It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User
Lightbulb Acne and Oral Hygiene Connection

This is purely for my own curiosity, but do any acne suffers out there have any dental issues?

Here's what I'm thinking. The human mouth has TONS of bacteria in it, and seeing that the mouth is technically part of our face, there is a strong possibility that a mouth with more bacteria in it could contribute to acne flare-ups. Cavities are caused by sugar/starch based food (it is common knowledge that before refined sugar/carbs our cave men ancestors didn't have cavities... not even one) which form plaque - made of bacteria. Bacteria is what causes acne - I use the word "cause" loosely.

Now if our mouth has a significant amount of bacteria in it, say from a day of not brushing, it is a distinct possibity that this bacteria works its way from our mouth to our face. The most obvious way would be by drooling on your pillow and rubbing your face on that area of the pillow most of the night. I know from experience when I drool in my sleep and I wake up with some outside my mouth, I usually have pimple flareups there. (sorry for the visual)

In any case, these diets that many board posters rave about cut out bacteria-causing foods. So it is possible, all else holding constant, if an acne sufferer cuts out these foods they should expect less acne BECAUSE their mouths are cleaner. They should also therefore have a better dental record.

So if anyone has a moment, please respond! I'm mainly interested in how many times a day you brush your teeth, your cavity history, and diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
(male)

Pilky HB User
Re: Acne and Oral Hygiene Connection

Heh, never thought about this...

Anyway, i brush my teeth twice a day and use mouthwas along with it both times. I dont eat alot of sweets at all, though i do eat alot of pasta.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User
Re: Acne and Oral Hygiene Connection

Nope not a connection for me I brush twice a day and haven't had one cavity in my 27 years!

Closed Thread