It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

rush-rulz HB User
Post Insurance and acne scars?

I'm just curious--how likely is it that one's health insurance will cover scar and redness treatments? Mine covered all my pills, ointments, and Accutane. It would seem very unfair if they then didn't cover the end product.

I could call and ask, I know, but I'm actually kind of paranoid about it, and as I haven't been to someone to see about treating it, I would only be able to guess at the specifics on the phone right now.

What does insurance cover, scar-wise, if anything?

Old 04-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #2
(male)

MachOneMustang HB User
Thumbs down

I went for an appointment at my dermatologist's today and we discussed micro-dermabrasion. Insurance does not cover this, and nothing we would make me think they cover any other from of scar removal.

I asked my dad about it and he said it's because it's not a necessary procedure. Neither is having acne treated in the first place I thought, but I think it's the way acne treatment & prevention is "listed" that enables it to be covered under insurance. That's my 2 cents.

- MachOneMustang -

[This message has been edited by MachOneMustang (edited 04-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2003, 08:30 PM   #3

OursFan HB User
I asked my dermatologist about it and he said that insurance doesn't cover surgery to repair scars from acne.
In general, I have heard that the procedure has to be "medically necessary", meaning that it's causing you a health problem. They feel that acne scar revision is "cosmetic". They don't include emotional/mental issues as being a reason for scar surgery from what I have read. It seems so unfair to me - I just don't understand it.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

rush-rulz HB User
This woman at a cosmetic surgeon's office just wrote back to say they can't do anything until I stop getting zits. I'm absolutely fuming. Last time I checked, some of these treatments _treat_ acne. HELLO? And it's not like the zits will ever end. Let's say I stop getting acne at 50, for pete's sake. Then I get the scars treated?! I get to look like a bloody freak for the next 25 years? I think she's mental. I KNOW she's mental. She wrote back saying something about my getting my boobs done, like I ever mentioned that? Forget that. I'm trying another tactic.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

rush-rulz HB User
Okay, sorry, I've calmed down. I'm kind of depressed now, but calmed down.

Anyway, I'm going to find me a derm in this area and see him--not for acne treatment, just for scar/redness advice. I just hope he doesn't tell me to get in touch with that woman again!

Old 04-04-2003, 02:00 PM   #6

21withacne HB User
Hi,
I go in for what they call acne surgery about twice a month (about $100 procedure) and my insurance covers it. Not sure about micro though- have not gotten there yet.

Old 04-04-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

rush-rulz HB User
What's "acne surgery" in this case?

By the by, anyone heard about the new thermal treatments? I think they're still in trial mode, but they seem to be working nicely. They can also use lasers to treat acne and have been getting remissions of 3-8 months in patients.

Old 05-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #8

nycgal HB User
I have had constant acne for 13 years and have had many surgeries (2 dermabrasions, laser surgery, etc)

Nobody ever told me they couldn't do anything as long as I had active acne.

Be careful though - most doctors (even highly reputable ones) tell us surgery helps. I have seen pictures in their offices of miracles but never had any improvement or met anyone who improved as a result of these surgeries either. Do a lot of research first.
Some of the new breakthroughs look promising but I'm holding backa bit. Have spent $15,000 + and still no improvement and my scars are not very deep either (just wide from cystic acne) I'm sure it was the result of derms injecting the cysts to reduce them. Wish I knew that back then. Would have put up with the cysts.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:27 AM   #9

U4IA HB User
I have had acne for 35 years. I have spent over $10,000 on treatments for scars and still am not happy with the results. For that much money I would have expected at least a 60-75% improvement. I may have gotten a 25 - 30% improvement, if that much. As I get older my scars seem to look worse and worse.

One of the reasons that I did not get very good results from dermabrasions is that I had cysts all underneath my skin. I didn't know they were there and neither did the doc until he started taking off the layers of skin. So be wary of doctors that will do a dermabrasion when you still have acne.

Closed Thread