It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
(male)

Bears00 HB User
Question Smoothbeam or Accutane?

Hello everyone. I was wondering if smoothbeam laser is a good alternative to accutane? I havent tried either one, but going to the dermatologist next week. I have acne and acne scars, and smoothbeam supposedly takes care of both with no side effects. I dont mind the cost of smoothbeam treatments as long as it works. I also have dry skin, so does anybody know if accutane will make it even more dry? Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
Re: Smoothbeam or Accutane?

Smoothbeam is a JOKE. I had mild - moderate acne and some scarring so I decided to get it done, I had eight treatments and it was on almost the highest power (there are different levels of power it can be set to). While I was getting the treatments, my skin looked less oily - and that's it. As SOON as I stopped getting the treatments, oiliness came back. It NEVER helped my acne or scarring. I think it is SUCH a waste of money!! And, it is PAINFUL. I have heard many people describe it as "getting a tattoo on your face." (And that is not an exaggeration). NOT WORTH IT.

I used to have severe acne and I went on Accutane for that. (This was years before Smoothbeam - I did Smoothbeam one summer ago.) It was a Godsend. Of course there are some sideffects, but trust me, it gets the job done. I was acne free with beautiful skin for about two years. Even after that, I now only have pretty mild acne. For many people, Accutane can clear them up permanently. With Smoothbeam, they will tell you right away that it is a VERY temporary solution. In fact, my derm told me that it is usually something that brides get before their wedding so they will look good for the wedding and honeymood. It is NOT a long-term solution.

I am sooo against Smoothbeam because it was such a dissapointment for me. But that is just my story. I have talked to others that have done Smoothbeam and no one I have talked to has been very impressed. But again, different things work for different people. I will forever be on Accutane's side because it works miracles!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
(female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

I did the smooth beam. Unfortunately, it didnt work for me. BUT, I have heard success stories from it. It made mine worse... and so I went on Accutane. I am now on accutane and realizing I have more scars than I thought (although my Dr. swears it will be minimal). I think it is your choice... everyone is different. Talk to your derm or get a second opinion from some one that does not do smoothbeam (people can be bias when they sell the product). Regardless, good luck with your search. I hope you clear up from one of them.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

Depending on how bad your acne is I guess. Accutane has some side effects but it was the best decision I ever made. I used to get hard, cyst like bumps and then after years of it, I tried Accutane. I had mild headaches at first, dry lips & skin but now even 4 years later I may get a pimple or 2 before my monthly cycle but thats it! If your acne is bad, don't suffer...get the accutane. Just talk to your doc before hand concerning side effects & birth control! Good luck!

Old 05-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
(male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

Accutane is the way to go. I just finished mine, it works miracles!

Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #6
(male)

Bears00 HB User

Thanks for the input, I willl consider accutane more now

Closed Thread