It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
(male)

UK_dave HB User
How long for the effects of antibiotics to wear away???

Hey
How long does it usually take for the effects of an antibiotic such as minocin to leave the body?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: How long for the effects of antibiotics to wear away???

Well it depends on the person, the strength of antibiotic used, the length of time the medication was taken for and several other factors.

Moreover, what do you mean by "effects of antibiotics"? Are you referring to the depletion of 'good bacteria' and increase in presence of 'bad bacteria', the increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight or hyperpigmentations resulting from the antibiotic?

I would definitely recommend you take a high-quality probiotic supplement containing at least 4 billion strains of the bifidobacteria group (preferably Lactobacillus Acidophilus) once/twice a day for at least two months. You will definitely see benefits from doing this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
(male)

UK_dave HB User

Hey. Cheers for that.
Well, i just mean the general effects of an antibiotic. I mean, how long before all traces are removed the body. I took it for about 7 months.

Also, probiotics are very controversial. Who recommended them to you? Because the industry is not regulated and a lot of the products to not do what they claim to do. Also, just out of interest can you get dairy free probiotics, because i try to avoid dairy?

Last edited by UK_dave; 03-22-2005 at 07:21 AM.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

Hi Dave, the idea I was trying to get across in my post regarding how long it takes for the effects of antibiotics to leave the system is that there are far too many variables to give you a pretty precise time period. But your body would probably have rebuilt itself within six months to a year since stopping the medication.

During my teenage years I took several courses of antibiotics for brief periods of time (2-3months) and I am only now, in my early 20's, experiencing proper functioning of my body.

Antibiotics are debilitating medications if taken for a long period. Seven months is quite an extensive period to be on them so if you are considering helping your body rebuild it's good bacteria flora I would suggest eating a healthy balanced diet of fruit, veg, seeds, nuts, organic meat and fish combined with lots of water, probiotics and exercise.

After a long course of antibiotics, your intestinal flora will contain predominantly bad bacteria. This will only be turned around quickly if you create the right environment (i.e. following the above points). If, however, you eat junk food, food high in saturated fats and sugar and drink sodas then you are creating a mucous forming environment perfect for the bad bacteria to flourish. So diet is very important.

Yes probiotics are a controversial topic but only because such a big market for them is beginning to generate. It is controversial due to the fact that there are so many varying qualities of probiotics. If you believe what the advertisers want you to believe then eating yoghurt will remove all bad bacteria and enable the good bacteria to grow. But yoghurt contains only minute traces of active probiotics so you would probably need to eat yoghurt (that contains good bacteria strains not just any old yoghurt) everyday for 20 years to gain even the slightest benefit.

The topic is about as controversial as whether or not vitamins/mineral supplements work. In my opinion, they do work if you select the correct ones that are high-quality, stored correctly (in the fridge) and you take the right doses at the right times.

You will get differing opinions on whether probiotics work or not depending on who you ask. If you ask a nutrition expert I'm sure they will say the exact same thing as me i.e. the work if you purchase the right ones. However, if you ask a dermatologist, you will probably get a washy answer saying well it's not entirely known whether they work or not. The reason being that the majority of medications that derms prescribe is antibiotic-related and solely backed by the drug companies. The dispute is between the power of the pharmaceutical/drug companies (e.g. Roche) and the vitamin/supplement companies (e.g. Solgar).

All I can say is you won't know whether or not probiotics work for you unless you try them. At least you will have nothing to lose as there are no side-effects associated with them. And after doing a lot of reading on the topic and speaking to several nutrionists, I am glad have taken probiotics.

And definitely you can get dairy-free probiotics, just like you can take vitamin C supplements without having to eat oranges. By taking a probiotic supplement all you are doing is digesting 'live good bacteria strains'.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
(male)

UK_dave HB User

A year to recover proper body function!!!!!!!!!!! You have got to be kidding?
So why after stopping the antibiotics is a relapse very common within a matter of weeks, if not days?? The relapse surely suggests the antibiotic effects are wearing (if not weared) off?
This is immensely alarming! A year to recover proper body function? Are you sure? Where did you hear of this?

Old 03-23-2005, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran

Neca HB User

When I say 'proper' body function I mean it's optimum function or the manner in which my body should be. For someone who has finished a prolonged course of antibiotics, it can take between six months to a year to get rid of ALL the side-effects: bad bacteria, stomach cramps, poor digestion, skin's suseptibility to sunlight, chances of hyperpigmentation, fatigue, headaches/nausea and especially a surpressed immune system.

Antibiotics are extremely potent medications and it is definitely wise to read about them on the net. There is so much information out there detailing why antibiotics should not be used to control acne and should only be used in emergencies.

Last edited by Neca; 03-23-2005 at 07:08 AM.

Closed Thread