It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
(male)

RAOULFERNANDEZ HB User
Intolerant to accutane and resistant to minomycin and differin

I went on accutane for 11 months. It was great. However, I developed severe chronic fatigue sydrome and depression for 4 years. It was hell and im lucky I pulled through. What is worse is that my acne came back as it was before treatment and I cant do anything about it. It has been almost 5 years now since I stopped accutane and Im sick and tired of acne on my face, back and head. It hurts, its grosse and ugly. I take minomycin and differin. Differin does nothing. I have a lot of acne. Can anything else work?? Any other creams??

Can someone help me out here?

Cheers

Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User
Re: Intolerant to accutane and resistant to minomycin and differin

Differin has worked great for me..my acne isnt severve more mild..i think Differin works be for those with mild ot moderate acne not severve..Perhaps Benzamycin cream,Duac,spiro or retian a could work..talk to your derm...acne does sucks..i know...good luck..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

JuiciCouture HB User

What kind of dosage were you on on Accutane?? When did you notice the depression from it? Im glad you pulled through. 11 months seems like a really long time. The reccomended time is maximum 6 months... So maybe that is why you suffered those effects? Im not saying you should try accutane again, but I think at a different dosage, for a shorter amount of time..maybe it could help you?
How long did you acne stay away when you were off of the Accutane?

Anyways.. Is your acne cystic? I think that you could try something like Retin-A Micro (its horrible at first, but it starts to calm down.. much like accutane).. And you can add an antibiotic cream such as Duac or Clindagel. This should help, at least. I dont think anything but Accutane is really approved for CURING acne.. but these things can help to control most of it. Im using Doxycycline and Retin-A Micro and so far its OK. Im breaking out still...but the cysts seem to go away faster than when I wasnt on RAM. And I also am not getting the ones that connect together which I was getting every month before Retin-A Micro. The Doxycycline is only at 2 weeks right now, So I cant tell if its helping..But I dont like anti-biotics anyway. They usually dont work,and if they do- its only while you are taking them. So I feel like Im wasting time.

I hope you find something that works for you. Try looking up Photodynamic Light Therapy with Levulan. Its for use of treating cystic acne, and works much like accutane without the side effects. Its a laser treatment. I dont know its success rate, but it might be what does it for you. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Do you have any other problems besides your cystic acne? Water retention, back pain, insomnia or anything else you are dealing with that might seem unrelated? or is it just the acne?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #5

leb1977 HB User

Raoul,
I'm curious about your depression from the accutane. You were on accutane for 11 months, correct... and if I am understanding correctly, the following 4 years after being off the accutane, you were depressed?

Can you share some of the experiences, were you seeing a therapist? What did he/she tell you? How about your dermatologist, what did they tell you? I am curious because I too was on accutane for about 5 months about 2 years ago and I have depression as well, but I always throught that the side effects of depression occurred while you were on the medication... not after... so I never made the link. Any information would be great!

Old 04-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
(female)

Kewky HB User

I've had 2 courses of Accutane treatment. The first was for 6 months and the results lasted about 6 months (after treatment) and the 2nd time I was on it for 9 months.
Around 6 months after that treatment ended, I started breaking out again but not cystic, like they were. I started using Proactiv and it has worked really well for me. I found no antibiotics, oral or topical, really did anything for me. Acne sucks!
As for the depression, I'm also curious about your experience. I have been depressed the past few years but didn't link it to the Accutane because I thought it occurred only while you were taking it. Hmmmnn

Good luck to you!

Old 04-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
(female)

*pig_tails* HB User

Hey guys!

Man this is scary stuff! I'm on accutane too and i've been on it for 5months now.. and its still not clear and full dry.. I only have like 1 month to go.. and scared its going to return again like you! I'm on 60mgs and i'm 95lbs. Its a strong dose for my weight but somehow it's not fully working. I didn't get a breakout so i was happy with that. But i heard its better to get an initial breakout becoz it gets all the dirty stuff out.. ARGH!! frustrating!

Also kewky!! You started using proactiv? when did you start using that after accutane? isn't that stuff like strong for people on accutane and post accutane?? Coz maybe i should try proactiv when i'm off it. I used it before but didn't seem to help.. it just dried out my skin and irritated it.. HMmmm... But since i've been on accutane maybe proactiv will respond better...
Advice please!! thanks =)

Last edited by *pig_tails*; 04-07-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
(female)

Kewky HB User

Hi pig tails!

I started the Proactiv about 6 months or so after the 2nd Accutane course.
I actually bought it for my daughter but when I started to break out again I decided to use it for myself and I really like it. I always put on moisturizer to help with the dryness. If you do try it again and it's irritating your skin, maybe try every other day. Best Wishes...

Old 04-15-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
(male)

lolitazz HB User

my derm says her own acne is resistant to accutane, so she takes birth control and it goes away. I don't know if that's something you already tried.

Closed Thread