It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

Clean9 HB User
a good moisturizer?

does anyone know of a reliable moisturizer? i had a semi-good experience with oil of olay oil-free for a while but i recently splurged and bought lancome aqua fusion oil-free with spf15. at first, i thought it was a miracle product, i never saw anything moisturize so well without causing excess oil. but now, 3 weeks later, my skin is horrible! i haven't had a bad breakout (i've also been on retin-a and bc for 6 years) in 4 years or so and now i feel like i'm back in high school. i have lots of noticeable red spots and tiny acne all over my face and its lasted for 2 and a half weeks. i'm going to stop using it for a while and see what happens. has anyone else spent lots of money on department store brand products to no avail?

i just want a good moisturizer!

Last edited by Clean9; 04-18-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
(female)

Laurie_Dhue HB User
Re: a good moisturizer?

I would stick with the Olay moisturizers.
I'm using the Olay Complete UV Defense Moisture Lotion for sensitive Skin. It has Aloe, Vitamin E, SPF 15 and Zinc Oxide. Its Non- Comedogenic.
It makes my face feel so smooooooooth.

Last edited by Laurie_Dhue; 04-18-2005 at 11:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

hairy_gurl HB User

I hear the clinique dramatically different mosturiser is good... but Ill get back to you when Ive tried it out...

Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
(male)

Healthy.J HB User

If you plan on using anything with Aloe Vera Gel, be cautious. Aloe Vera gel products are one of my skin's number one pore cloggers. The term non-comedogenic is misleading in some cases. Most of the time it is true when a product say its non-comedogenic, but depending on the person and your skin type it may still break you out. My best advice is to try Jojoba oil. I switch back and forth trying to find the right moisturizers and I always come back to jojoba. It is non-comedogenic, and unlike most moisturizers that is evident the first time you use it. It absorbs quickly instead of sitting on the surface and clogging pores. It brings pimples to the surface so you may notice an initial breakout, because it helps unclog pores. However, Jojoba is not an efficient acne product, meaning that it does not directly attack the acne. I am now mixing it with some Tea Tree oil (anti-bacterial) for my acne. The scent of the Tea tree is not too bad when mixed the Jojoba and once you put it on your face the smell goes away after a while (maybe an hour).

Old 04-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #5

caedmyn HB User

I would also recommend jojoba oil. It actually mimics the oil that your skin naturally produces, and tricks your skin into producing less oil, so your skin will be less oily as well as better moisturized. I used to use Cetaphil lotion as a moisturizer, and it worked pretty well and never caused me to break out. I still use it on my back as the jojoba oil doesn't seem to be strong enough there. I recently went on vacation for a few days and started using the Cetaphil on my face because I didn't want to bring the jojoba oil, and I noticed a HUGE difference in how my face looked. It was fairly red and very oily. As soon as I switched back to jojoba, the redness and oily skin went away. You can get jojoba oil on the internet or at natural/health food stores.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
(female)

malia81 HB User

carley's natural moisturizer. it smells yummy and has all natural ingredients. my face doesn't absorb moisturizers well but this sinks in in a matter of minutes and my face feels so soft and smooth.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn
I would also recommend jojoba oil. It actually mimics the oil that your skin naturally produces...
People keep saying that, but it doesn't seem to work that way for me. It seems to work just like mineral oil.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:28 AM   #8
(female)

hairy_gurl HB User

Do you just use pure jojoba oil, or is it ok to use a lotion that has jojoba oil in it (ie nivea visage light daily moisturising cream)? And if you just use it pure, how much to do you use?

It sounds very interesting...

Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 AM   #9
(male)

Healthy.J HB User

Crossbow, what do you mean when you say it is just like mineral oil for you? Do you mean it breaks you out, or that it makes your skin oily? If you feel it breaks you out, it may just be that it is not doing anything for your acne, which may allow the acne to get worse. So the Jojoba is probably not breaking you out directly. Also, if you find that it makes your skin oily maybe your using too much. You should only use 2 to 3 drops and then put it on your skin, depending on how oily your skin is. As far as Jojoba mimicking your own sebum, I don't know if I believe that. It is very similar to sebum molecularly, but it does not seem to stop my oil from surfacing. It can just mix with your sebum without clogging pores. Depending on your skin type Jojoba can even out skin sebum or just not be as greasy and thick as most moisturizers, and therefore not clog pores.

hairy_gurl, I use pure Jojoba oil from the Vitamin Shoppe. I think the vitamin shoppe is the easiest place to find it, and they sell other brands of it, like Desert Essence. As I said, you should only use 2 or 3 drops, depending on how much oil your skin produces.

Last edited by Healthy.J; 04-20-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #10

caedmyn HB User

You could try a lotion that has jojoba oil in it--I just use pure jojoba oil. Mine came in a 4 oz bottle. I press the palm of my hand against the top of the bottle and tip it upside down and then right side up again and that amount is just right for my entire face. It basically forms a circle about the size of a nickel in my palm (not sure how many drops it would equal). It should all rub in and your face shouldn't have an oily sheen anywhere after you apply it. I think it actually makes me look like I'm wearing foundation, because my skin looks matte and not oily.

Let us know how it works for you if you try it

Old 04-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #11
(female)

iridescentsea HB User

I blend jojoba oil, safflower oil, and vitamin E oil. About only 10% of my blend is safflower+vitamin E oil and 90% is jojoba oil. It makes a fantastic moisturizer. Finally, my skin no longer has that tight feeling after shower. It absorbs fast without feeling and looking oily but couple of drops suffices for my entire face.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
(female)

hairy_gurl HB User

Ill try and go to the health food store tomorrow and see if they have it there... but its very small, so I might have to wait until I go to the nearby city - or perhaps I can order it online.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #13

caedmyn HB User

It will definitely be cheaper online

Old 04-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

My HG moisturizer is camellia oil - Silkia brand. My skin sometimes got very flaky in the winter months and jojoba oil is not enough for me. I like camellia oil especially because I've noticed that it's helping my acne scar indents.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
(female)

Clean9 HB User

thank you, i'll definitely get around to buying the jojoba oil...i just have to wait for my next paycheck, haha. oh, the wonders of being a college student.

Closed Thread