It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
(male)

Influence HB User
Shea Butter and African Black Soap

Has anyone heard of this or tried it? If you've tried it, has it worked for you?

Old 04-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
(male)

Healthy.J HB User
Re: Shea Butter and African Black Soap

Hell no! The black SOAP left a residue and broke me out bad. I have never used shea butter, but I have heard that itís a pore clogger, because it's so thick. Most derms say you should not use soap if you have acne. It's best to use a soap free cleanser. Some have said that black soap worked ok for them, but everyone is different, and it definitely did not work at all for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
(female)

picksie HB User

Shea butter is not a soap though.... it's a moisturizer.

I can't comment on the black soap. As for SB results, I think it's going to vary from person to person but the majority of people I've seen post here have had great results from it. I just actually ordered some pure, unrefined free trade whipped Shea Butter (I didn't want the big block, it looked harder to apply). Stay away from lotions or other things that contain it because they may also contain things that WILL clog your pores. I figure this: if centuries of african women have been using it, there's a reason.

I have oily tzone and very dry, flakey skin everywhere else so I think it will help me but we'll see!

Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

Influence,

I have used the African black soap. I really liked it!! I used it during the colder months b/c my skin tends to get a little dry (I still break out though), and this soap didn't dry my skin out. Just like anything topical, people are going to have different reactions to it. It worked for me. If you do decide to get some, make sure it's the real deal. Don't get the kind you buy in the beauty supply store. That is not the real stuff!! I did a search on the one I got. I searched under "Free trade African black soap". It is dark in color but not completely black and looks like a "hunk" or "chunk" of something. Sorry, that's the only way I know how to describe it. I haven't tried shea butter. I'm happy with jojoba oil. HTH!!

Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
(male)

Influence HB User

What does jojoba oil do?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

It "mimicks" or "tricks" the oil that your skin produces, and therefore, (from what I have read), it keeps your skin from producing too much oil. Something like that. Anyway, I've been using it for over 9 months as a moisturizer, and I've had no side effects from it. I believe there are several threads on here about it or do a search. I'm sorry I can't be more precise on how it works, but what I described above is what I recall reading here in this forum.

Last edited by PBABY; 04-20-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

I found it. I'm very stupid on posting links, but try this one. Anibanani recommends it. It's called Tamanu Oil.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=245504[/url]

Try that. If it won't work, it's the thread titled "Update on Tamanu Oil". Page 17

FYI-she has other threads here about the Tamanu Oil.

Last edited by PBABY; 04-20-2005 at 12:15 PM.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

You can get Shea butter at bath and body works by the way. I use it on my strechmarks (am pregnant) It comes in a big blue tube and smells and feels great.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
(female)

finallyfreealmost! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksie
Shea butter is not a soap though.... it's a moisturizer.

I figure this: if centuries of african women have been using it, there's a reason.
I always worry when I see comments like the above about centuries of use! I spend a lot of time in West Africa, and I have NEVER come across an African woman who puts pure undiluted shea butter on their face! Traditionally in Africa, shea butter is used to soften and control hair prior to braiding.

For skin use it is sometimes used mixed with schnapps (alcohol) to control itching in chicken pox and help fresh scars to heal, and the soap made from shea butter which by the way ranges from a light brown to cream to black colour, is used to bathe and wash. Very often the soap is blended with camwood (a red herb) to exfoliate, honey to moisturise, or lemon to dry out and brighten the skin.

Most African (say in the villages) women with acne or not, would simply wash their face, perhaps with the shea butter soap, and then simply apply a light coating of native chalk, or baby powder depending on income. Thats it, no lotions or potions on face!! The chalk or powder probably gives some sun protection too. Even urban african women hardly moisturise their faces in the daytime, possibly only at night. I have asked so many clear skinned african women "what do you use?" and the answer if often "I wash my face and leave it alone".

Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
(female)

picksie HB User

I apologize if that was not an accurate statement, I read it on some website that was purported to be African....

Old 04-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #11

truthseeker HB User

A good diet will clear up your Acne quicker than any store bought creams/lotions/remedies. Try leaving those fast food joints alone for several months, junk food: chips, pop/soda, sugars, Pizza's. And start exercising, eating more fruits and vegetables, and that stuff will leave you.

Closed Thread