It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
(male)

beatboxkid HB User
Thumbs down why bother washing. makes acne worse

I am gonna give up this washing twice a day lark, all soap does is strip you're skin of sebum oil, and then you're skin reacts to this by reproduceing a stupid amount of sebum oil which makes you're skin burst out into more spots

When ever I have come back from music festivals, and have not washed for about 4 days, my skin is usually clear. I think from now on I might only wash/shower about twice a week. I mean how dirty does the avrage human get anyhows in a few days. Unles you're a mechanic or somthing that involves getting coverd in dirt.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
(male)

Pilky HB User
Re: why bother washing. makes acne worse

The facewash you are using is probably to harsh.

Try something like Cetaphil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 03:28 AM   #3
(male)

Dave (UK) HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboxkid
I am gonna give up this washing twice a day lark, all soap does is strip you're skin of sebum oil, and then you're skin reacts to this by reproduceing a stupid amount of sebum oil which makes you're skin burst out into more spots

When ever I have come back from music festivals, and have not washed for about 4 days, my skin is usually clear. I think from now on I might only wash/shower about twice a week. I mean how dirty does the avrage human get anyhows in a few days. Unles you're a mechanic or somthing that involves getting coverd in dirt.

I was thinking the exact same thing myself. Washing the face twice daily is surely a uniquely western ritual. I would think those lesser developed countries, (im thinking about indigenous tribes) would wash ther faces once a day max.

It does seem bizzare when you stop and think about it.
We was are faces which rmakes them dry.
We put synthetic moisturisers on to compensate for the dryness when the body is more than capable of producing moisture of its own.
And then when the body produces its moisture, we wash it all off again.

I mean, what exactly are we washing off??
bacteria?... well, people with clear skin have the same no. of bacteria on their faces as do people with acne. FACT.
so surely this advice we all read about washing twice daily is just complete nonsense.

Last edited by Dave (UK); 03-31-2005 at 03:30 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 AM   #4
(male)

Pilky HB User

My general rule of thumb is:

I never wash my face, unless i am in the shower. That means no washing my face at the sink. I usually only take one shower a day so therefore i really only wash my face once a day.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
(male)

Dave (UK) HB User

ok, but do you have clear skin?

Old 03-31-2005, 04:12 AM   #6
(male)

beatboxkid HB User

I find washing my skin every otherday can keep it fairly clear. I started washing my face once/to twice a day and it's caused me to break out in acne. So now I am going to try washing/showering once every two days. I won't use skin cleansers or mouistriser either ( which I think can make acne worse personally ) I will use a little mouistriser after I have washed /showerd. And I might even splash a little cold water in my face to refresh my skin In between the days I dont have a proper wash/shower. I say wsh/shower because I only ever wash my face in the shower anyhows.

Any hows if this skin routine does work for me I will let you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bye for now

Old 03-31-2005, 04:23 AM   #7
(male)

Pilky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave (UK)
ok, but do you have clear skin?

My skin is MUCH better then it ever has been, but i have also changed my diet, and i just started Duac. But before i started Duac, i changed my diet and that has helped alot. I still get a pimple here and there but nothing like i did before. The Duac is defintly helping out alot, all i really have now is a few red marks.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:26 AM   #8
(male)

beatboxkid HB User

I am not sure if you got this reply? My skin is a lot clearer when I only wash once every other day. I have started to wash once/to twice a day and it has made me break out in acne. SO I am going to try washing/showering once ever two days. I will not use skin cleansers or mouistrisers either which can make acne worse in my opinion. I will splash cold water on my face and neck in between the days when I dont have a proper wash/shower. and apply a lot of mouistriser to my face and neck after I have showerd, wait for my face to absorb it all then wash my face/neck with a little cold water. regards beatboxkid

Old 03-31-2005, 07:26 AM   #9

SpoiledCutie258 HB User

What soap do you use to wash your face? Thier are many soaps that can make your face worse because the contain certain things. My docter gave me a name of a soap that I use to use that helped my face but I do not remeber what it is called

Old 03-31-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
(male)

Healthy.J HB User

Not all cleansers strip your skin of all moisture. Try using Neutrogena Extra Gentle cleanser. Its the best cleanser I have found. It never makes my skin dry. It just cleans the excess oil on the surface, but it does not strip you of oil deep in the skin. It has a slight moisturizing effect too. It also washes off good. I don't suggest not using any cleansers. I tried that plenty of times and the results were bad for me. This cleanser is what you're looking for.

Last edited by Healthy.J; 03-31-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I went soap-free for 6 months - only washing with water once a day, and it made no difference. Maybe even the water washing needs to be spaced out, or maybe washing neither helps nor hurts for some people.

But what about removing makeup, for women who use it?

Old 03-31-2005, 08:50 AM   #12
(female)

sadielee HB User

I used Trisan a type of cleansing soap for people with acne it worked alot. Once My face cleared up I started wearing makeup and i found that the trisan was hard to get the makeup off. Then i heard from someone i know that baby wipes are the best for taking off make up and for acne. I have been using them for 2 years now and no breakouts just remember to get the ones that are scent free
hope this helps people out
Sadie

Old 03-31-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
(female)

Simps23 HB User

I wouldn't say that I wash my face on a regular basis, and when I'm in the shower, I just run water over it. I've had problems with my [facial] skin before (but never really severe), and when I stopped washing it so much, it really helped. I think in this respect everyone has different results. If you're already broken out, then it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:52 PM   #14
Inactive

matterson HB User

but what happens when i was at 9 in the morning and by 4, my skin face is oily...? what do i do then?

Old 04-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #15
(male)

beatboxkid HB User

hi, If you wanted you could just wash you're face with cold water. or if it is really oily, you could use a sensitive cleanser/cotton wool ( johnsons baby lotion is cheap, and sensitive to you're skin ) and then splash plenty of cold water in you're face to refresh/clean it.

regards beatboxkid

Closed Thread