It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #1

pick_n_pock HB User
Dettol-Soothing Antiseptic Cream

Has anyone tried this?

I've been trying out a gentle as possible regime for the past few months and while it did help get my acne under control it didn't clear it. After realising that these products (Cetaphil, ACV, Aloe vera) had taken me as far as they could, I decided it was time to face up to the fact that I need some chemicals

So now I've done a complete 180 and started apply Dettol to my face...lol

BUt before you all start telling me I'm nuts just hear me out.

After reading about people having success with soap that contained Chloroxylenol i went on the hunt, but the only thing I could find that contained it was this cream.

I have been using it for 3 days now and I LIKE IT!! It has caused no major irritation just some minor flaking but even that's not as bad as it was when I was on BP 5%.

Just wondering if anyone else might have tried this, or any other Chloroxylenol products.

some info found on the net
Virtually all cleansers for acne vulgaris contain benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, Triclosan or just soap/detergent. None of which are remotely close to being broad spectrum, anti-microbial agents. Unfortunately, a truly effective anti-microbial agent chloroxylenol (PCMX), which kills 99.99% of all gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria for up to 12 hours, is not yet available in any product in the mass consumer market in the U.S... However, a few medical supply companies do stock appropriate cleansers that are safe to use on the face. Best is AloeGuard which contains 0.5% PCMX and a skin neutral pH. Moderate to severe acne may respond better to Techni-Care which contains 3% PCMX

benzoyl peroxide only kills 96% of bacteria. The remaining 4% rapidly proliferate and re-colonize the face long before the next facial cleansing

Last edited by pick_n_pock; 05-26-2005 at 10:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 05:53 AM   #2

pick_n_pock HB User
Re: Dettol-Soothing Antiseptic Cream

ONE WEEK UPDATE

Ok this stuff is good

The two weeks just before I started using this stuff was the worst that my skin has been in about 2 months...it went right back to being almost as bad as when I first started breaking out badly, after having improved gradually over the three months, which is why I decided to get drastic

Last week i would have had 10+ pustules, and about the same number of papules.

Now I have no pustules!!! one whitehead, a few papules and some healing flatish red bumps...I really didn't think it would work this well so I'm more than pleased

I apply it only once a day at night, and have just started adding a few drops of Dettol liquid antiseptic to my ACV toner and am pleased with this also.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high... i just hope this improvement is permanent this time or at least lasts more than a few months

Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #3

pick_n_pock HB User

TWO WEEK UPDATE

Still looking good!!

My right side is completely clear and has been so all week. I have one healing red bump on my left cheek and one white head on my upper left cheek...THAT'S IT.

Also the past week I have been working very hard and haven't had much time for anything including sleep so I cut out alot from my skincare regime and was very much expecting to break out, as I usually do when i neglect my face. I stopped my ACV toner, Queene Helene mask spot treatment, Dettol liqid toner, asprin mask, and Palmers fade cream. But still no break out!! I have had these two pimples for about 4 days now so they are taking their sweet time healing... but other than that it's all good. Last week I would have only had 4 pimples the whole week including the current two that I have now, and at the moment there are no signs of any more coming up...

I am very happy with the results that I have seen and would definately recommend that people take a look at not just this cream, but other Chloroxylenol products

Old 06-22-2005, 06:18 AM   #4

pick_n_pock HB User

UPDATE

this update isn't so cheery as the other two.

I had a major cystic breakout from trying out some new makeup (Maxfactor Panstik), I broke out in about 12-15 cysts over a 4 day period, which has taken me the better part of two weeks to recover from...and my skin was looking so good to

BUt once again things are back on track... My skin is not quite as good as it was prior to the Maxfactor debacle but it is getting there

I have 4 "active" pimples and a few healing... okay but not fantastic

I found that using the Dettol cream seemed to prolong my healing process... the pimples would dry up within a day or two but would then just hang around for a week as a flatish red bump... so recently I have started using BP 5% at night as a spot treatment (because I was desperate to find something to dry up those cysts) and it seems to have solved that problem.

Current regime

Morning-
wash face with warm then cold water
Later in the morning-
While in the shower wash face with Cetaphil and very gently exfoliate with a Facial Buff any flaky areas (avoiding any active pimples)
-Apply 2% SA (Oxy cleansing wipe)
-Moisturise

Night
-Cleanse with Cetaphil (twice if wearing makeup)
-Apply Dettol Cream all over areas of the face usually affected by acne (a tiny bit goes a long way)
(- Apply Palmers Fade Cream- i use this as a source of AHA but I'm still not entirely sold on it... don't believe it's all that helpful... looking at trying Gamma Hydroxy Skin Resurfacing Cream by Skin Doctors)
-Moisturise
-Spot treat with BP 5%

Later (just before going to bed)
-Mix a little Queene Helene Mint Julep Mask with some Calamine Lotion and spot treat

Any comments or advice is most welcome

Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
(female)

portrgirl HB User

Do you have anymore information on Chloroxylenol? Where can you find products that contain it?

Also, where do you find your bpo 5%?! I can't find it ANYWHERE! And the 10% is just too harsh...

Old 06-25-2005, 06:47 AM   #6

pick_n_pock HB User

grrrr i just spent ages typing up a reply and lost it

Chloroxylenol in the antibacterial ingredient used in soaps found in hospitals, and some schools etc... it's the stuff that doctors use to scrub up with befor surgery etc... so i interpret this to mean that it is a strong but gentle antiseptic.

It's found in Dettol antiseptic liquid, Dettol antiseptic cream, Dettol Antibacterial liquid soap ( you can find these in the UK, Aus and NZ not sure about the US) and soaps like Provon and Aloegaurd (US, can purchase over the internet)

I do have some concerns about the possibility of nasty side effects from long term use and am trying to get in contact with the makers. But I found a website called EWG Skin Deep- a safety assessment of ingredients in personal care products. Chloroxylenol has no implications in the categories of cancer, pregnancy concern, safety violation, harmful impurities, penetration enhancer, unassessed ingredient and only registered a tick in the allergen category with the following warning

May cause the immune system to overreact and damage the skin, an allergic response called sensitization that can include itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering

Government & Industry Toxicity Category Explanation
CIR Category 1: Safe as used. [CIR 2003]

CIR Category 11: Max "as used" concentration is basis of safety assessment. [CIR 2003]

UNECE R22: Harmful if swallowed. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive 67/548/EEC]

UNECE R36/38: Irritating to eyes and skin. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive 67/548/EEC]

UNECE R43: May cause sensitisation by skin contact. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive 67/548/EEC]

I have used it for a month without any problems... i suppose if it's okay for doctors and nurses to use on their hands and arms numerous times a day, long term, it's possible that the same might be presumed for use on the face once or twice a day...that sounds reasonable doesn't it?

As for the BP5% since I live in Australia i don't know how much help I can be but I use Oxy 5% (an american product) that I purchase from any local chemist/pharmacy/drugstore...perhaps just look for oxy products it should be where they are?? otherwise a guy named Dan has a 2.5% BP gel that you can purchase over the net i think the brand name is "The Regimen"...unfortunately i don't think i can list the website here

Good Luck

Last edited by pick_n_pock; 06-25-2005 at 06:55 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:51 AM   #7

pick_n_pock HB User

BY the way on the skin deep website BP registers a tick in the categories of "cancer","unassessed ingredient", and "allergen" with the following warnings

"May cause the immune system to overreact and damage the skin, an allergic response called sensitization that can include itching, burning, scaling, hives, and blistering
Thought to possibly cause cancer in humans, based on limited data
Irritating to the eyes
Not yet assessed for safety by the cosmetic industry's Cosmetics Ingredient Review board
Pose(s) potential risks to wildlife and the environment through human excretion of cosmetic chemicals or the disposal of cosmetic products that ultimately contaminate rivers, streams, air, or soil

Government & Industry Toxicity Category Explanation
Group 3: The agent (mixture or exposure circumstance) is not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans: This category is used most commonly for agents, mixtures and exposure circumstances for which the evidence of carcinogenicity is inadequate in humans and inadequate or limited in experimental animals. Exceptionally, agents (mixtures) for which the evidence of carcinogenicity is inadequate in humans but sufficient in experimental animals may be placed in this category when there is strong evidence that the mechanism of carcinogenicity in experimental animals does not operate in humans. Agents, mixtures and exposure circumstances that do not fall into any other group are also placed in this category. [IARC, 2004]

UNECE R2: Risk of explosion by shock, friction, fire or other sources of ignition. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive 67/548/EEC]

UNECE R36: Irritating to eyes. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive 67/548/EEC]

UNECE R43: May cause sensitisation by skin contact. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive 67/548/EEC]

UNECE R22: Harmful if swallowed. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive 67/548/EEC]

UNECE R51: Toxic to aquatic organisms. [UNECE, 2004; EU Directive "

so it looks like chloroxylenol is safer than BP ... especially if you happen to be an aquatic organism

Old 06-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
(female)

portrgirl HB User

Great information! I looked Chloroxylenol up also, and found others on another board who love washes with it in it. I've seen the site you talked about too. If you do a search on practically any ingredient in cosmetics/personal hygiene, it'll pop up. I'm very tempted to get AloeGuard, it seems better for acne (.5% Chlor.) and sounds less harsh than Provon. Keep updating on your experience with it! You're using the Dettol cream and no bpo now, right?

About the bpo... No luck whatsoever in finding 5% ANYWHERE. I can't even find it on ************** (just my university's campus health center but it closes too early for me to get there - go figure). Diluting 10% w/ lotion doesn't work. It's still just as strong bc it's bascially the same as just moisturizing after applying.

I went out and bought 2.5% (Neutrogena On-The-Spot) and used it last night taking *Dan's* advice to apply more than a thin layer (not quite the two finger lengths worth that he suggests though!) and this morning pimples that were coming up last night are gone or diminished. YAY! I'm also using Equate brand of healthy skin w/spf. I bought the stuff a few weeks ago but then got scared to use it. I came accross the thread about it (Neutrogena) on here and realized that it helps a lot of people, so I'm trying that also.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:35 AM   #9

pick_n_pock HB User

No I am still using BP, but just as a on-the-spot treatment at night.

The Dettol cream is great for helping prevent my usual breakouts. Just before I started the Dettol cream I was getting 3-5 new pimples a day. Now I only get about 3-5 in a week, a pretty good improvement in my opinion

However, I found that when it came to healing although the Dettol cream would "dry up" the pimple within a day or two, i would then have a soft flatish red bump in place of the pimple that would hang around for about a week... not the most desirable result in my opinion. But i've found that using BP as a spot treatment seems to help dry the pimple up without the lingering bump.

If I ever get "clear" I'll keep using the Dettol cream (as a preventative measure) and stop the BP

Old 07-03-2005, 01:40 AM   #10

pick_n_pock HB User

UPDATE:

my skin hasn't looked this good in about 5 months!!

right now I have no pustules, cysts or nodules! NONE!! I just have a couple of small whiteheads or clogged pores (I tried epidermx again a few days ago and I think it brought some gunk to the surface)

I am still slightly self concious about my face, mostly due to the scarring, but I have come a long way when you consider that a little over a month ago I hated leaving the house and would spend hours each day pouring over the posts on message boards like these!

Regime

Morning
-Wash face with gentle non-medicated cleanser (cetaphil) and VERY lightly exfoliate with Facial Buff Puff
-Apply SA 2% (Oxy medicated wipes)
-Apply Dettol Soothing Antiseptic Cream to areas with active acne/usually affected by acne
-Moisturise (Clean and Clear Morning Glow)

Night
-Wash face with gentle non-medicated cleanser
-Apply Dettol Cream
-Moisturise
-Spot treat with BP 5%

Closed Thread