It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #1

gracestarfairy HB User
Unhappy Major ACNE on chin and sides of mouth!! HELP

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone else here have to deal with major acne on your chin and around the bottom half out the mouth area??? If so what has helped you with the acne in this area!! I keep getting breakout after breakout. It's both painful and really embarasing. I don't know what to do and have tried everything!! I feel hopless! Please help, any advise would be awesome!! Thanks and take care!!

`~Elizabeth Grace

Last edited by gracestarfairy; 05-24-2005 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User
Re: Major ACNE on chin and sides of mouth!! HELP

hi eg, i know just how you feel. i broke out for years just like that, trying every otc product i could get my hands on, but nothing worked. i finally went back to my derm, who i had hoped i could live without, and he put me on accutane. it's been six (really awful) months, but my face is finally clear.

i'd suggest seeing a derm, first of all. hopefully you can control your acne w/out resorting to such a powerful drug as accutane. i controlled mine for years with doxycycline, a (Rx) bp wash, and cleocinT lotion. but you cant' stay on antibiotics forever, so here i am. maybe for you it would just take a twice daily application of retin-a micro. see yer derm and see what s/he has to say. good luck! ali

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

amberw22 HB User

I have the same thing. I've read about it in magazines (it does have a specific name- I just don't remember) and it is usually hormonal. I got on Birth Control and at the same time saw my Derm. He put me on Retin-A Micro which helped the ance but made my skin so irritated I asked to be switched to something else. Now I am on Clindomiacine (sp?) and Azelex. I still have monthly breakouts but it is better than it was. Since I started the birth control and Creme Rx at the same time, it's hard to tell what is doing the job. Oh, and I was on an antibacterial Rx from the Derm along w/ the Clindamiacine & Azelex which was the best combo but I Had to get of the antibacterials pills so it didn't interfere w/ my BC.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

I'm 25, female, and used to have similar acne. For 10 months I've been on orthotricyclen, taking doxycycline twice a day, and using retin-a cream at night. My face is now almost completely clear and I hardly ever get pimples. I would definitely talk to a dermatologist and try whatever he/she prescribes.

Last edited by tiggerbuddy; 05-24-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

I agree...I've never had this problem, but have a friend that does and he doc said it's hormonal.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
(female)

lemondrop HB User

I have the same problem, I rarely get pimples anywhere else except my chin. And they're always the under-the-skin painful kind. I also have extremely sensitive skin so they're hard to treat without irritating myself. They've improved a bunch since I started using Cetaphil. However, the past couple of days I have 3 new ones, yay! Luckily, even though they hurt and are kind of big, they aren't terribly noticeable since they are mostly underneath (they just make me a little red which can be covered up for the most part). So I take Advil to make ease the pain and hope for the best but I'm am quite anxious about it right now so if anyone has any tips let me know.

I've heard the same exact thing, that's it's hormonal. I went on Orthotrycyclen Lo about two years ago and I put on 10 lbs. so there is no way I'm doing that again. I'd rather have zits than flab.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:36 AM   #7
(female)

Lilac123 HB User

I had the chin/sides of mouth breakouts for years, too. Yes, I always heard it was hormonal. Orthotricyclen didn't work for me, though (I was on it for 5 years for its primary use). Proactiv worked for about a year, then stopped being effective. Years ago I had tried tetracycline and Retin A cream. Nothing worked long term. I have sensitive skin, too.

What has worked is staying away from high glycemic index foods. Although I thought I was eating healthy before, I realized that I ate a lot of cereal (even "healthy" ones like bran flakes and Shredded Wheat"), potatoes, baked goods, etc. and often by themselves so I wasn't balancing the meal with any low glycemic index foods. A couple months ago, I began "balancing" my diet much more by incorporating more lean meats/proteins, lots more veggies and low glycemic carbs like old fashioned oatmeal than my body was getting before. I tend to shy away from high glycemic index foods now, but when I do have them, I try to eat them with low glycemic index foods. I have had no breakouts since, my face looks better everyday as the red marks are fading and I feel more in control. I also take Vitamin A, B-complex and zinc everyday now as these are all good for your skin.

I know the diet/acne relationship is controversial. But I think I'm an example of someone who diet was a main factor for.

Closed Thread