It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User
Can you live on accutane?

I'm getting ready to start accutane in a couple weeks and i just realized im going to have to get a job over the summer. Are you able to live life as usual while on accutane? are the dryness and initial breakout enough to make it impossible to look okay out in public? I really need to know how bad its going to be, thanks.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
(male)

MAD 4 IT! HB User
Re: Can you live on accutane?

Hey Amy!
I'm on day 13 of accutane and its been a rollercoaster of a ride!!!

I am startin too clear up already BUT my skin is very very dry flakey and crusty which does look rather unattractive, using a good moisturizer really helps but then my skin looks super oily!

my lips are really chapped they crack in the corners wen i eat lol!

my scalp gets really itchy at times aswell, i also have dry eyes but eye drops fix that no problem!!

i also got sunburnt pretty bad yesterday, had suncream on and wasnt even out that long but still burnt so skin sensitivity is somethin to look for aswell!!

Now thats all the bad stuff, but really its not that bad considering that i am startin to see results very quickly, i must be one of the lucky ones cos i never thought it wud work this fast!!

i think everyone reacts differently to the accutane so its hard to say how it will affect somebody else, read othere posts and keep askin questions cos there always someone on these boards with good answers!!!!

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

thank u so much for the reply! i just really need answers from someone who was on accutane while having a job or going to school ...anyone else?

Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Yes you can live life while on Accutane. If you can deal with the daily regiment of acne (washing face, applying topicals, and applying moisturizer), then you can deal with being on Accutane. The only difference is that you have to constantly apply lip moisturizer. Sometimes, I've felt like I put it on once every 30 minutes. Remember your sunblock for the summer.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
(male)

Raziel_Eidos HB User

Hello Amy,
your question was one of the things I was worrying about before I went onto accutane, because I have to talk and look at people all day long on my job. I've been on it for about 2 months and I had my initial breakout which was abit depressing but that clears in a couple of weeks, I've had dry lips with I conquered with lip salve, moisturiser for my dry skin, one of the worst I had was itchy and flakey scalp, that was terrible, but my Dr. gave me somthing that fixed that. But today however I am not going to go to work, I am going to go see the Dr. as I have woke up this morning with a big blotchy red rash all over my cheeks, its like a chronic itching, I'm not itching it but I want to very much so and it looks awful and I dont want people at working seeing me like this, Im hopeing the Dr. will give me somthing that will get rid of it. Its so strange as I was looking in the mirror last night and my skin was crystal clear and now 'BOOM', just like that my skin is a mess again.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:56 AM   #6
(female)

polkadot83 HB User

what is the procedure for going on accutane? do you have to go in every month for blood tests? is it dangerous to go on it? after the initial breakout, are there anymore, or is it smooth sailing from there?

Old 05-31-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

Thank you for the responses! Keep them coming if there are anymore, i really need the support and advice! To answer your question, im not sure about breaking out after an initial breakout, im not on accutane just yet so im not sure but yes you go in every month for blood tests and it isnt really dangerous if youre taking care of yourself and going to all your check ups, even tho for some they have very bad reactions to it.

Closed Thread