It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

tscorpio24 HB User
Doxycycline and Differen

Hello All! I am new to this board and I'm so glad I discovered it. I have been dealing with moderate to severe acne since I was 10. I am now 24 and I finally went to see the dermatologist 2 months ago. He prescribed doxycycline and differen cream. He also told me to wash my face with dove soap and mix it with betadine. I started using the differen cream right away. I just started taking the doxy 3 weeks ago. My skin was doing so so while I was just using the differen but now I am waking up with a new pimple almost every day. Does it take a while for the antibiotics to kick in? Am I having an initial outbreak or something? How long does it take differen to work also? Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
(female)

pink-pajamas HB User
Re: Doxycycline and Differen

The doxycycline should kick in soon. It worked great for me in the past. Make sure that you are taking it at the same time every day with a full glass of water. I found that it worked best if I took it an hour and a half after my last meal of the day. If you take it with any calcium (even if it's mac and cheese) the calcium will inhibit it's function. I couldn't take it on an empty stomach though, made me sick.

Stick with it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

For what it's worth, I was on Doxycycline, 100 mg BID, about four or five years ago, for the treatment of adult acne. It worked great and my face cleared up. I was on it for about two years and then out of the blue I developed tumors in my left lung. The condition is called BOOP. I don't recall the whole name to the acronym, but it's known as Organizing Pneumonia. I had surgery and luckily it was beign. I had done extensive reading about it and one of the main causes of this is long term use of antibiotics. I stopped taking the Doxy prior to surgery.

That surgery was a little over two years ago. Last week I had a colonoscopy to try to find the source of pain I had in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen. They found an infection called Clostridium Difficille. I am now on a a very potent antibiotic called Vancocin (250 mg, QID) for 14 days. I am also on Methadone for pain. I have been on the Meth at 180 mg for about two years. Cause of the C-Diff (acronym for my infection) is long term use of antibiotics. Another health issue I have had due to the long term use of Doxy.
One thing I forgot and that's the use of Differen. Both my wife and I used it and my wife still does. It works great and we've experienced no problems from it.

I don't mean to scare you, but you might want to research this a little bit. Also, ask your doctor. If he/she doesn't know about it, don't be surprised. Mine had never heard of it either. Scarey!

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 05-25-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I have been using Differin and Doxy for a month now. In my 3rd week, which was last week, I broke out pretty bad but it was alot of whiteheads which usually means the Differin and the Doxy are pushing all the bacteria out. Now my skin is starting to calm down somewhat. Most people say to stick with these treatments cause right when you are about to give up hope and throw it all away your skin will clear up. My advice is to wait till the 4th or 5th month before you think it isn't working. Keep me updated on your progress!! I know long term use of the antibiotics is probably dangerous but what choice do I have? Accutane? I don't think so!

Old 05-25-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

tscorpio24 HB User

Hey Everyone..thanks for the info. Babygirl, it seems me and you are in the same boat at the moment. Keep me updated on your progress also. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this. Are you taking doryx or just the generic doxycycline? My doctor prescribed doryx and he gave me a month worth of samples. I just realized today how expensive doryx is...$145 for 30 capsules..I'm a college student with no insurance so I called today to ask if I can get a prescription for the generic brand...I am waiting for them to call back. Do any of you know if there is a big difference between doryx and the generic brands. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

I am on Doryx too. I have insurance so mine are only $25. Doryx is a very agressive form of Doxycycline to answer your question. I'll keep you updated on my progress! Oh by the way there is a big difference in the generic and the real thing my derm. told me.

Last edited by babygirl2005_21; 05-25-2005 at 06:34 PM.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #7
(female)

bimbotica HB User

hi...i'm on doxy, the generic version.was just wondering if i should try to get the real thing. what's the difference? anywayz i'm on differin as well..........i think its working quite well. keep me updated k guys...

Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
(female)

tscorpio24 HB User

Hey Bimb, how long have you been on the doxy and differin? How long before you saw results? I read somewhere that the generic doxy might cause more gastrointestinal upsets. Babygirl, what exactly did ur derm tell u was the main difference between the two? If doxy will do the job for me..even if less powerful..I will go with the generic.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:28 AM   #9
(female)

spotty99 HB User

I took the generic version of Doxycline when I broke out horribly 6 months ago. Trust me, it was severe - big huge cyctic acne. Derm prescribed Doxy and Differin. I didn't use the Differin though 'cos I was using AHA stuff and didn't want to use another strong product as well. But doxy really killed those acne off within 1 month for me. I can't remember any initial breakout because I was already breaking out so badly before and after I took Doxy. I took Doxy for 2 months only. I have been off for 3 months now. I get whiteheads and some inflammed pimples when I take a lot of junk food or that time of the month but largely my acne is controlled now. No side effects at all with Doxy. But now taking priobiotics to reduce effects of taking antiobiotics for 2 months. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:21 AM   #10
(female)

bimbotica HB User

hey ts i've been on doxy for slightly over a month now. was on some unknown antibiotic earlier for four months. think i'll just be on doxy for three months more at max cause i dont wanna chug down too much antibiotics. and its helping. i get a pimple say once a week? hopefully it helps even more.
good on you spotty! its great to know that you had such success....how often do you get a zit now?

Old 05-27-2005, 06:38 AM   #11
(female)

spotty99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbotica
hey ts i've been on doxy for slightly over a month now. was on some unknown antibiotic earlier for four months. think i'll just be on doxy for three months more at max cause i dont wanna chug down too much antibiotics. and its helping. i get a pimple say once a week? hopefully it helps even more.
good on you spotty! its great to know that you had such success....how often do you get a zit now?
Hi B,

Well, if I stay clear of junk food and sweets, I don't get any pimples at all even during that time of the month anymore. I do get some whiteheads now and then which don't bother me at all compared those awful huge cysts that I used to get. Doxy helped to kill those nasties in the begining and I think AHA peels helped later on with good diet and all. Mind you, this is the first time I took any antibiotic for my acne after 15 years. And like you, I don't want to be on it for more than 3 months.

I am now working on those indented scars.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #12
(female)

tscorpio24 HB User

Hey Spotty,
Glad to hear it worked for you. I'm actually taking probiotics now. I take the multidolphilus(it's acidolphulus plus some other probiotics) in the morning, and then the doxy in the evening. I think I am starting to clear up now...**crossing my fingers** I was reading about vitamin b-5 being good for acne. Any of you tried that yet?

Old 05-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
(female)

spotty99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscorpio24
Hey Spotty,
Glad to hear it worked for you. I'm actually taking probiotics now. I take the multidolphilus(it's acidolphulus plus some other probiotics) in the morning, and then the doxy in the evening. I think I am starting to clear up now...**crossing my fingers** I was reading about vitamin b-5 being good for acne. Any of you tried that yet?
Hi tscorpio,

I started taking some supplements when I started breaking out really badly 6 months ago that contains some Vitamin B-5. But doubt it has the kind of dosage that you are suppose to take for vitamin b-5 to work on acne. Good on you for taking probiotics! It's supposed to help rebuild the good bacteria in your guts after taking so much antibiotics and keep those acne away after you stop taking the antibiotics.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #14
(female)

bimbotica HB User

hey guys, yup i do think we need to change our diet a little. not tooo drastic cause i cant handle that but recently i've cut off anything heaty like chocolates.even sea food aint too good i heard. i also drink plenty of green tea and lemon juice.
anywayz i'm gonna see how the progress goes with doxy and benzoyl peroxide.
if i get a zit in under three days i am sooo going on accutane. good luck ppl..we will all overcome this!

Old 05-29-2005, 04:37 AM   #15
(female)

spotty99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbotica
hey guys, yup i do think we need to change our diet a little. not tooo drastic cause i cant handle that but recently i've cut off anything heaty like chocolates.even sea food aint too good i heard. i also drink plenty of green tea and lemon juice.
anywayz i'm gonna see how the progress goes with doxy and benzoyl peroxide.
if i get a zit in under three days i am sooo going on accutane. good luck ppl..we will all overcome this!
Bimb, Definately with you on this. In the past 15 years of battling acne, funny enough, I didn't bother too much about my diet. I mean, I took good care of my skin externally but didn't do anything internally. I didn't drink enough water, definately didn't take too much fruits and vege and eat loads of choc, sea food, etc etc 'cos diet is not supposed to cause acne, right. But in the past 7 months when I finally did do something about my diet, well I think it helped me got rid of the acne faster and I healed better too. I also started drinking lemon water in the past 1 month and seriously, I think it is helping....

Closed Thread