It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User
Unhappy Acne and Dry Skin.. help please

I have Acne which Im using Ovace for in the day and Retin A at night, and my pimples seem to be clearing up, however my face is so dry and flaky I cant stand it and makeup is totally out of the question because of this, I mean as soon as I get my flakes off my face and mosturizer on its back again, water makes it feel like my skin is going to crack.. Im going to meet my future inlaws for the first time next week, and I wanted to know if anyone knows of a good mosturizer that helps this problem without causing excess oils.. I currently use Cetaphil... Any info is appreciated.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

tracy0021 HB User
Re: Acne and Dry Skin.. help please

for some reason cetaphil doesnt react well with certain people. for acne prone skin (thats me) and i think i have tried every mousturizer out there, curel ultra healing lotion is the only thing that has been truly awesome for me! it sounds like you have the same problem that i did, and when your skin is that dry it actually causes your face to break out more. im sure you have heard to never use a scrub on your face when your skin is that dry, and thats very true. however, you need to rid your face of the flakes to rid yourself of the acne. so i finally found the perfect solution to my problem(thank god!) i have been using loreal microdermabrasion scrub(but not the mousturizer that comes with it)and it leaves your face so smooth and soft and does not dry your face out in no way because it is not a cleanser. it just removes the dead built up skin from your face! there are other threads on this board about this product that you should go back and read, it really is some good stuff and i am so happy that i found it. i was scared at first to try it too, because i have had so many bad experiences with other products, but you really should try this because it sounds exactly what you need. good luck! oh almost forgot, i use this am and pm after i wash my face, then apply differin at night, and mousturizer am and pm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

The product (found in local drugstores in the red boxes) called AHA Enhanced Creme, by Alpha Hydrox is GREAT for acne AND dry skin. It totally calms the skin when you get flare up and also soothes it when it gets dry. I even use it on my hands when they're dry and cracked - its an AMAZING product.

I also use Purpose for everyday moisture - I love that too.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
(female)

teejai2000 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Acne and Dry Skin.. help please

I work for a cosmetic surgeon-the best thing out there for moderate to severe acne is a procedure called Photodynamic Terapy or Blu-U Light therapy.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

Thanks for all the info I will try anything once at this point..

Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
(female)

somersault HB User

I have acne/dry skin too. My dry skin is what caused the acne. And guess what caused the dry skin? Skin products. Every single kind. You name it. Face washes and moisturizers and astringents and soap. For 10 years I didn't realize that my skin is too sensitive to use anything on it, including washing my face. My skin is basically allergic to everything. You should make sure that you don't have the same problem so you won't have to go through ten years of suffering like I have. Now since last summer I don't wash my face (just splash on cool water) and here lately I've been using jojoba oil and Vitamin E oil in a 4 to 1 ratio mixed in an amber bottle with a dropper. I've been seeing improvements in my skin. I have to completely heal the dry skin. Then the acne will go away. I'm almost positive this is going to be my ultimate cure with the results I've seen in the last few weeks. And never again will I wash my face or apply moisturizer.

Make sure you don't have a sensitivity to all skin products like me. Cause if you do and your skin is drying out then that is what is giving you acne in the first place.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
(female)

picksie HB User

And how do you tell if this is your problem - discontinue everything you currently use or can a Dr tell you this?

Old 03-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
(female)

Beatrix HB User

Hi Denise98,
Ever tried aloe vera gel ? It works miracles for dry skin. As for your acne, have you tried some homemade remedies? Most people think it's time -consuming, and they maybe are, but they worked for me.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:24 PM   #9

Kelly1212 HB User

I'm worried that my dry,sensitive skin could be causing more spots.I've had dry skin since roaccutane.The thing is that i don't know how i could not use products on my face as i need to wear make-up and so i obviously need to wash it off

Old 03-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Stay away from aloe. Use jojoba oil - it will get rid of the flakes and give your skin the moisture it needs without clogging pores.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

Try a scrub and jojoba oil.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #12
(female)

member86 HB User

I have really dry skin and acne and I have used a really good product called Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. It's really cheap (less than 2 bucks at the wall mart) because it's used for cows udder parts! A dermatologist recommended it to my boyfriend. It works really fast too.

Last edited by member86; 03-14-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
(female)

somersault HB User
Wink Re: Acne and Dry Skin.. help please

In reply to Picksie's question:

How do you know if you are sensitive to cleansers and moisturizers?

The way I knew was immediately after you wash your face it becomes tight, feels like all the moisture has sucked out, becomes inflamed and you begin breaking out worse in acne. If your face is constantly dry and flaking washing it will only make it worse, causing the skin to produce more oil to compensate ,thereby giving you more acne.

Once you stop washing you will continue to break out badly. Your skin has become used to using the harsh products and suddenly it is denied that. It's kind of like your skin freaks out for a while, not knowing what is going on. Wait 2-3 months. If you start seeing more improvements than you ever did while washing and moisturizing then you know that's been the culprit all along.

I however, improved, but then basically stopped improving. Not getting any worse of course, but not getting any better. That is because I'm trying to heal 10 years worth of damage. Once I unclog the dry dead skin from my pores and heal all the flakiness, the acne will heal too. Using the mixture of jojoba oil and vitamin E oil is definitely helping me. But I've got a long way to go. The blackheads are rising to the surface as acne, very slowly, but that's the only way to get rid of them. The acne that was already there as actual acne (pimples,not blackheads) is healing. My scars are slowly disappearing too. My skin is smoothing out. Little tidbits of skin are no longer flaking. The rest of my skin is majorly flaking like it always has, but I've only been using the jojoba oil/vitamin E oil for a week and a half. I was using just jojoba oil alone for six weeks or so. Saw some improvements. Soon as I switched to the combination of jojoba oil with Vitamin E oil I've seen immediate improvements. I use them in a 4 to 1 ratio mixed in an amber bottle with a dropper. I hope this helps for anyone who thinks their skin products are the culprit and wish to cure their dry skin/acne.

Someone else said on this board that they couldn't stop washing because they wear makeup. It is true I don't wear makeup. I haven't been able to in years because it really showed up the flaking on my face. Also I believe I am just as allergic to makeup as I am to soap, cleansers, and moisturizers.

For anyone who wants to try the jojoba oil/vitamin E cure I suggest to stop wearing makeup. It will probably only hinder you from the results. I know, easier said than done, right? But at least it will give your skin a rest and stop clogging up your pores. I would at least stop wearing the foundation and powder. Eye shadow, mascara, and lipstick should be fine.

In my case, I actually look better without makeup. That's how bad my skin is flaking wise. But at least now I don't have an oily T-zone. The jojoba oil/vitamin E oil has cured me of that.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

I know exactly what everyone is talking about with the flakiness so bad that you cant wear makeup and I too actually look better without it I mean I want to wear it like the rest of the women population out there and I hate to go out because I feel I can never look as good as everyone else because my skin suck so bad.. I just hope my face will finally calm down for once in my life Im tired of fighting with it.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #15
(female)

Jeanster HB User

To Somersault,

What do you mean by mixing jojobo oil and vitamin E in a 4 to 1 ratio? What does a 4 to 1 ratio mean. Does it mean 4 drops jojobo and 1 drop vitamin E or do you mix it with water? I too have dry skin that is flaky but have mild acne as well. When I wash my face it is red and inflamed and looks horrible? any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jeanster

Closed Thread