It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2005, 02:34 AM   #1
(female)

bimbotica HB User
a lil story bout myself.

hey guys i've been reading this forums for ages but havent had the guts to post anything. but you guys rock big time. everytime i feel down i just come here and know there's a way outta this hell hole.
basically i got acne bout a year ago. i'm 19 now. and i used to be really pretty as shallow as that may sound. my acne is concentrated around my cheeks and cause i'm kinda dark the post pigmentation marks take months to go away.they dont even have a chance to heal cause before you know it another zit has popped up. its not that severe but severe enough to cause me loads of shame.
i'm on doxy now but it doesnt seem to be doing much. also using the sea salt remedy.not sure if it helps.
was thinking of going on accutane. the thing is i start uni this august and if i start now i may have time to recover from the initial breakout of accutane by aug.
deltoro and arock, you guys have been super encouraging and that's awesome.
just have some qns bout tane...even if your acne isnt that severe would it cause it to be more severe than before? and whats the success rate of accutane like? those who have been on this plsssssssss reply i beg you.
and within two months can you note a diff? the thing is i'm taking it mainly to prevent any future breakouts which i dont think i can handle any longer. thx a bunch.love you guys!!

Last edited by bimbotica; 05-22-2005 at 02:36 AM.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User
Re: a lil story bout myself.

hi bim, first of all, you are still pretty, you just have acne and that can go away, luckily. have you tried any other medications? how long have you been on the doxy? most people have to try at least a few dif remedies before a derm will prescribe accutane, but that's b/c most people's acne can be controlled w/out tane. there are also lotsa topicals, that you might want to try in conjunction with the doxy. also, if you're not on birth control pills, you might consider trying one of them out. i use yasmin right now, i'd avoid ortho evra patch, ortho tricyclin works for some, i also like ortho novum 7-7-7, and i've heard good things about diane35. there are some who use diet to control their acne, cutting out dairy for example. if you notice that there are triggers for your acne, then quit eating those things! i can't drink soft drinks, even on accutane (which kills me cuz there's nothing like an ice-cold pepsi on a hot day ), and giving up coffee reduced my stress, which could only help not just my acne, but everything in my life, really. i still drink black and green tea though, i do still need to be awake! *lol*

good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. ali

ps- have you tried the juice-of-one-lemon-in-water-or-herbal-tea a day thing? i've found it useful, even on accutane, and it can't hurt!

Last edited by arock; 05-22-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #3

nm80 HB User

what's " juice-of-one-lemon-in-water-or-herbal-tea a day thing? " ?

Old 05-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

there's a whole thread about it here somewhere. you drink the juice of one lemon in water or herbal tea every day- has to be an actual lemon, not the juice you buy in the bottle- and it helps clear acne. the guy who posted about it has the science and all behind it, i think you can search for the thread.

i'm on accutane, but i still make sure that i always have lemons in the kitchen, just in case i get the occasional stray pimple. it really seems to help clear them up faster, like in a day or two. and when i was in the throes of the initial breakout it helped, in conjunction with my biweekly injections, keep my ginourmous cysts under control. or at least enough so that i could show my hideous mug in the grocery store!

give it a try. the author suggests juicing a whole lemon into a liter of water and sipping it continuously throughout the day, making sure to drink the whole thing by the end of the day. i just squeeze half a lemon into a big cup, add a bunch of honey, hot water and either green, or tension tamer tea, stir, wait for it to cool, drink, then do it again with the other half. the honey, btw, not recommended, but i can't do it w/out it!

Old 05-22-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
(female)

bimbotica HB User

hey ali thanks a million for the reply. anyways...are you using yasmine along with accutane? perhaps it could be the BCP instead of tane which is helping your acne? and how has the progress been? was the initial break out worse than anythin youve gotten before tane? so sorry for bugging you with so many qns....

Old 05-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #6
(female)

not having fun HB User

Hi, I'm new to this, and have never posted anything before, but I thought I would give it a try and share my story in hopes of getting some possible suggestions. I had mild acne through the later part of highschool, which continued into University. But just before I turned 21, it started getting a lot worse. Over the past year, my acne has gotten really bad. I have multiple pimples on my cheeks and chin, and some on my neck, near my jawline. I have no idea why they are forming.

I have tried many OTC products, but some just dry out my skin and make it worse. I tried a benzoyl peroxide wash, which I thought might help, but I could only use it once every couple days because it dried out my skin so much. This might be why it wasn't very effective. I've also tried using salicylic acid as a spot treatment, but it didn't prove very effective either. about 3 weeks ago I started using Neutrogena Oil Free Acne wash, and at first I thought it was helping, but after a few days, it started to dry out my skin a lot, and I think this caused me to break out more, especially on my cheeks. I've cut back to washing with it just once a day, and I use Clean and Clear Sensitive skin foaming cleanser in the morning. I moisturize after everytime I wash. My skin doesn't appear as dry and flacky now, but the pimples are definitely still there. It's weird, but pimples that were healing and starting to fade are becoming reinfected and developing again... this keeps happening on my cheeks. Just when I think its gone, it starts to come back. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to keep the pimples from re-forming in the same spots... is there any reason that they are doing this?

I'm really desperate for a cure. My skin is starting to scar, and it looks horrible. I'm constantly avoiding friends and people that I care about because I don't want them to see me like this. Please, any help would be appreciated

Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

nhf- have you been to a dermatologist yet? that would be step #1. there are so many resources your derm has access to to help you control your acne, but make an appt asap, since getting in to see those guys can be difficult. don't worry, you'll find something that works.

in the meantime, try the lemon thing, it's easy as pie and totally helps, see my post on page one of this thread. i know a couple of other people here use this as well. i don't use it exclusively, or even regularly, just whenever i start to get a flare up. good luck, and don't give up hope!

bim, yeah, i broke out like crazy from the tane, it was the absolute worst ever. although, like so many women here, i broke out fast and furious when i was about 21, but not the gimungous cysts, they were little cysts, but all over my face, instead of just on my jawline. tane sucks, but it works. as of today, for the first time in years, i have not a single pimple upon my mug. not even one little one! amazing, but not without cost, and i don't mean money. my #1 complaint is joint pain, which i control w, otc meds like exedrine. i'm happy to answer ?s, btw, that's what this board is all about, no? take care, ali

Last edited by arock; 05-23-2005 at 01:31 PM.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

ps bim- the yasmin definately helped. in fact, i was on the patch (ortho evra) when i first started tane, and it's my opinion that that was what made my initial breakout so severe. stay AWAY from the patch!!! i think it's the massive doses of hormones that does it, and i don't care what anyone else says about that. could be the hormone combo, but whatever, that thing is baaaaad! i ran outta pills and thought i would 'fill in' with the patch that i had leftover and a cyst that had been shrinking on my right jaw, w/in a few hours, started swelling back up again. i took the patch off and overnight the thing shrank back down. that was enough for me, i'll never put one of those things on ever, ever again. never ever, ever!

Old 05-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

bimbotica - yes, my daughter's initial breakout was worse than anything previously experienced. BCP did not work for her.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Bimotica, welcome, and I am glad you find support and encouragement in our struggles, it does help to know its not just you having acne! My worst areas where and continue to be my cheeks as well. Not sure how long you have been on doxy and BCP but it may just need some time to kick in. Accutane is no fun, you really have to take care of yourself and be uber carefull about crap you never gave a second thought about before you started Accutane. I very much did not want to take accutane but after years of trying to handle things myself with not much improvement I really had no other options. Have you spoke to your derm about the possibility of accutane? My cystic acne was very severe. I am almost at two months and I have seen improvement, but you wouldn't see my face and think I had clear skin. So yes I can see a difference, but I am no where near being really clear. I have had a few bad breakouts while on accutane, I have one right now!!! YIKES! But I am going to stick with it I have had minimal sideeffects and I am not miserable, and hope I continue to clear, but there is no guarntee. My cheeks continue to be a tough area to break as well as my chin. I am still getting cystic acne in both places, but most of my standard acne is gone. I would start by talking to your derm to see if you are a canidate for accutane, and just remember acne is only a small part of who you are!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 AM   #11
(female)

bimbotica HB User

hey del how has the progress been dearie? is tane worth it? perhaps its too early to tell though...hang in there babe! we're all behind ya.
and skimom did your daughter's acne improve after accutane?

Closed Thread