It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Unhappy Don't drink milk

There seems to be a lot of people who believe that the hormones in cow's milk may make acne worse. To those who don't drink cow's milk, is soy milk the best alternative? Since, soy milk probably doesn't taste that good, I decided to get Strawberry Soy Milk. Then realized that it has 15g of sugar per serving. Do you soy milk drinkers out there not worry that the sugar content may make acne worse?

Old 05-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

kyle7042 HB User
Re: Don't drink milk

Sorry to disappoint you all but cows milk causing acne is a total myth- cows (or any animal in fact) hormones would have no effect on the human body either good or bad.
As for the soy milk thing- that is a myth too because sugar can cause weight gain as we all know- but sugar does NOT cause acne. This is because when sugar enters the body it is absorbed into the fat cells hence weight gain- sugar does not affect the skin cells- it goes nowhere near the skin cells in fact.
Hope this has cleared up a few things.
Kyle7042

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

organic cow's milk has no hormones or antibiotics in it. soy milk does not taste bad, but i personally don't care for it in my cereal, and i loooooove my cheerio's!!

Old 05-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
(female)

health15 HB User

I love soy milk and have tried many different brands. The best is the Silk original or plain soy milk. The silk brands tend to be the most creamy. I get the plain because I think the other ones are too sweet. They also sell cultured soy (yogurt made from soy instead of milk). It is also very good. I have been a partial vegetarian for almost 9 years now. I almost never drink cows milk and only buy cage-free vegetarian eggs that are free of hormones and antibiotics. Unfortunately I still have mild acne. I think my skin is less oily, but this might have just naturally developed as I got older.

Last edited by health15; 05-19-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Soymilk tastes sooo good IMO...Silk is the best, and I only get the plain kind. Cow's milk however, I dont drink because I feel we were not meant to drink cows milk..obviously because we are not baby cows..lol. So it doesnt make much sense to me why humans drink it anyway. Also now-a-days cows milk has alot of pus and are fed chemically engineered feeds and pumped full of hormones to keep them artificially inseminated. The unsanitary conditions of their stalls make a regimen of antibiotics mandatory to prevent disease. So even if milk doesnt break you out...I'd stay away from it because of these facts.
Everyones skin is different so if cow's milk broke someone out that doesnt mean it would break everyone out.
From my point of view...soy milk definitly doesnt break me out..if fact, soy is great for the skin.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Another alternative brand to cows milk is Rice Dream. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, and plain and I LOVE IT! Tastes great. I also like drinking Silk Soy Milk - personally, I hate the taste of cow's milk. Give me soy anyday!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
Inactive

Takara HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7042
sugar does NOT cause acne. This is because when sugar enters the body it is absorbed into the fat cells hence weight gain- sugar does not affect the skin cells- it goes nowhere near the skin cells in fact.
Hope this has cleared up a few things.
Kyle7042

This is false. You're right that sugar doesn't go near the skin cells, but it does cause a release in insulin which is a hormon known to cause an increase in acne.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:24 AM   #8
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

Naturally I agree totally with Takara, sugar is detrimental to acne.

Careful though about soy milk if you're a guy - it doubles your chance of getting prostate cancer!!! Also it increases your chances of getting alzheimers disease. The soy industry doesn't like telling ppl about this one!
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 05-20-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccutaneAvenger
Careful though about soy milk if you're a guy - it doubles your chance of getting prostate cancer!!! Also it increases your chances of getting alzheimers disease. The soy industry doesn't like telling ppl about this one!
Really? That's quite interesting. Is that after years and years of consumption? Or can short term consumption also have this possible effect?

Old 05-20-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
(female)

health15 HB User

I was very interested in the comment about Alzheimer's and soy. I did a search and this is what i found.

Dec. 7, 2004 -- Eating a diet high in fish and soy may help your brain fight the destructive plaque associated with Alzheimer's disease, according to new research.

The study showed that mice fed a diet rich in the omega-3 fatty acids found in fish and soy, produced more of a protein that helps eliminate the amyloid peptides that cause plaque in the brain.

The diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids stimulated production of the protein known as insulin-degrading enzyme or IDE, which may help protect the brain against Alzheimer's disease.

Researchers say the findings may also help explain why people with type 2 diabetes, who are resistant to the actions of insulin, are more likely to develop Alzheimer's disease due to their lack of this protein.

This study actually says the opposite.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:30 AM   #11
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

There was a hawaian study which linked soy to increased chances of Alzheimers. Also read the articles of Fallon and Enig on this topic which speak about the link.

The link between soy and alzheimers is one of conflicting views amongst health experts, and to be honest I don't think it increases chances of Alzheimers.

HOWEVER, there is no doubt that it increases the chance of prostate cancer in men, so BE VERY CAREFUL is all I'm saying to you.

AA
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 05-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

I guess we should stay away from milk and soy...both contribute to health problems. I'm not a guy so I dont have to worry about soy and prostate cancer though

Closed Thread