It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Post jojoba and misery

so i've begun my 3rd week of jojoba, and added a little Burt's Bees which i like so far... it seems though that my skin is a WRECK. My cheeks are ok, actually clearing decently, and so is the skin around my jawline and ears, which can break out sometimes. But the CYSTIC stuff is so completely outta control. All around my mouth and chin, anywhere i'd previously had a cyst it seems i have an active one now. And my forehead, which used to be the one part of my face i could count on to stay pretty clear has erupted with millions of little red comedones.
I posted on the Skin board, and Marti, the resident jojoba expert there advised that this was just the jojoba bringing everything to the surface and clearing the gunk out. Has anybody else using jojoba had this experience? Your replies are greatly appreciated... my self confidence, not to mention self esteem have bottomed out, and if i can be reassured that this is just the darkness before the light so to speak, i'll carry on with jojoba. Otherwise, i'm calling a dermatologist STAT, and caving in to all the crap that didn't work for me 10 years ago.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I'm well into week 2 of jojoba, and I was originally very skeptical since my oil increased tremendously. I also tried the evening primrose (Burt's Bees) and THAT definitely broke me out. I only used it on certain areas and those were the breakout ones, so I discontinued it and saw immediate improvement.

I have not experienced any of that surfacing phenomena. I have found that products that do that to me are ones that never do work. It never gets any better. I have found that my pores are shrinking and my overall skin tone has greatly improved. I think it is doing its job for me, despite having to trade off the increased oil problem. I'm combatting that with the introduction of B5 and Ketsugo once that comes in the mail. My second day of B5 has shown a decrease in oil, finally, and I'm not sure if my skin is just finally adjusting to the jojoba or if the B5 worked that fast (doubt that).

Sorry I can't be of more help with your problem, except to share my own experiences. Despite what everyone says here, in my own case, initial breakouts that last over a couple of weeks are a poor indicator of future progress. Guess that's just me. I've persisted with some pretty depressing treatments and never saw improvement unless I saw some positive results early on, even if they were mixed. Things just continued to get worse and worse (Retin-A is a good case in point).

I use BP over my jojoba and maybe that is what's keeping my skin in check. I wouldn't trust it without the BP--too much oil and not enough defense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2003, 08:19 AM   #3
(male)

Ric HB User
hey,

i did use jojoba oil for roughly 3 weeks and for the first week things were all good. i think the main problem with jojoba oil is it does bring the acne to the surface which you can see as a blessing but it's damn hard to cope with and i'm not sure if it's actually helping things. i started using proactiv for the first time last wednesday and my skin is very clear to the point where i only have two spots on my face. i don't want to curse things so i'm gonna see what happens but it's looking good at the moment. ultimately i don't know whether to advise you to use this or not. i never felt comfortable leaving it on all day, you feel like your skin is greasy even if it doesn't feel it (if that makes sense!) at the moment the best thing that is working for me is proactiv. i just use the cleanser and toner and it's all good. i do think it costs a lot of money for the little bottles they give you plus cause i live in the uk i didn't realise you have to pay for custom charges!

later

Old 04-23-2003, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
wow, speedy responses, thanks guys!

Yes poreoilyme, Retin-A is bad, bad news. i went 3 rounds w/that, even though i begged the derm to try something else. She kept reassuring me it would be different, it was milder, yadda, yadda... and then i would have the most massively bad acne for like 6 weeks. When the new acne began to clear, i'd just be glad for the improvment, in short, grateful to only be as bad as i had been when i started. Retin-A is straight from the devil as far as i'm concerned.

Yuck.
i hate this.
i don't feel greasy...jojoba is a good moisturizer, but this purging the pores is really depressing stuff.

i am going to resort temporarily to BP, and then if i clear, see if i can drop the BP from the regimen.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Ditto on the R-A devil stuff!

Old 04-24-2003, 07:23 PM   #6

mjurick HB User
Hey Sedulous,

I tried Jojoba oil and got the EXACT same reaction!
I've been using it for 3 weeks and the first week and a half was great (skin had smooth tone, looked great) then about 4 days ago, my cheeks just erupted with roughly 25 tiny little red dots (you call them comedones) on each side of the face. They are not big and do not hurt, but they seem to take a long time to go away and appear to increase in number each day!
Should I continue to use the jojoba oil to work thru this issue? tonight is the first night that I'm actually taking a break from the jojoba oil. I just washed my face with cetaphil gentle moisturising clensing bar, and hope some of the red dots will start to dissapear.

Please keep me informed of your case - and I ask others on this board for advice if they've experienced this same case. Thanks!

-MJ

Old 04-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #7

iluvrootbeer HB User
hey,
ive been using it for a little more than 3 months....for my chest back and face. all three of those areas werent the worst case senerios but they were bad enough to make me look for a different method of keeping this gay skin disorder in control. well,...i can see that its bringing all the hardened sebum out and sometimes it still gets clogged and turns into a pimple or cyst so i picked alot of the clogged pores. right now, i cant quite make myself go through with any more on my face, but i'll keep up with it on my back and chest. i got lots of little clogged pores and little bumps on my cheeks and i think if i stay with it, it'll all get better way later but i dont wanna risk it on my face right now. my back and chest got worse and better, it fluctuates for me, but its definately not clear yet, i can see that it really helps with scaring if u use it for as long as i did and i still have hope (that just sounds so pathetic) but i'll keep up with it and keep ya'll posted. much luv

Old 04-27-2003, 08:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I'm just starting to see the either purging effect or clogged pore effect from jojoba. My face is erupting in small white and red bumps. I wish I could be sure if this is the pore clogging effect or the purge. I know I've seen this before and at that time it was clogged pores--too much foundation use, and the wrong kind. Since I stopped using foundation all the time, this went away--until now since I'm at the end of 2 weeks using jojoba. Now my skin is not only far oiler, but bumpy also.

I need to see my regular physician next week for a poison oak rash, so I'm going to see if he can prescribe Tazorac for me instead. I just can't stand to see my face broken out AND oily like this. I know in the past, when this has occurred, it never did get better, only worse--and I'm talking waiting it out for up to a year with no improvement.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my regular doctor will prescribe the Tazorac. He's pretty good about helping me when I come in informed about something and his own research backs it up. I don't want to go to my dermatologist anymore as he has not helped me at all, just like all the others. My regular doctor is far more helpful and concerned. Anyone else notice this with their doctors?

PS--I went to a theatre I frequently visit tonight, and the decline in my skin really showed up in their mirror!

[This message has been edited by poreoilyme (edited 04-27-2003).]

Old 04-28-2003, 08:36 AM   #9

tariel HB User
Please don't use Evening Primrose if you have oily skin. My GP was just telling me that it would contribute to further oiliness, although it's supposed to be good for the skin. But it's only beneficial for menopausal complexion, because their skin would be much drier due to the menopause.

Old 04-28-2003, 03:00 PM   #10

tigercat23 HB User
Talking

Hi,I just posted a couple weeks ago or so on the skin board and was asking marti or anyone about the breakouts and little bumps showing up.I was freaking out because my acne has been under control for awhile and all of a sudden I started breaking out.I've now been on jojoba oil for over a year or so and now I can say that my face is preety good ,actually better than before.It took a couple weeks but is was worth it.I'm happy I stuck with it.But like everyone was saying everyone is different but I just wanted to share my story with it.
This is what I use to keep acne under control

Spectro jel cleanser
witch hazel(alcohol free)with aloe,rose water
jojoba oil
Mint julip mask
Jane Iredale pur minerals makeup(just bought it and love it)expensive though and set it by spraying with organic rose water
Diane 35(BC)(5 years)

I want to thank everyone I've been visiting this board for over a year and its really helped.(I'm not a newbie I forgot my password and name so I made a new one.

Thanks
D

Old 04-29-2003, 02:18 AM   #11

Moonique HB User
i've been on diane 35 for years now
i will never stop using it
got my skin somewhat clear
now i use jojoba
for the sebum
i have that thick yukky sebum on my face
the jojoba is great, no breakouts
and you don't have to use a lot of it.

Old 04-30-2003, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Update: This is my 4th(?) week w/jojoba. Everything is clearing slowly and gently, but the cysts. My skin, aside from the cysts of course, feels great, and when little bumps come, they also go pretty quickly.. The cystic stuff is still making me crazy. In fact, i called out of work yesterday b/c of my face. Pathetic, especially at age 26.
Like poreoilyme, i wish i knew for sure if this cystic mania is the jojoba just breaking up those deep down sebum plugs or what. i have 2 active cysts right now, one at the surface, and the rest are healed or on their way out, but talk about red marks! Nowadays walking down the street, i keep my head down. In spite of acne, i never used to be that way, i'm healthy and i workout, and generally walk w/some confidence, but not anymore. My red marks used to be fairly camouflaged by a layer of powder, but i can see now that i'll need to invest in some concealer. Doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be much out there to fade red marks, save patience and time.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I haven't experienced any further breakouts with the jojoba, so I'm continuing it despite the oil increase. I like the overall skin tone I have now and I'm hoping Taz will help with the oil problem. When our hot and humid weather hits, it's going to be a BIG problem though so I'm trying to prepare for the worst.

Old 04-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
so ya think it purged ya?
i know i keep saying it, but if this is just a purge, that'll GO AWAY then fine, i'll tough it out (not much choice anyway at this stage of the game). In fact , i really hope it's the purge, because then things'll be on the up and up. If it's not, then i'm really f***ed, cos i have no idear what's causing it!

Old 04-30-2003, 11:31 AM   #15
(female)

dancingSonali HB User
i'm in the same boat with red marks and cysts

Closed Thread