It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 08:53 PM   #1

kittikat HB User
Diet does not matter!!!!

I eat relatively healthy. However, my acne started clearing up. And I wanted to say, to all that think it is diet that is an influence on acne. It's nonsense. After eating "healthy", I gave up and started to eat like I have always eaten. My family is from England, so everything is fattening and terrible for your health. But my acne is clearing up. I don't believe it is diet that causes acne. Just my opinion and had to express it.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
(male)

Ratman HB User
Re: Diet does not matter!!!!

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. Before I got kicked out of my house, I had a very healthy diet and stuck to it pretty strictly. I had been on that healthy diet for about a year. Then, 2 months ago, I got kicked out and my diet has made a COMPLETE 180 degree turn for the worst. Basically, all I eat is junk food. My face still isn't perfect, but I've actually seen a turn for the better, which doesn't say that a bad diet makes your face better, but it does indicate that your diet doesn't matter. I'm just glad to not be paranoid about every single little thing I decide to eat anymore.

Saw my reflection and cried
So little hope that I died

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
(female)

cheerful64 HB User

I agree too. I have had times in my life that I ate unhealthy foods and times that I ate healthy ones. My acne was still there no matter what. People say greasy foods cause acne but this sounds so stupid to me because the grease goes to your stomach, it's not rubbed on your face. My sister eats chocolate and pizza alot and her face is clear. I have a friend who follows the South Beach diet and she has had to go on accutane bc her acne is so bad. There is just too much evidence to support your/my opinion. It is frustrating when someone says to eat right and that will clear up my acne. I've tried that and it didn't work, please someone give us some real advice and no more myths!

Old 05-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
(male)

euro9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerful64
My sister eats chocolate and pizza a lot and her face is clear. !
OF COURSE! How many more times? Everyone is different. EVeryone has friends/family who can eat anything they want and yet they never have, maybe never will have a spot on them. They just have better immune systems, more effective digestive systems, better functioning livers/kidneys to excrete all the waste. I am naturally very thin - even if i ate loads of chocolate etc I wouldn't put on any weight. But another person would put on loads of weight - food affects everyone differently.

Just because you have a friend who eats unhealthily and they don't have acne doesn't mean that food does not affect your skin. It's an extraordinarily simplistic argument.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

All I'm going to say is that everyone is different.

What is unfavorable for one person isn't always unfavorable for another.

If it is unfavorable to 2 different people, the end result (symptom, problem) may be two seemingly unrelated things (until you research them further and find that they ARE related).

However since you are clearing up, perhaps it's because you are growing out of it. Congrats!

Last edited by SweetJade1; 05-02-2005 at 07:01 AM.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:39 AM   #6

carole820 HB User

I agree with sweetjade and euro9. Saying that you know people who eat junk and don't break out is like saying that you know people who smoke but don't have cancer. There's still a link.

I've made some significant changes to my diet (due mainly to things that I've read on this board) and for the first time in decades I'm finally starting to feel optimistic about my skin. I think that people who aren't getting results by "eating healthy" may have some misconceptions about what kinds of foods trigger acne. It takes tons of research and lots of trial and error while you identify your own trigger foods, but when you get there it is so, so worth it!

Old 05-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJade1
All I'm going to say is that everyone is different.

What is unfavorable for one person isn't always unfavorable for another.
That's a pretty strong contradiction of everything else I've read from you on this board. You're always insisting that everyone should be on this diet of yours. (And my the way, my acne has taken a very dramatic turn for the WORSE since I quit eating wheat and oats two years ago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJade1
However since you are clearing up, perhaps it's because you are growing out of it. Congrats!
That I agree with. Most teenage acne does improve between 16 and 18, although most people don't entirely outgrow it until 20 or so.

Old 05-03-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Und3rc0v3r HB User

I thought you advocated a non-junkfood diet, kittikat? Wasn't it you who said things went downhill whilst you were on holiday eating junk?

Personally, I think we should all work out for ourselves what effect our diet has on our skin. I think SweetJade has slowly lost the will to reiterate this!

Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

This argument is akin to which religion is right or wrong. A losing battle. I do think it's at least worth a try before diet is dismissed.

I remember when I was around 19 (oh so long ago) and my acne magically disappeared for like 2 months. Just poof it was gone. I did nothing different. Then it came back. What a maniacal disease.

kittikat- what did you find that started clearing your acne?

Old 05-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #10

kittikat HB User

I am just glad that I can finally resume my original lifestyle and go out to eat with my friends without worrying so much about what I eat. I have really noticed that when I just eat what I want I am breaking out less. I mean I have always ate "healthy". I crave fruits and vegetables, but I am not going to worry about consuming diary products, meat, starchy foods, etc. I swear, I think the stress of eating certain foods contributed to increased acne. I don't know. But I going to live my life and not worry so much about what I eat and if it is contributing to my acne. So hear is throwing caution to the wind.

My acne started clearing up after I went to a dermatologist that my grandparents recommended (after going to so many doctors). She simply stated that instead of using the Retin-A Micro full strength, cut it with my sunscreen at night (so simple). No other doctor told me that my face was too young to initially handle the full strength Retin-A. However, I am now using full strength and doing fine.

My regime:
Wash AM and PM with Neutrogena Foaming Face Wash
AM apply Duac and Neutrogena Healthy Defense Moisturizer with SPF 30.
PM apply Retin-A Micro and Obagi Hydroquinone 4%. The hydroquinone is suppose to kick start the Retin-A and make it work better. I think that may be the trick. But I have to give this regime six months. I started March 25, 2005. I am clear, except I got a couple of pimples before my menstrual cycle. So that is expected. But my face looks great and I am getting compliments. Yeah!!!!!

Und3rcOv3r,

That was not me. I have always advocated that diet probably does not contribute to acne. I have experimented myself with diet and found that if I changed my diet (becoming a vegetarian) my acne became worse. So that is my story.

Sweetjade,

I don't think I grew out of it. I am 34 years old and started breaking out when I was 32 years old. I think it was a combination of my hormones changing. It is common for women in their 20's and 30's to start breaking out. All the research points to a change in hormones during this time.

Last edited by kittikat; 05-03-2005 at 06:43 PM.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittikat
I am 34 years old and started breaking out when I was 32 years old.
wow, same with me!! starting breaking out big time almost a couple of years ago and just lately, it seems like its coming to an end.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #12
(male)

euro9 HB User

Sweetjade: "what's favourable to one may not be favourable to another."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
That's a pretty strong contradiction of everything else I've read from you on this board. You're always insisting that everyone should be on this diet of yours. (And my the way, my acne has taken a very dramatic turn for the WORSE since I quit eating wheat and oats two years ago.)
You must be reading it all wrong Crossbow - Sweetjade is always stressing everyone is different. I wouldn't attack someone who is always trying to help. She doesn't try and ram it down our throats like Promotheus did.

If your skin is getting worse since you stopped eating wheat, then u need to try something else. Maybe the things you're eating instead like corn or rice are interfering with your blood sugar levels. Try eating a low-glycemic diet and see if that helps. You can eat some wheat on that.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

(Actually I didn't stop eating wheat because of my skin. It upsets my stomach and makes me bloated.)

Old 05-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

when are we all going to finally understand that for some people, diet can have a dramatic effect on the quality of their skin and health, and for others, it doesn't matter what they do or don't, their skin will always be just what it is?

sweetjade is a sweetie. i can't possibly follow her diet, but she's changed people's lives for the better, wish i could say the same.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #15
(female)

shea31 HB User

Kittikat,
You sound just like me. I turned 32 and my face started breaking out. I have never had any type of acne. I mean perfect skin until this year. I know it is my hormones. It is nothing major but who wants it. I have been taking vitex, milk thistle and the acne cure regime. When my cycle came I only had 3 zits. I am becoming hopeful. I gave up all acne food for a month and still looked bad. This month I ate normal(which is healthy I shop at Whole Foods) and had much less break outs. If you have any advice about my hormones I would love to hear it

Closed Thread