It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

utlonhghorn HB User
1st microdermabrasion yesterday

Hey yall,
I had my 1st microdermabrasion done yesterday and I am SOOO happy w it. I had some scarring that was below my normal skin level and they are all so very leveled out. My skin as a whole looks extremely smooth. I have some light red marks on my cheeks and I am not sure if they were helped much yet but my indented scars are perfect. Afterv my first one I don't think I really need any more microderm done but I might go for one more. I am so happy with it and I would recommend to anyone dealing w post acne issues.

Last edited by utlonhghorn; 05-24-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User
Re: 1st microdermabrasion yesterday

hey utlon, i'm so glad to hear that you're happy with your result! i have ?s for ya. does your insurance pay for any part of the treatment, or is it all outta pocket? if you don't mind me asking, about what was the cost? also, your pitted scars, were they the ice-pick variety, or the orange peel type?

congratulations, btw! that is awesome. best, ali

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
(male)

utlonhghorn HB User

my microdermabrasion was 60.00 at my derm's office. They were having a special. It is regularly 75.00 which I still don't think is 2 bad. Insurance doesn't pay for it since it is considered cosmetic. My scars I guess were more ice pick like. Sorry I am not exactly sure with the terminology but I just had some places which seemed a little lower than my skin's surface. (kinda like a hole).

Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
(male)

utlonhghorn HB User

my microdermabrasion was 60.00 at my derm's office. They were having a special. It is regularly 75.00 which I still don't think is 2 bad. Insurance doesn't pay for it since it is considered cosmetic. My scars I guess were more ice pick like. Sorry I am not exactly sure with the terminology but I just had some places which seemed a little lower than my skin's surface. (kinda like a hole).

Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

that does sound pretty reasonable! i know those laser treatments can be pretty pricey, but wasn't sure about the microdermabrasion, but it sounds affordable. i might try it after my accutane treatment is over. i think i have to wait 6-12 months after though. i'm not sure, but it looks like i'm getting a little orange peel-y around my mouth and chin and while it's preferable to the acne that i used to have there, i don't want big orange peel-looking skin either! my husband says i'm never satisfied (like it's a bad thing! *lol*), but that's reasonable, i think, to have smooth skin? esp if it's not expensive, then, why not?

thanks for letting us know about your experience!

Old 05-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

one more question: how old are you? not trying to pry, just i'm 30, and young skin can be better at healing than older skin. and what's the healing like? are you all oozey and gross for awhile? or do you walk outta there pink and you're back to normal in a day or two?

Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
(male)

utlonhghorn HB User

I am 20 years old guy. I have pretty tough skin and a brown (kinda dark olive) complexion so I do not turn red easily. Right after the treatment I was slightly red, but that was it. My skin did feel a little sore but I did not look oozey or gross @ all. I just looked a little red and I could immediately see the positive changes.
The oozey and gross stuff can happen if you use glycolic peels since the skin slowly flakes off days after treatment but with microdermabrasion, the skin is all taken off during the procedure and sucked in by this vacuum. So there is NO peeling.
As far as the healing and stuff goes, the microdermabrasion wand has different settings so if you have more delicate skin, the aesthetician will stick to a lower setting. My aesthetician started @ lower setting and went higher since my skin could take it.
Today a day after the treatment, my skin is perfectly normal. I actually went back to my regime of using glycolic cleanser to wash my face and will use retin a micro before I go to bed. The aesthetician recomends that you do not use any retinoids or acids 24-48 hours after treatment. With me since my skin is pretty tough, I got back to using them after 24 hours.
I hope this helps!

Last edited by utlonhghorn; 05-24-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

did it hurt?

Old 05-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
(male)

utlonhghorn HB User

slight discomfort during treatment; as if u are using a harsh scrub but thats it

Old 05-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #10
(female)

spotty99 HB User

Hi utlonhghorn,

Really great to hear the great results on your microderm! I have shallow indented scars on some parts of my cheeks - scars which disappear when I stretch my face lightly. I signed up for a series of microderm since Feb 2005 and have since done 2 microderms. I am a lot older - 35, so, my indented scars, although shallow didn't disappear like how your scars did. I AM told though that I need multiple treatments to be able to see significant improvement. There are mixed reviews on microderms that I read. But I am really hoping for at least 80% improvement by end of this year. In terms of skin texture and even skin tone, yes I do see great improvement. But then I had peels done too at the same time at a higher frequency. Well, let's see how things go and hopefully I can post back here in 6 months time with great news.

Closed Thread