It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Grains can cause acne

There seems to be a lot of belief that grains may cause acne. The Healthy Food Pyramid thing (I'm sure you've all seen it at some point) recommends 4-6 servings of grain and grain-based foods on a daily basis. So to those who try to avoid grains, don't you feel that you are missing certain health benefits from grain? I've eliminated a lot of the grains from my daily diet, but am having trouble getting enough carbs; are there certain grains that do not cause acne? I hear "stone ground whole grain" is the least processed of all grains.

P.S. - If you don't believe there is an acne & diet connection, DON'T POST!!!

Last edited by Andrew29; 05-23-2005 at 11:45 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 AM   #2

rocknroll1234 HB User
Re: Grains can cause acne

Well i definetely believe there is a diet and acne connection. I drink a lot of green tea to which I find helps. Prob with green tea it helps with weight loss so Im a twig right now. For carbs I eat a lot of Oatmeal which doesn't break me out. I get organic thick oats from health store. Don't get the small instant crap like quaker instant oats. Make sure the oats are somewhat thick.

I have it in the morning with my tea and sometimes at night. I just boil water in a kettle. I don't make the oatmeal over the stovetop or anything.

Last edited by rocknroll1234; 05-24-2005 at 07:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

Hey andrew~ I do believe diet can make acne worse and skin worse in general. However, I don't have much faith in that Food Pyramid because they have changed it about 5 times..lol
They dont know what they are talking about IMO.
I agree with Rocknroll, I'm eating oatmeal right now and I havent had it in a while which could attribute to why im breaking out easier lately. When i would eat it every morning my skin was much better than it is now. All I put in mine is a banana or eat it plain.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:43 AM   #4

carole820 HB User

Oatmeal is excellent . . . I use one that comes in a metal can (forget the name) but it's Irish Oatmeal, which is different than what we usually eat in the states. It's not as processed as rolled oats. It looks competely different when it's raw . . . more grainy instead of flakey like the rolled ones. Anyway, it's the best oatmeal that I've ever found.

Also, quinoa is very good. Here's the nutritional info for 1/2 cup (dry):
Calories 318
Total fat (g) 4.9
Saturated fat (g) 0.5
Monounsaturated fat (g) 1.3
Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2
Dietary fiber (g) 5
Protein (g) 11
Carbohydrate (g) 59
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Sodium (mg) 18
Riboflavin (mg) 0.3
Vitamin E (mg) 4.1
Copper (mg) 0.7
Iron (mg) 7.9
Magnesium (mg) 179
Manganese (mg) 1.9
Phosphorus (mg) 349
Potassium (mg) 629
Zinc (mg) 2.8

Neither of these break me out. In fact, I think they help improve my acne.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll1234
Don't get the small instant crap like quaker instant oats. Make sure the oats are somewhat thick.
I've actually never been able to eat oatmeal; just too bland. Quaker instant oatmeal is the only form of oatmeal that I can tolerate. Is it the sugar content that makes it undesirable? If so, they now have a "reduced sugar" version for like 2 flavours. Besides oatmeal, what else is there?

Old 05-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #6
(female)

Miranda005 HB User

I like to eat oatmeal every morning, but i only get organic oatmeal because it's better for you then quaker oatmeal

Oats are good for you

Old 05-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #7

carole820 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29
I've actually never been able to eat oatmeal; just too bland. Quaker instant oatmeal is the only form of oatmeal that I can tolerate. Is it the sugar content that makes it undesirable? If so, they now have a "reduced sugar" version for like 2 flavours. Besides oatmeal, what else is there?
I don't think it's the sugar (although that's not good for you, either). I think that with the instant oatmeal it's more refined, which means it's less nutritious and has a higher GI (like the difference between white / wheat bread or brown / white rice). When I make oatmeal I mix it with yogurt, walnuts, and diced up granny smith apples or bananas. Definitely not bland!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #8

rocknroll1234 HB User

Yeah im pretty sure the instant stuff has a higher GI which is bad. Just get the organic stuff and throw some blueberrys and rasberrys in with it. Thats what I do occasionally.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
(male)

skyguy HB User

Another "recipe." Get some whole organic flax seeds and a cheap coffee grinder and put flax seeds in the oatmeal. Adds a ton of fiber, good fat, a bit of protein. You can also add a bit of honey, or fruit like everyone else suggested. Berries have a relatively low GI.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
(female)

jazmella HB User

I buy the Quaker Oatmeal that comes in that paper bag...It only has one ingredient: Rolled oats...Been eating that forever. lol.

And yes, you do need grains in your diet. Bread is fine, so long as you read the nutritional information and compare shop. Not all whole wheat breads are alike. I buy the ones with multiple grains and has the least amount of sugar per serving.

Just be a smart consumer, but don't hold back on grains. Just shop smart. Compare.

Closed Thread