It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #1

NiGHT_StORM HB User
Exclamation I need help with tanning!.........Tips please!

Ok im pale white(not Micheal Jackson white ) right now,and im planning on getting a membership for tanning next week.The thing is i use acne products,like BP and Muti-Vitamin Acne Treatment.I know those things make your face more sensetive to the sun and i assume to tanning beds as well.So i need some tips on how i should go about tanning while im using these things?

Here is my normal routine for the day-

I get up in the mourning wash my face with Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Face Wash.Then i apply some BP to any bad pimples i may have(if i dont have any bad 1's i skip the BP)then i put on Clean and Clear Mourning Burst Moisturiser SPF15.

At night i take a shower wash my face with the face wash,and then i apply the Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin Acne Treatment.After it dries a few mins i then put on more moisturiser.

I plan on going to the tanning bed of a mourning,so should i just wash my face and go?.Or should i not wash my face go tan then come back and wash my face and go on about my routine?.Im really not sure how to go about doing this so that my face doesnt get burned and things,but im sick of being so pale i want to get a little darker,atleast then my acne wont be so easy to spot.So please can anyone give me any tips with this?,what do you guys that go to tanning beds do?.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #2
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User
Re: I need help with tanning!.........Tips please!

I don't recommend you undertake any form of tanning given your current regime. The two simply don't mix.

AA
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

I'd lay off the BP and salicylic acid for a few days prior to your first tanning session. But keep moisturizing!

Old 03-05-2005, 07:08 AM   #4

NiGHT_StORM HB User

So you guys think i should just stop using the acne stuff if im going to tan?.I really hate 2 stop because the Multi-Vitamin treatment seems to be working for me.Is there any kind of lotion i could put on my face while tanning to keep it from getting burnt,but still tan?.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #5

Sman HB User

You could always try the artificial tanning products...

Old 03-05-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

laurelw915 HB User

You can still get good color if you use an spf. i use an spf 8, it keeps me from getting burned. i have an spf in my moisturizer.i put that on before i go. the first time you go, you should not go very long,like 3 minutes, and if you don't burn then the next time increase the time by 1 or 2 minutes. the best way is to use an spf and gradually get darker. if your in a hurry to get tanned you'll end up burned.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #7

NiGHT_StORM HB User

Ok,so if i have spf 15 in my mosituriser,should i also use SPF 15 sunscreen for my whole body?.And if i stop using the acne creams is it ok to still use the Skin clearing face wash?

Old 03-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Inactive

Takara HB User

Are you sure you really want to start tanning? For one you would have to stop using your acne products which will make you break out. Two, tanning will dry up your skin which then causes more oil production which will make you break out. Three, tanning will darken any red marks or scars that you may have from previous acne. Four, you will have wrinkles waaaayyy earlier than you would have if you didn't tan. (Trust me, I've seen studies done with twins and I also work in the skin care biz.) Five, you increase your risk for skin cancer and did you know that more people get skin cancer than many other cancers?

I self tan with a bottle. This would be the smartest thing for you if you want to have nice, clear skin.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
(female)

TD625 HB User

You could tan, but only tan your face for a few minutes, not the whole time. Tanning makes me break out cause it dries up my skin, but if I only tan my face for like 3-5 minutes and then cover it up I'm fine! Good Luck

Old 03-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #10

NiGHT_StORM HB User

Man,acne just freakin sucks!.If i want to tan ill have to stop using the creams,but im so sick of being pale,ppl with tans look so much better than ppl without a tan.I would use the fake tanning stuff,but am afraid to try it cuz it may make me look more orange than tan.Not only that but isnt that stuff costly?.I dont know what to do,i may just say screw it and stop the creams and go,im getting pretty sick of having to put all that crap on my face anyways.Well thanx for the help guys,im just not sure what im going to do though.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #11
Inactive

Takara HB User

Tanning lotion is not that expensive... not compared to the products you will be buying when your older to get rid of all your wrinkles. And also not compared to the price you will pay at the tanning booths. There are plenty of tanning creams/foams out there that are made for the face and do not have oil in them. Are you really willing to risk breaking out again with tanning beds or are you going to at least try the self tanners?

Old 03-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #12

NiGHT_StORM HB User

I dont know,like i said im afriad to use the self-tanners.Anyway im not that worried about getting wrinkles your going to get them no matter what you do.Yeah maybe being in the sun or tanning beds,cuz them faster,but i want to get alittle color.If i get wrinkles sooner than later,cuz of it then so be it.Like i said its going to happen regaurdless.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Anibanani HB User

maybe you could just use a fake tanner on your face and get a real ta on the rest of your body that's what I'm planning on doing. Coppertone never turned me orange and it's not that expensive, tanning beds are more expensive at the end

Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 AM   #14

NiGHT_StORM HB User

Nah,i think im just gonna go to the tanning bed.Ive did some searching on the net and it seems most ppl with acne that go to the tanning bed say that it cleared them up.Besides i think if i take it slow and use the lotions/moisturisers that it cant really hurt me to bad later on.Ill stop using the creams for acne,and see what happens.the fact of the matter is im not clear and the creams dont seem to do much for me in the end.So maybe tanning will help me,maybe it wont,but it couldnt make me much worse than i am now.Atleast in the end ill have some color and wont feel so bad cuz im so pale.You just look better with a tan,when your pale you just look bad.Anyway thanx for the replies but im going to go and take my chances.

By the way do you guys think i should use a different face wash,if im tanning?.Maybe someone could recommend me a face wash?.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #15

DrFunk HB User

When I go tanning i keep my regime the same, and when i'm tanning I only tan my face for a third of the total time. I cover it with the towel they provide. So far so good! I also have 15 SPF in my moisturizer that I use so i'm sure that helps!

Closed Thread