It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Veteran

laur HB User
Post I'm not stopping the spiro yet, but has it helped everyone??

Just preparing in case I need to CONVINCE myself it hasn't helped. Don't get me wrong, I am spiro's biggest advocate. It kept me completely clear for 5 years. I could've rubbed grease all over my face and then gone to bed and not even a pimple.

However, it stopped working for me right before my hysterectomy it just didn't seem to be able to keep up. I was taking 125mg and even tried to increase the dose. NO LUCK. But since Ive taken accutane and currently take a maintenance dose of it, I thought maybe now the spiro could keep up. I started last sept with 100mg then increased to 150 mg 2 months later....only DRY skin...severely dry from the meds. So I dropped back to 50 mg wanting to keep it because I still believed in it sosooooo much. Was I wrong?? I even started the yasmin 14 weeks ago and thought the little extra spiro in there would also help.

BUT at the same time I'm afraid it's doing "something" so I am afraid to stop taking it.
Anybody NOT have good results with spiro?
L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2003, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
Can't you just use a moisturizer if your skin gets too dry from increasing the Spiro dose?What does your doctor think about it?Does he think its safe?I would think it would be safe since your closely monitered by your doctor.Might be worth a try.Can you not use moisturizer when you have Lupus with dry skin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2003, 04:05 AM   #3

~Cansu~ HB User
I would stop taking spiro. Accutane + spiro is not a very good combination for the skin. If you are concerned about acne, I think Accutane should do the work but I don't know.

I've been on spiro for 2 years. My current dosage is 200mg/day. It worked great for a year but I've been getting some serious breakouts for the past 2 weeks. I don't know why. Maybe it stopped working? *sigh*

(edit) I've just read the other thread you started. I really do not know much about the lupus rashes but I know dry skin may also cause a skin rash and things may look worse. Spiro alone makes my skin very dry and red. Sorry, I wish I could help more. (/edit)

[This message has been edited by ~Cansu~ (edited 05-08-2003).]

Old 05-08-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran

laur HB User
Thanks for the replies. As far as moisturizers, EVERYTHING I have ever tried breaks me out. With Lupus, my immune system attacks my own body, even whan there is no problem. If I use something that it "sees" as an enemy, it goes on the attack. The jojoba oil is the only thing that has ever helped me.

AS far as the accutane, I've cut down to 2 pills per week which is about the minimum at this time. I'm hoping to go off someday, but can't right now. Even at 7 days per week for 5 months though it never cleared me and after I stopped, I was broken out again like I had neve taken it with in 5 days. Of course this was before I knew I had lupus. .

I drink 1 1/2 gallons of water per day to combat the dryness and as I said the jojoba oil helps with that, but Im not sure about staying with the jojoba. Its hard to give up something that I've believed in though.
I will think about everything and slowly make changes until I find the right path.

Im not sure about you with the spiro and don't want to discourage you, but for me it really kept me clear at 125mg for 5 years. Not one pimple and then one day it started again. The spiro no longer controlled it even at the high dose of 200mg.

Good luck

Closed Thread