It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #1

aprilnichole HB User
Still getting zits, what am I doing wrong? help!

Sorry everyone, this will be long:
I want to know why I STILL break out!?!? I have been reading these boards for almost a year now and I have taken a lot of advice from all of you…and consequently have tried many new methods to battle my acne. However, after all of my hard effort and money spent, I still suffer bad breakouts. Right now for instance, I am clearing up a bad breakout that I suffered on BOTH sides of my face, the scabs are so bad that makeup doesn’t even cover them and I spend my days hiding from the world and my friends and even my boyfriend if I can help it (which is hard to do considering I live with him!) I am even thinking of canceling a dinner obligation I have tonight because of the state of my skin right now.
I feel like once I have clear skin (which only lasts a week or so) I start to feel OK and like myself again because at least I can hide the red marks (which I have MANY) with makeup…. But then I suffer a bad week (or 2) and breakout all over again :-( . How can I even begin to clear up the red marks if I keep getting new acne therefore adding more red marks to my face?
I would like to tell you all what I currently take/do for my skin and please tell me if I am missing something, doing something wrong? Doing too much? Not enough? Any thoughts at all I would greatly appreciate it… and pleeeeease don’t be so quick to say, “why don’t you just go on Accutane?” At this point in my life, given the fact that I already suffer mild depression from acne, I can NOT handle the initial breakout, especially with summer coming, no way!
My routine:
Wash face with Cetaphil cleanser 2x a day (admittedly I do wash my face sometimes 3 times a day but I have to if I want to workout or have to reapply my makeup for the evening time, etc.)

Moisturize with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion (once or twice a day)
Spot treat with DUAC and/or REZAMID at night

Exfoliate with baking soda paste, every other day (just recently started this)

Ingest daily:
Bcp; ortho tri-cyclen
Minocycline 100 mg 2x day (have been on this for 10 months)
Zinc
Vit a
Vit c
Vit e
Vit b-complex
Flax seed oil
Milk thistle
One a day multivitamin

Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day, sometimes very much more than that.
Green tea (approx. 4 cups per week)

Here is where I admit some pitfalls in my routine:
On a very very rare occasion I fall asleep with makeup on
I tan (average 2-3 times per week)
I don’t drink green tea every day (should I? Would this help)
I don’t always take my antibiotics at even intervals of time and for a while I went down to only 1 pill per day and just recently bumped myself up to 2, which is what my derm wants me to take anyway) do you think this change messed with my skin?
I don’t really consider my diet when it comes to taking care of my skin, so yea I do indulge in some of the drinks and foods I know many of you try to stay away from, but everything in moderation of course.

OK so now you know how I try to care for my skin: THOUGHTS???

Last edited by aprilnichole; 05-31-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #2

pam0511 HB User
Re: Still getting zits, what am I doing wrong? help!

when i took flax seed i broke out very quickly, so maybe thats it.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #3

aprilnichole HB User
Angry Re: Still getting zits, what am I doing wrong? help!

by the way, I am a 26 year old female and have sufferend mild to moderate acne since I was a young teenager, it seemed to get really bad though just one year ago which is why it now looks like a war zone on my face from such horrible breakouts !

Old 05-31-2005, 03:33 PM   #4

aprilnichole HB User

I started taking the flax seed April 18th, I take the max. amount recommended (according to bottle label) which is 3000 mg/day. Guess maybe I should cut way back or cut it out all together??
thanks, I never thought that this could be the problem.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Tough one ...any conditons you have a problem with that seem unrelated ie kidney infections,etc? Do you drink a lot of alcohol? Is your diet based around just a few things? Tanning can aggrevate acne, what kind of acne do you have? Has it gotten worse since the change in season? Not sure where you live but has it acted up when it started warming up being humid?

Last edited by deltoro; 05-31-2005 at 04:09 PM.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cassie4u22 HB User

I have never tried Cetaphyl face washes, but I have heard from a lot of people that they don't do much for acne (even people on this board have said that). I use the new Oil of Olay Clarity line of face wash/scrub that claims to help prevent zits even during "that time" of the month - it's been working really great so far.

Have you tried Spironolactone? It is a steriod that blocks androgens, a male hormone that causes acne. Since you said you break out really bad in a sort of "cycle" (every couple weeks) it sounds like you may have acne that is significantly due to hormone fluctuations. Lots of people have had success with spiro. If you haven't tried it, I would suggest asking your derm about it.

The Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion is great - I would say keep using that. The AHA's in it are GREAT for the skin. I use it myself, along with AHA peels; all which help shed all that dead skin that can clog pores.

Also, make sure you are sticking to your plan/medications long enough. Each time you switch a cleanser, herbal supplement, or medication, make sure to give it at least 4 -6 weeks to kick in! Constantly switching your facial treatments may not be giving anything time to work. (I dont know if this is the case or not, but I know that it was a problem for me a while ago - then I stuck to something for a couple months and viola - skin started to look better.)

I know, I know, I know that Accutane is not an option for you right now, but if the time comes that you feel you are ready - trust me, it's worth it. The initial breakout (if you get it - some people dont) IS horrible, but after the storm, there is not a greater blessing than that beautiful, clear, porcelain skin staring back at you in the mirror!

Hope this advice helps.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #7

aprilnichole HB User

thank you for the advice. I do normally stick to things for a while and I haven't added anything new other than the flax seed and milk thistle in the last few weeks, I have not taken anything away from my routine either. I think I will cut back on flax seed and keep everything else the same for now.. but I am going to ask my derm. about Spiro because yes I have heard about this and it does sound like it could help me, let's hope!
thanks!

Old 05-31-2005, 04:35 PM   #8

aprilnichole HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltoro
Tough one ...any conditons you have a problem with that seem unrelated ie kidney infections,etc? Do you drink a lot of alcohol? Is your diet based around just a few things? Tanning can aggrevate acne, what kind of acne do you have? Has it gotten worse since the change in season? Not sure where you live but has it acted up when it started warming up being humid?

It's weird because it seems like when I do stop tanning for a while it doesn't seem to make a difference either way. I live in the NW, it could be seasonal acne but to tell you the truth I battle these breakouts all freaking year round! It's a never ending cycle with me :-( I drink maaaaybe 2 drinks a week, sometimes not at all. and the acne that I have is mostly pustules with the occasional cyst.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #9

sadend HB User

its not tanning it sounds hormonal,
Get a script for accutane (low dose) i had the same thing and i also did evreything right nothing helped but the magic red pills get accutane

Old 06-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User

Well I can tell you one thing to never ever do. Don't sleep w/ your makeup on! Trust me it makes a big difference. Your skin heals itself while you sleep. Having the makeup on all night doesn't allow it to breathe. What other topicals have you tried? I am using Differin and after a month of breaking out I think it is working.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
(male)

utlonhghorn HB User

I would definitely try out Retin A Micro. Nothing worked for me either but Retin A cleared me up. Get a prescription and try that out for 12 weeks. It even helps fade red marks.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #12
(female)

Lilac123 HB User

It seems the only thing you haven't tried to focus on is diet. There may be something in your diet that you don't realize is triggering your acne. Do a web search for "Dr. Robert Preston, acne" (comes up quick using ***). He wrote an article on the effects of diet on acne I've found very helpful. It's definitely working for me.

Just extra info to consider.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #13

aprilnichole HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac123
It seems the only thing you haven't tried to focus on is diet. There may be something in your diet that you don't realize is triggering your acne. Do a web search for "Dr. Robert Preston, acne" (comes up quick using ***). He wrote an article on the effects of diet on acne I've found very helpful. It's definitely working for me.

Just extra info to consider.

thanks, I'll look into that right now!

Closed Thread