It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 02:51 AM   #1
(male)

mightbaal HB User
Minocycline hurry up this sux....

Minocycline has only cause my acne to get worse the past week..... I hope it stops getting worse and starts clearing up cause this acne crap is killing me inside..... I try to live life like I dont have it but I find myself hiding the lower half of my face (where I have the acne) and live an unsocial life... I dont like meeting new people at all.... been on minocycline for 1 week I dont know what to do it is making me break out and making my face a redish color this stuff needs to hurry up I just want to stay home and not go out into public areas for like 2 months to see if it works but this I feel will be a long long 2 months....... I feel like a ****in ugly monster and am very afraid about what others think....... like my friends expecially female friends but once this is kicking in I will gain my confidence back and meet many people like I have wanted to do since age 14!!!!!!! Anyone know the success rates in clearing up mild to moderate acne with minocycline?

Old 03-07-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
(male)

KyleDale HB User
Re: Minocycline hurry up this sux....

minocycline success rates aren't quite well documented since it is an antibiotic, most people that take it still get pimples just not as much, i suggest you think more seriously about accutane and get the guarentee of no more acne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

Acne Cured HB User
Exclamation Re: Minocycline hurry up this sux....

Mightbaal ... I was on Minocycline for months and it did work - I had mild enough acne on my lower face/chin area (this is typical when you're acne is caused by your hormones-you will get spots/pimples on your lower face). Minocycline and other antibiotics work because they lessen the chance of, or prevent new spots and pimples from reoccuring. Any spots that you have at the moment will just have to run their course and go away themselves. Like you, I realised I needed to do something about it when I caught myself hiding my face one day so please know you're not the only one who has gone through this!

I continued to take Minocycline even after my acne was gone, then after 8 months I decided to take a break from it as I didn't want to be constantly pumping stuff into my body. After about 3 months off the Minocycline my skin started to get bad again so I decided to go back on Minocycline. That's when I ended up in the emergency room (during world cup I might add!!) - I had built up some kind of alergy to Minocycline which resulted in symtoms like young onset of arthritious - severe stiff joints, ankles, knees, elbows etc etc - I was in so much pain! so if this side effect ever happend to you stop taking it!! I had always been a pretty sporty gal and the docs didn't know what was causing this sudden paralysis ... it took ages for them to realise it was the minocycline (even though I'd presented them with the meds on arrival at emergency room) - weeks later my GP looked up Minocycline in a Medical dictionary and it was documented that it may cause stiffness of joints.... a little too late for me! (it sould say this on the medicine leaflet now also)

As for accutane please be very careful before you make a decision to go on a course of this ... especially if you are male (which I'm assuming you are considering you interest in girls but each to their own! ). I've heard of some really out there side effects of this - you have to have a full consultation to see if you're mentally/emotionally "stable" before entering this course. Many people, especially guys slump into depression while on this (for whatever reason?). ... although you could say that having acne is reason enough for depression so if you think it's for you then go for it ..

I'm sure there are plenty of people with different stories who will tell you different things, at the end of the day it'll be up to you to go with whatever suits you best.

Either way - weigh up the options and see how it goes - 2/3 months will fly by and you'll see the results of the Minocycline in time for summer vacation! The chicks'll love ya! Best of Luck!

Old 03-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
(female)

angelic12 HB User

I also was taking minocline and I stared getting cramps and really stiff in my legs upper and lower since this was the only thing that was different I quit taking the minocycline. At least now I know that there are other people that had the same problem What are you taking for your acne now. Mine is still there and I have tried several topiccal ointments. Does anyone know of any remedies. thanks.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
(female)

stardusted1 HB User

i was on doxycycline (is that similar?)

either way, I HATED it.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #6

rocknroll1234 HB User

I was on Mino and Erythromycin for over a year. Got an initial bad breakout with both after the first week. Both worked good for a few months but then It started to take forever for acne, cuts etc. to heal. Yes I was getting less pimples but existing ones (red marks) were visible for weeks. My face felt dead and I was on a strict diet and lost to much weight.

So I slowly backed off my dosage untill i stopped and started to find different ways of treating my acne. I had used tons of different cleansers etc.

Now I use Cetaphil face wash, drink green tea twice a day (Tazo ENVY organic green tea) and take one 50mg Zinc tablet at around 6pm and a multi vitamin before I go to bed.

This had done wonders for my acne. I don't have to be under a strict diet anymore either.

Closed Thread