It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #1

wreckosaurus HB User
worked for me, maybe for you?

I'm making this post because I feel I should share this with everyone, if I'm right, it would be a shame to keep it to myself. I have had acne for maybe 5 years now, very very bad, and it has been terrible on my self esteem, and social life, etc., etc. you know what I mean. I've been on doxycycline for a year now, and it's worked pretty well, but just recently I started taking this vitamin/supplement called MSM, methylsulfonylmethane. I started taking it because I heard it was good for healing scars, well after I started taking it, I noticed my acne had gone down a little. Then I read the jar, and it said you can take up to 8 a day, so I did. And my acne decreased dramatically and I feel great. I can't say for sure if it is because of this supplement, or maybe in combination with they doxy, I don't know, but I'm not going to stop taking it to find out. When I first started taking it and when I upped the amount I took, I found an improvement in my skin, possible coincidence? maybe, I don't know, maybe it's just finally going away on its own, but I really think it has something to do with this. If it can help to heal scars, then there is some kind of link to the skin, so it's very possible it can help cure acne too. I know mostly it's used to treat like weak joints or something. So I really hope this can help other people out there, because I know how horrible it is to have acne and to search in vain for treatments and waste tons and tons of money. I can't guarantee any kind of success, but when you're desperate... what do you have to lose, I mean it's just a vitamin, it's not like acutane or anything serious. I don't really know much about it, so ask your doctor or the guy at GNC. I truly hope this can help at least one person out there. Anyone else have any experiences with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
(male)

primo1 HB User
Re: worked for me, maybe for you?

hi,

im glad its working for you. this sounds interesting. did you notice any difference with your scars?

Old 05-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #3

wreckosaurus HB User

a little bit yeah, but I've only been taking it for a couple weeks. Any improvement was gradual, so it wasn't as noticable or dramatic as the improvement in acne. But yeah, I would have to say it looks a little better

Old 05-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
(female)

pink-pajamas HB User

Here is some info I found on the net about this stuff....

A dietary supplement to support joint function and skin health.This naturally occurring sulfur compound has a vitamin-like normalizing influence on body functions. A low concentration of MSM blood levels has been associated with both psychological and physical stress, organ and tissue malfunction, fatigue, and susceptibility to disease. It has been used as a nutritional support when allergies are present as well as for digestive complaints and chemical sensitivities because it coats the entire digestive tract, making it harder for most allergens to bind and cause damage. It helps to regulate pro-inflammatory enzymes associated with connective tissue dysfunctions. MSM is a precursor to the bodyís production of Methionine (helps prevent fatty deposits in the arteries) and to powerful antioxidants that help protect the liver, lungs, digestive organs and blood cells.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

health15 HB User

Interesting. This stuff is in Actimine.

Methylsulfonyl Methane- Has been shown to improve the permeability of cell walls which allows nutrients to flow in and out of cells with ease. This helps deliver nutrients to the cells and dispose of wastes.
Actimine Contains: 1500mg

I couldn't take Actimine because it caused some digestive problems. But, I bet taking MSM along with an antioxidant would be a great way to treat acne.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

The Sulfur in MSM really helps me.

Closed Thread