibiotics except clindamyacin because I'm trying to get pregnant.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Your existing acne will start to heal IF you eliminate the source of what induced your existing acne. Therefore you know you have picked the right diet for you, if you can heal your existing acne and you no longer get that particular type anymore.

Some of us get different types of acne and they are caused for different reasons. I get acne form foods that increase my insulin resistance and thus hyperandrogenism & inflammatory product formation (gluten, dairy, bananas, trans fats, fructose sweeteners, & table sugar). Some of these such as bananas & fructose sweeteners (fruit juice, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup) give me cysts.

I also get acne from foods that apparently I'm intolerant too, such as nuts, peanuts (legume) and the genus Prunus (almonds, plums, apricots, peaches, nectarines, cherries) that invoke CYSTS horribly stubborn cysts that lasts 2 - 4 weeks if I mess up.

Oh and that's another thing, once you figure it, don't try consuming those foods again or your body may respond much harsher than it did before =( I can cheat with table sugar/sucrose/evaporated cane juice (honey falls under this try xylitol) and almost always only get tiny sugar pimples that go away withn 2-3 days, but again even that's too much for some people. Yet with those foods that give me cysts, on no, I've learned my lesson.

Best of Luck

Last edited by SweetJade1; 02-25-2005 at 09:54 AM.

Closed Thread