It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

robertthepillow HB User
sun tanning

...ok well....i come from a warm country and ive never really had bad acne..till now, and i would like to go to one of these sun bed places and see if it helps, as it has helped my sister....but i do not want to risk cancer, so just wondering how long i would have to go on for...and would mabey..like 2mins once a month do?
i would ask my sister...but shes goes rather often...so im too sure she would really be much help...

thnx in advance

Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: sun tanning

2 minutes once a month is going to do nothing

5-7 minutes 1-2 a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
(male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

I recently started getting acne to. I started tanning everyday, and since i have pretty dark skin I go for about 20 minutes. If your white, then i'd start at like 6 minutes, and build up to 20. I only went twice so far, after 2 weeks I hope my skin looks a lot better. 5-7 minutes twice a week? I don't know if that would help. But if you do go, make sure you use a non-comedegenic mousturizer after. Use plenty, dry skin can break out!!

Old 05-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #4

sadend HB User

you start off at 6 mins twice a week and if you are light skinned work up to 12 mins. Go to a good tanning salon and ask to use an "orbit". That machine is made by the company Dr. Mueller.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
Inactive

Takara HB User

Sun tanning actually dries the skin up (initially helping acne), but then your skin retaliates by Overproducing oil to make up for the dryness. This actually causes MORE acne.

Not to mention that even tanning once almost doubles your risk for skin cancer. Did you know that skin cancer is more prevalent than many other cancers combined? Tanning is also the number one cause of wrinkles.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:20 AM   #6
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

I tanned last year for 3-4 months to see if it would help my acne...what a stupid thing to do...I learned my lesson! It made my acne worse, and not only that...if you have any scarring, it makes it darker and harder to remove in the future.

I wouldn't do it...it is not the way to get rid of acne.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
(male)

mikegoons HB User

tanning makes it better at first but then ur body begins to procuce more oil then u can handle cause u get so dry. The day or 2 after u tan u look ok but then it just get outta hand. I had to tan for spring break and then continued to alittle after and it ruined my skin real bad. Might be different for different people though . ..

Old 05-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

robertthepillow HB User

....well takra thts actually why i dont really want to do this....and why i was hoping to mabey only do it for a few mins, ur all talkin about 12 and 20 mins thou ....im not sure if thats very safe?:S

im pretty much used to the sun, ive lived in south africa for most of my life....so...i dont know....i really dotn want to do it for so long:S

....if i do do it, is there anything that u suggest for afterwards?...like creams and stuff..

Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

robertthepillow HB User

well.....my sister started doing iot and her skin is alot better....so i dont know, because im not used to this weather i was thinking that mabey its because of the lack of sun, so mabey i ned to just go every few weeks?....mabey my skin is used to aving sun and wouldnt get too oily?? :S i dunt kno:S *confusion*lol....i just dotn want to risk skin cancer thou..

Old 05-28-2005, 11:13 AM   #10

nm80 HB User

if I am trying to get rid of redmarks (im using azelex) does it hurt to tan moderately?

Old 05-28-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
(male)

EnergyRush HB User

nm80,

The tanning is actually just going to make your red marks darker (more permanent)...so it is actually just going to do the opposite of what you are using the cream for.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Don't do it - you'll just trade being acne free NOW to having wrinkles LATER. Its not worth it.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:24 PM   #13

nm80 HB User

that's what i was afraid of..i am tanning now but i put a towel over my face....but how about being out in the sun in the summer? i am going to be out a lot and it's totally unavoidable..are tanning beds worse than actual sunlight?

Old 05-28-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

Yes, tanning beds are worse than sunlight.. tanning beds have more of the harmful cancer causing rays. However, neither is good for your skin. I tan all the time... I know it' bad, but it does make my skin look much better! To make up for all the cancer causing rays and to prevent the pre-mature aging, I try and compensate by drinking lots of anti-oxidant rich green tea and pomegranate juice, taking vitamins and herbal supplements, and I use Renova also.

A great product that I would recommend to everyone that wants to be tan is that new Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Mist. Doesn't make your hands orange, and perfect application and color EVERY time! I love it. It makes me look soo tan and never streaky. It's impossible to mess up. I wouldn't recommend using it on the face though - I did and I broke out a couple days later. But for tan body - thumbs up.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie4u22
I wouldn't recommend using it on the face though - I did and I broke out a couple days later. But for tan body - thumbs up.
Yeah, I had the same problem with Loreals bronzer - it had a beautiful color and application but it caused 10s of tiny little bumps under my skin.

Now I use a spray tan by Sun Laboratories. Its a bit messy (cleaning the floor!!) but the coverage is so natural esp. on the hands which can be really difficult to get natural looking. I think the key is gradual 'tanning' over a few days instead of going from pasty to bronzed overnight.

Closed Thread