It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
(male)

adam d HB User
Proactiv- if you stop, do you break out??

I've been reading up on this line of products and might give it a shot. However, from reading the posts, most people have severe break outs as soon as they stop. So is it just a gimmick to make money?

Also, as most people have seen results within the first month or so, is there any need to continue purchasing it?

I'm just wondering if there's any point to start it just for the 'quick fix' and endure the after-effects once you stop and by the sounds of it, once you start, you should never stop!

Last edited by adam d; 04-30-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
(female)

sweeterz12321 HB User
Re: Proactiv- if you stop, do you break out??

don't think of it like starting and never stopping. i'm a user myself. it's to help prevent future breakouts. as long as ur hormones are running thru ur body then the oils will build up and eventually cause a breakout. most ppl's stop at a certain age, but it does help. stick to the routine. it's not a waste at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Technically there's no real cure for acne, so I'd imagine you'd eventually break out after stopping any treatment. I think accutane is the closest they've came to curing it, but my mom tried it and it made her really weak and tired and she has burn spots on her face now

Old 05-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
(male)

adam d HB User

thanks guys

so basically, once i start, i should continue to use it which could be anywhere up to a year+ ..but then i will end up spending $100s..just what they want me to do

Old 05-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
(male)

OCTek HB User

Instead of spending lots of $ on Proactiv I would recomend that you try:

-a mild cleanser like cetaphil
-2%-10% benzoyl peroxide (10% will be more irritating, but won't work better)
-and a non comedogenic(sp?) moisturizer (won't clog pores)

in that order 1-2 times daily.
It's cheaper and that is basically all that proactiv is.

And yes with anything containing benzoyl peroxide (like Proactiv) you will need to keep using it.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #6
(male)

adam d HB User

thanks for that option mate

Old 05-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #7

dontbug HB User

i used proactiv for the 60 day trial and it helped stop acne, but never cleared up exhisting ones. so i stopped the trial at no cost to me, and now im using salicylic acid which is working great. after stopping use of proactive ive noticed my forehead which used to be pretty clear while using proactive has a few new pimples, but that maybe because of not using benzoyl peroxide anymore. also proactiv isnt just benzoyl peroxide...the toner contains a small percentage of glycolic acid which like salicylic acid helps to break up dead skin cells.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #8

kittikat HB User

yes, you will breakout.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:17 AM   #9
(female)

MzPrincessReina HB User

Proactive does work great for mild acne, if you have sort of anything worse than moderate or mild acne, then use medication from ur doctor plus proactive thats what I do and my acne is 99% gone I get break outs around that time of the month(women issues sorry), but yeah after I stop using Proactive and the meds or when I feel lazy I do break out.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Ivana HB User

I've been usign Proactiv off and on for 6 yrs now. I have to say that I had really bad cystic acne on my face and back for years (since I was 12...i'm now 32). Within 6 weeks of using Proactiv the acne on my back cleared up COMPLETELY! I was truly amazed. It has worked really well on my face as well. I have to say though that I did go off the products sometimes for a few months at a time because my skin was so clear i didn't feel the need to use it continuously. When I would see that the acne was starting to come back I'd get back on...but even when i was on it continuously I would occasionally get a cyst. I think it's only normal...there,s no one medication really that can control it permanently. Overall though, I've had a great experience with Proactiv. My acne was definitely not mild and it worked so I would recommend it. I think age also plays a factor. I'm sure that simply being 32 has improved my skin than when i was 22.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #11
(female)

Lil'Pea HB User

I have been using Proactiv for almost 2 years....and yes, if I stop using it i get acne again...but that's not from the medication....I mean, if you have acne when you start using it (and that's obviously why you would start) then of course you'll get your acne back when you stop. I don't think it has anything to do with them wanting you to spend a bunch of money...if you have an acne problem, you're gonna spend money on a solution no matter what you decide to use. As someone else already mentioned, there is no cure for acne so nothing that you use is going to clear it up permanently... your face will only be clear as long as you keep using the product....for the basic package through Proactiv, it runs about 25 a month....seems a small price to pay for clear skin and confidence! I reccomend it to any one who asks...if it doesn't work, you get your money back no questions asked....good luck!!

Closed Thread