It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Anyone take meal replacement shakes?

I was just wondering if anyone takes meal replacement shakes? I originally wanted to take a weight-gainer shake, but most are too high in sugar or contain maltodextrin. Although more expensive, I am able to buy meal replacement shakes which are lower in sugar and do not contain maltodextrin. However, I am still concerned that whey protein make contribute to acne.

Does anyone take meal replacement shakes? Do you notice if it affects your acne? Which ones have you tried.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
(female)

tracy0021 HB User
Re: Anyone take meal replacement shakes?

hi andrew, i was a bodybuilder in college(Xavier) and creatine with glutamax is what we used, it will put the weight on you and build muscle mass. i have very acne prone skin and i never had a problem with it at all! any gnc store sells the creatine in powder form and you mix it into milk, juice, or water. also it fills you up forever and gives you energy but the best benefits for putting on weight and mass is to workout right after you drink it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 03:36 AM   #3
(male)

euro9 HB User

yeah I am wondering the same thing - most are really high in carbs and refined sugar - I asked one company waht the glycemic index was on one of their drinks and they said 150!!!! (max is usually 100) I am thinking of buying a protein shake with no carbs, but of course they don't have as many calories- so I don't know. Also, I have the same worries as you regarding whey protein , but I am gonna risk it, as many things on here regarded as no-nos such as dairy products, bread - don't seem to break me out.

I am looking at the most natural ones . Tropicana (not the juice drink!) seems OK . Not sure about creatine - i dont trust that .

Any else got info - it'd be much appreciated

Old 05-31-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
(female)

health15 HB User

I started weight training and drank a whey protein shake 1-2 times a day. I am a partial vegetarian, so I never drink milk but sometimes eat a little cheese. It was biochem ultimate protein system. It is made for weight training so it has all of the other stuff in it. My face got really bad. I was starting to break out more than usual when I started using it, so something else must have started my acne to get worse. But my face got to the point that I would call it moderate acne. I never had moderate acne in my life! Has always been mild. Maybe my body wasn't use to all of that dairy. I stopped drinking the whey shakes and now have pure egg white protein powder that I mix with soy milk. It is hard to say for sure if it was the whey because when I stopped drinking it I also started using other stuff for my acne and it is going away. I guess everyone is different.

Last edited by health15; 05-31-2005 at 06:49 AM.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:12 AM   #5
(male)

johnston HB User

yea im also very interested in this, creatine is very safe and is the most tested substance, its found naturally in foods such as steak. I currently take neither but over the summer am going to start on protein and shakes or creatine, im starting accutane tomorrow aswell, so i want to know if either of this will affect it.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

creatine does not effect hormone levels whatsoever, so there are no side effects like bad skin or mood swings. its a naturally occuring substance found in the muscles and provides energy and mass to the muscles. any excess creatine in the body is eliminated in the waste cycle. hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

sorry took so long to reply, have been on vacation.

Closed Thread