It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User
Spiro and Potassium Levels

I'm taking spiro and I know that it can raise potassium levels so you have to be careful how much potassium you take in. Well I have been drinking 8 oz. of pomegranate juice per day and noticed that it has 8% potassium in it. Would this be enough to cause me any harm? Going by the rest of my diet (chicken, turkey, other lean meats, salads, oatmeal, whole grains) this seems to be the only significant source of potassium that is entering my body. I am still scared!! Does anyone know anything more about this?

Old 05-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

TKK3 HB User
Re: Spiro and Potassium Levels

I am not sure about the potassium question, but I am curious to know if it is working for you and if you are experiencing any side effects. Also, are you taking it alone or with Birth Control pills?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Hi there. Well I was on Spiro for about a year in the past and it worked very well, especially for oiliness. About two years after finishing Accutane, I started getting mild - moderate acne again so I went on Spiro, and yes it does keep things "under control." I went off it because I had to start taking other medications (unrelated to acne) and I thought the whole "mix" of medications probably wasnt good for my body so I gave myself a break off spiro. Now I am back on it and oiliness/breakouts seem to be staying in check, although I don't know if it is the spiro that is helping or the microdermabrasion / AHA peels I have been getting Probably a combination of all the above!

I have been on birth control consistently for about five years now. I am taking Trilvellin (sp?) which is a knock off of Ortho. I have tried Ortho Tri Cyclen, Ortho Low, and Desogen and now I am on Trilevllin and never noticed a difference in any of them. Some people really notice a difference in their skin with birth control, but I never have. It is recommended you are on birth control if taking spiro because it can have negative effects on a fetus if you happen to get pregnant.

Hope all this helps

Old 05-26-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Oh I forgot to address the side effects question. It is a diuretic, so it'll make you pee... a lot. That is the only major side effect I have experienced. It's a bit annoying getting up to go to the bathroom three times a night, but for clear skin, it's worth it!

Old 05-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

My doctor ran blood test while I was on spiro just to make sure my potassium levels where ok, and yes its a diuretic, so you will have to go to the bathroom quite a bit, hope it keeps your skin clear. Did not work for me but has been a miracle for others!

Closed Thread